A scenic route for an old Riviera

BulldogDriver

Hello all,

Names Ray and after 40 years have another first gen. Had two 65 Rivieras back in early 80’s that were one owner and I knew both of them. Lost them together in a fire that also got a 41 Lincoln Mark 1, and a very rare Chris Craft speed boat with twin Cadillac V8’s from the factory.  All were in my airplane hanger for the winter season and the plane was at another airport. Would have been ok losing the plane, sold it shortly after that.

Got lucky and picked up a 63 Desert Sand with Baronet cloth in Sandalwood, Custom trim, A/C, electric windows, cruise, and a fair amount of other options. Restored by a Buick dealership owner and sat on the showroom floor. Not a bad find for a couple weeks of looking. Plan is to drive her back from California to home in North Carolina. It’s a bucket list thing for me. 

Ray Morrison

E835B2B9-B918-44AE-B22A-5FB56EE2B46E.jpeg

138BA2FD-2158-4115-9094-2B2293206923.jpeg

• Like 10

Welcome to the forum Ray, and welcome back to the wonderful world of the Riviera!

As John said, Lovely car.

I can’t help you with “A scenic route for an old Riviera” from CA to NC, but it would be great to see your new car at our “Rivieras at the Park” here in North Carolina in September. Where in NC are you located? We don’t do a great deal of Riviera specific get togethers, but we do try to get together once every year in September.

Your next step would be to join the Riviera Owners Association, the link is in my signature block below.

Looking forward to meeting you, and seeing your new Riviera.

15 minutes ago, BulldogDriver said:

I’m north of Wake Forest. Already a member of ROA and intend to meet ‘at the park’.

Sounds great!

You must be a brand new member, you're not on my roster from the 15th of this month. Glad to have you, and looking forward to meeting you, and seeing your new Riviera.

9 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

I’m north of Wake Forest. Already a member of ROA and intend to meet ‘at the park’.

Ray, there is a local Buick Club of America chapter in the Raleigh, NC area. The "Tarheel Chapter". Our website is https://www.tarheelbuick.org. Our club picnic is September 21st. See address below. You are more than welcome to attend with your Riviera. We would love to have you there.

I admire you guys willing to drive your Riv cross country. I can't imagine! I fear the whole thing falling apart, haha. I have dreamed of taking mine from Seattle to Vegas. Driving down the strip in a Riv would be glorious. (Cleaning off all the bugs from the trip, not so much).

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Historic US 66 into Oklahoma then  US 64 across OK, AR, TN, and into NC. 

Yes.  And if you come east on US 64, I am 5 miles south of Hayesville, NC, a short detour, if you want a break.  A beautiful drive.

My friend drove his "new" '64 Riv from San Diego to Houston about 10 years ago.The seller said the car was ready to go, but before he could leave San Diego, he had to rebuild the carb. The engine would barely run and it was super rich.   His water pump failed in San Antonio. So check it out before hitting the road.

3 hours ago, bodayguy said:

I admire you guys willing to drive your Riv cross country. I can't imagine! I fear the whole thing falling apart, haha. I have dreamed of taking mine from Seattle to Vegas. Driving down the strip in a Riv would be glorious. (Cleaning off all the bugs from the trip, not so much).

I do not have a Riv, but cannot imagine NOT driving across country.   I have put 17,000 + miles on the '50 in 10 years. So far , Denver is farthest west and Charlotte to the east.

I have smeared the front of my Semi with paste wax in bug season. Smear it heavy and leave.  Wipe it off at trip's end.

Ben

• Like 2

I drove my ‘69 from Chicago to Lexington and then  Chicago to Colorado Springs for the ROA meets with no problems, and my ‘65 to KC with only a busted fan belt and no ac. Florida to Gettysburg in the ‘96 was much easier. 

Ben, my ‘50 seems perfectly suited for the back roads of southern Wisconsin 

• Like 1

If the car has been restored then you should consider it "as new."  If you would have bought it new in 1963, would you have hesitated to drive it cross country?  If not, you shouldn't hesitate to do it now.  Have the seller guarantee it for the trip if they're confident in their rebuild.  

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you would have bought it new in 1963, would you have hesitated to drive it cross country? 

On biased tires, with a single piston master cylinder,  drum brakes. and no LED bulbs. Sounds pretty scary from what I have read.

image.png.1a66d13862b7bddc5e3670bd3d727dbb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cars were driven millions of miles with bias tires, drum brakes, single piston masters & NO LED bulbs back in the day. Back in the day the big talk was how many flats did you get on the trip.  NOT MPG, how much oil was used, etc.   We now have something to compare all this stuff to that wasn't available back in the day.  How many times did (know better now) we or I drive 100+MPH on bias plies. Now that radials have been out they ride & handle so much diff. than bias ply I wouldn't even attempt it today. It was done because we didn't know any better & there were little or no alternatives.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

On biased tires, with a single piston master cylinder,  drum brakes. and no LED bulbs. Sounds pretty scary from what I have read.

image.png.1a66d13862b7bddc5e3670bd3d727dbb.png

I guess you're telling everyone that your 59 isn't road worthy then , heh?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

guess you're telling everyone that your 59 isn't road worthy then , heh?

