Proper oil pressure for DA6

Anything above 15 psi at idle should be good. Reg is correct as far as I know. There should be an oil pressure relief valve on the generator/starter side of the engine. It should have an acorn shaped cap. Check to see if the valve is clean. Be certain to note how many revolutions you turn if you remove the valve. Be certain to be careful of putting the spring back in correctly if you remove it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Fill me in Please.  My old cars are 30's and 40's vintage. What's a DA6 ?  10 to 20 is a pretty good spread.  Is the engine hot or cold when you're getting these readings?

Used in Dodge Bros trucks and cars from 1928 to 1930.

2956BF90-5E10-40CA-A658-06C1A58AB607.thumb.jpeg.2fc52391267722b19eb8ba0877d31239.jpeg

12 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I was always to understand it was about volume more so then pressure. Mid 20's Franklins dump a ton of oil on the timing chain and important parts but really shows low pressure because of the amount poured into the timing gear.

Yes and no, what started out as a splash lubrication system eventually morphed into a pressure lubrication system as engine revs and compression units increased, the crankshaft loads required more pressure as engines developed.

• 2 months later...

I am getting excessive oil flow out of rear engine seal. I replaced the rear felt seal but did not stop the flow. I understand some flow can be expected.

Possible reasons:

1) excessive rear main bearing wear.

2) oil pressure is to high resulting in to excessive oil flow

3) others??? 

I could increase the diameter of the overflow tube?

Thanks for replies on oil quantity.

I could not find any quantity listed in the owners manual and from past experiences I am reluctant to trust dip stick alone. Who knows that it is the correct dip stick for that engine or has not been modified. I want to fill an engine that has been reconditioned so there is no sludge.

Thanks again.

My first edition DA manual on page 80 says 1 1/2 gallons US, six quarts which would be different in litres. I really would like to compare export manuals to the US versions. I know there has to be differences, like metric measurement and right hand drive pictures. Would you scan your manual and email it to me?  I am trying to get a complete set of manuals for the DB club. I just scanned 1100 pages of service bulletins which will soon be posted on the DBC website. In it was a complete list of all owners manuals from 1929 to 1937 with edition numbers, both car and truck. BUT it was only for US models. The export sales were very important to DB, especially in the early years. 

Thanks, I missed it. Looked a number of times, too. Wife would say I should have had a girls look!!

The only manual I have is the copy I got from the Chrysler Historical collection (USA) around 45 years ago so I would think it is the same as the one you have, it is certainly left hand drive. I have never seen an "Export" or RHD version and do not know if they exist or not, although DA manuals are pretty rare over here anyway. I have probably only seen a couple in that time. Because of the relatively low numbers exported to Australia, most makes just used the USA version, although I cannot say if Dodge did so. For example, I have an owners manual for a 1936 DeSoto (I have the car as well) and am pretty sure it is the manual that came with the car from new and it is a Richards (Australian) bodied car as well. 

Again, thanks for putting me straight.

HMMM. That makes me wonder too if there were manuals for export. I would think there should have been, but not seen any. Our parts books show left and right hand parts, such as steering boxes. I would have guessed there were owners manuals too, because of the different peddle arrangement, etc. Thanks for the response. 

On 7/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, Reg Evans said:

Fill me in Please.  My old cars are 30's and 40's vintage. What's a DA6 ?  10 to 20 is a pretty good spread.  Is the engine hot or cold when you're getting these readings?

These were the first 6 cylinder engines used used by Dodge Bros. They can be found in late GRAHAM Bros trucks also. Mine is in my Dodge Bros Series “E” 3/4 ton truck.

Chronically first came the Standard 6 than the Victory 6 than the DA 6. I recall they were modeled after the Continental 6.

Production started in 1927 and continued to 30’s.

Most obvious feature is the head mounted distributor and updraft carb.

2EC72FE3-7C69-4F5E-9CA2-BE82FE99F7F1.thumb.jpeg.fcd5af8f9a1a60ac6e17a145f0623ce7.jpeg

• 1 year later...

From the manual.

I think my pressure is too high also, but I have not touched anything yet, as I want to take the car on a decent run to make sure it is properly warmed up. Can't do that yet as it is not registered for road use. I am also unsure of the accuracy of the standard gauge, so will use a suitable accurate one when I adjust it.

Will be interested how you get on.

John

image.png.dbbaf23d4e3677c224c039a558690087.png

16 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

From the manual.

I think my pressure is too high also, but I have not touched anything yet, as I want to take the car on a decent run to make sure it is properly warmed up. Can't do that yet as it is not registered for road use. I am also unsure of the accuracy of the standard gauge, so will use a suitable accurate one when I adjust it.

Will be interested how you get on.

John

image.png.dbbaf23d4e3677c224c039a558690087.png

Thanks John for information. My DA6 truck manual did not have this information.

This is a rebuild engine and the shop did not set the valve. I will loosen 1/2 turn and check pressure .

Sherm here.

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

Still looking for reason of high oil pressure.

I did install another oil pressure gauge and it agreed with other gauge.

I backed off screw 2 turns and the pressure has not decreased. Is it possible the plunger may be stuck. If so, how do I verify if it is struck and would like to know if the entire relief valve can be removed.

724054935_prvalve.jpg.5ec8f7dc09c71cd541fb0c940f54dbb8.jpg

• Like 1

Sherman , just screw  whole unit right out , every easy . Make sure during adjustment your turning the inner plug for your adjustment not whole unit . the inner thread plug has the spring ahead of it and plunger ( that some find stuck ahead of that) . That inner pug is what pin keeps from moving  . Outter  piece is just tighten in . A gasket for acorn cap will be needed . I used 1/16" cork  ,paper leaked . Make note of plug depth to get close on reassembly . of coarse yours is quite off .