stakeside

Proper oil pressure for DA6

I would like to know oil pressure at idle for the DA6. I am showing 10 to 20 psi. Is there an adjustment on the engine and how do you set it?

Fill me in Please.  My old cars are 30's and 40's vintage. What's a DA6 ?  10 to 20 is a pretty good spread.  Is the engine hot or cold when you're getting these readings?

Posted (edited)

Anything above 15 psi at idle should be good. Reg is correct as far as I know. There should be an oil pressure relief valve on the generator/starter side of the engine. It should have an acorn shaped cap. Check to see if the valve is clean. Be certain to note how many revolutions you turn if you remove the valve. Be certain to be careful of putting the spring back in correctly if you remove it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I don't know for the DA. The DD manual says at normal driving speeds it should be 25-30 psi with a warm engine and oil. They don't give an idle pressure.

16 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Fill me in Please.  My old cars are 30's and 40's vintage. What's a DA6 ?  10 to 20 is a pretty good spread.  Is the engine hot or cold when you're getting these readings?

Used in Dodge Bros trucks and cars from 1928 to 1930.

2956BF90-5E10-40CA-A658-06C1A58AB607.thumb.jpeg.2fc52391267722b19eb8ba0877d31239.jpeg

The pressure relief valve is the round, protrusion item down by the oil pan just aft of the oil filler tube.

I was always to understand it was about volume more so then pressure. Mid 20's Franklins dump a ton of oil on the timing chain and important parts but really shows low pressure because of the amount poured into the timing gear.

12 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I was always to understand it was about volume more so then pressure. Mid 20's Franklins dump a ton of oil on the timing chain and important parts but really shows low pressure because of the amount poured into the timing gear.

Yes and no, what started out as a splash lubrication system eventually morphed into a pressure lubrication system as engine revs and compression units increased, the crankshaft loads required more pressure as engines developed.