It has to be.

My car was built 6 years before they put a man on the moon. Technology was in its infancy then.

• Haha 2

A few years back, we took the AZ,NM state/county scenic routes through Buffalo Pass from Canyon De Chelley (itself gorgeous) to US64 in Farmington (like driving through a John Ford movie), then east on 64.  Beautiful drive and the signs with with squiggly black line "10MPH" were dead serious.  Doesn't get the publicity of 66, but a beautiful drive in NM. 

SHIP ROCK CRESTING BUFFALO PASS.jpg

Edited by HuntzNSam
added pic (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I may be in the minority, but (IMHO) the popular section of 66 through AZ and NM (where it roughly parallels 40) is an unremarkable drive (although the Oatman Highway is an interesting stretch).  A route through northern AZ, southern UT, and NM (89, 98, 160, 64, etc.) is a much more attractive way to head east, as is 60 through north-central NM.

Put it this way: I'll driving through there in a couple of weeks, and I know which route I'll be taking. ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KongaMan said:

ut it this way: I'll driving through there in a couple of weeks, and I know which route I'll be taking. ;) 

Mr Konga Man, look at the weather forecast. If the weather is pleasant roll down the back windows open the vents and you won’t have to use the AC. I think I’ll be able to just that in late Sept,

Turbinator 

If we worried about everything that could happen in life, what fun would that be?  

All of the old stuff I’ve had over the years has done me right no matter if it was a 10 mile trip or 1000 miles. I’ve flown airplanes built in the 50’s and other than a quick tightning on a fitting I’m still here after 40 years of flying. Planning and a though preflight is the key.

The guys I got this old girl from are going over her and  as it is coming from one of their friends, they what to make sure it makes it to it’s new home safely.  I’ve had worst condition stuff make it and with a little luck this will be a fun bucket list check off!

The trip starts next Thursday.

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've driven my '65 from Vancouver, BC to California three times.  Twice to Los Angeles, and once to Monterey, CA, for the 2012 ROA Annual Meet.  No poblems.  The Riv would easily pass anything but a gas station (joke!).

The only time I had trouble was when the brake line over the rear axle sprung a leak during a trip to Portland, Oregon.  I was cruising fine on I-5 and hit the brakes - NOTHING!  Pedal went straight to the floor.  I managed to use the transmission to brake the car sufficiently to get off at the next exit, then cruise to the nearest gas station, stopping the car with the parking brake.  I got all the way back home by topping up the master cylinder a few times.  Other than once running over a very large German Shepherd during a night drive on a narrow canyon road, the no-brakes epoise was my most 'white knuckle' moment behind the wheel of the Riviera.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, BulldogDriver said:

If we worried about everything that could happen in life, what fun would that be?  

All of the old stuff I’ve had over the years has done me right no matter if it was a 10 mile trip or 1000 miles. I’ve flown airplanes built in the 50’s and other than a quick tightning on a fitting I’m still here after 40 years of flying. Planning and a though preflight is the key.

The guys I got this old girl from are going over her and  as it is coming from one of their friends, they what to make sure it makes it to it’s new home safely.  I’ve had worst condition stuff make it and with a little luck this will be a fun bucket list check off!

The trip starts next Thursday.

Ray

Good luck, hope you have a safe and uneventful trip.

The marshmallow ride car made the 2900 mile trip in 6 days. The things that cropped up during the trip was replace the battery; too low CCA for the starter, bypass the heater; control quadrant or diaphragms not working properly, and de-glaze/adjust the rear brakes.

Added one quart of oil, one quart of antifreeze, and copious amounts of premium gas for the 2900 mile trip; 12 miles per gallon. She saw the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and lots of gawkers along the route. Only saw one other classic car, a 30’s Plymouth about 300 miles from home in North Carolina.

The car sat on a Buick dealer’s showroom floor for 17 years and other than a brake booster that was replaced before the trip, ran flawlessly the whole way at 75 - 80 mph all day in 110 degree temperatures.

No trouble, no worries.

998B13B7-B434-42F8-8F7B-3950D319A32D.jpeg

3716ACA7-EE8C-4A95-BBE1-9E8871C24F19.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

The marshmallow ride car made the 2900 mile trip in 6 days. The things that cropped up during the trip was replace the battery; too low CCA for the starter, bypass the heater; control quadrant or diaphragms not working properly, and de-glaze/adjust the rear brakes.

Added one quart of oil, one quart of antifreeze, and copious amounts of premium gas for the 2900 mile trip; 12 miles per gallon. She saw the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and lots of gawkers along the route. Only saw one other classic car, a 30’s Plymouth about 300 miles from home in North Carolina.

The car sat on a Buick dealer’s showroom floor for 17 years and other than a brake booster that was replaced before the trip, ran flawlessly the whole way at 75 - 80 mph all day in 110 degree temperatures.

No trouble, no worries.

Glad to hear you made the trip without too much trouble.

Looking forward to seeing you and your new Riviera at the park next month.

After your 2900 mile trip a short 90 miles to Archdale shouldn't be a problem at all.