Just bought a 1947 Lincoln Convertible...    the power windows/top move but dont "work".   I am going to clean the reservoir and replace the fluid.   It is clear I am not going to find Brake Fluid M-3833-L.    I have read some articles that say use DOT-3, then some say use DOT-4 and then i read on that said use Mikes Miracle Oil.  Is there a best answer here and what is the capacity of the reservoir?  Thanks..   BTW, It is a BEAUTIFUL car but i think i have a long list of issues since it sat in a barn since 1977...  only 30K miles

Edited by Richard Patterson
Typo (see edit history)

Actually Mobil One is a great hydraulic fluid.  We use it in hydraulic gate systems and no problems!  Probably will work in the old hydraulics of the old window or top cylinders.  The biggest problem with any hydraulics is they all leak sooner or later.  So good seals are a must to keep it under control!   

Cool, we have a 48 in that color.  Along with various Fords and Lincolns, I also have a tractor.  So I put in hydraulic tractor fluid from NAPA.  Works well, and does not smell like ATF or ancient brake fluid.  Easier to clean up too.

Abe

You can get AW22 hydraulic fluid in 5 gallon barrels from Napa, we do for other hydraulic systems.  We used to buy it from Pennzoil but I think it's the same fluid.  But still small quantities I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.  

That is a great looking car, you are lucky to have found one in such great shape.

It is a good idea to flush the system with denatured alcohol before switching fluids. This will clean out most of the debris left by the brake fluid.

The system will probably have DOT 3 or its equivalent in it now. DOT 3 is a standard passed by the Department of Transportation in the early 1970's. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are for high temperature applications and are not needed for the windows and top.

If you refill with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1, you will have to flush the system every couple of years. Unlike the convertibles from the 1960's the system is not sealed and will absorb moisture. That is why most  owners have changed to hydraulic fluid or ATF. The added bonus is that the alternate fluids will  not damage paint if they leak.

Thanks Tom..  so your recommendation would be a hydraulic fluid then?   and what is the best way to flush the system?   I had planned to clean the reservoir with alcohol, not clear to me how to flush the rest of the lines...

12 minutes ago, 19tom40 said:

That is a great looking car, you are lucky to have found one in such great shape.

It is a good idea to flush the system with denatured alcohol before switching fluids. This will clean out most of the debris left by the brake fluid.

The system will probably have DOT 3 or its equivalent in it now. DOT 3 is a standard passed by the Department of Transportation in the early 1970's. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are for high temperature applications and are not needed for the windows and top.

If you refill with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1, you will have to flush the system every couple of years. Unlike the convertibles from the 1960's the system is not sealed and will absorb moisture. That is why most  owners have changed to hydraulic fluid or ATF. The added bonus is that the alternate fluids will  not damage paint if they leak.

Edited by Richard Patterson
typo (see edit history)

To flush the system, lower all windows to the bottom, lower the top, move the seat to the most rearward position. Disconnect the battery ground strap, remove and clean the reservoir with alcohol. fill the reservoir with alcohol, reconnect the ground strap to the battery, operate the windows one time and repeat the cleaning procedure.

Fill the reservoir with fluid, connect the ground strap operate the windows several times and then lower them, clean the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid, operate the windows and other systems that use the hydraulic pump several times to purge the air.

• Like 1

There is no pushing it down...    closes perfectly.   Not sure if there is something binding that is keeping if from completing opening?  Could I have too much hydraulic fluid in the reservoir?   No real documentation on how much to put in so i added until I could see it in the "cup" on the side of it.    Also, I am assuming it is a replacement top since there are no snaps along the bottom for a boot cover...  unless some came without that option?

The reservoir should have a fluid level mark. The 49-51 reservoir has the mark on the passenger side of the reservoir. The fluid should be at the level of the mark when the widows, top and power seat are all at the down or most rear ward position.

Post a photo of the top in the down position.

After looking at photos of Continentals for sale, it looks like the top should go down far enough so that the center of the top is even with the top of the top well. You may have a collection of dirt on the rams or a binding in the top mechanism.

I would check around for a good  convertible top shop in your area. You have some sort of bind or incorrect installation of the top. Find someone that has a good reputation on the convertibles from the 40's, 50's and 60's. After you find him, have him install the snaps for the boot and make you a boot.