Sign in to follow this  
Dave Phillips

1929 Model 65 Diff Problems

Hi, 

I’ve had a oil leak on the pinion seal for a while, so last weekend I took it apart to replace the old seal with a modern one. On looking at the picture in my owners manual the diff looks to be a different design, the pinion is held in its own cage that screws into the front of the diff housing. I know the car is an early 29 could someone tell me if it’s the correct one.

Also the teeth on the pinion are very pitted, I’ve attached some pictures and was hoping someone might have a spare one that I could purchase, I’m in England but would be happy  to pay all costs, please message me if you can help.

Here are the numbers stamped on the shaft 265-74577 10-28

Many thanks in advance Cheers Dave

.F22CF5AC-34A0-4E73-AEFA-9C7050EC309E.thumb.jpeg.a351e807b1b29ed559ee662449611259.jpeg256E9B8D-1642-482D-90D2-E61C59BADFEB.thumb.jpeg.a12e1b7b629883c660a0d7c78baeaaa3.jpeg

I agree with Tinindian, if you only replace the pinion the diff will probably howl. Best to replace both crown and pinion as a matched set, if you can find them. 

The design of your pinion being in a screw in cage is probably original, Chrysler used this design on early cars and the numbers 10-28 stamped on your pinion would suggest it was made in Oct 1928. Bear in mind 1929 models were launched in July of 1928, so parts stamped Oct 1928 should be correct for your car.

I have seen several crown and pinion sets for sale on ebay.com.au in Australia over the last year, but be careful as early Chrysler parts vary a lot in size and design, so check sizes and measurements thoroughly.

If I were you, I would clean up your old gears, replace bearings and seals and use what you have with heavy gear oil, minimum EP140 (or better still EP160 if you can find it) and use the car while you look for replacement parts. The mileage most old cars travel the gears will probably work fine.

Viv.

I have a crown and pinion set here in Norway will check condition. Can trade for two modern seals which I need for my own Series 65s that drip but don't howl.