Gran Sport Name—Where Did Buick Get It From?

J3Studio

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, J3Studio said:

Title of this thread kind of says it all: what was Buick's inspiration for the Gran Sport name first used in 1965?

My guess is that they got it from the Corvette Grand Sport, and dropped the "D" because they didn't gave a (D)amn!  But of course that is just a guess, and has nothing to do with the actual facts.  :>)

23 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Copied from the Bugatti 30 years before and the popularity of Grand Prix racing.

Hmmm … given Mitchell's (and others of influence) predilection for late 1920s and 1930s designs, that doesn't seem unlikely.

There's nothing about the origin of the name in The Buick: A Complete History (6th Revised Edition), but that level of detail may be a bit in the weeds for that tome.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

Up in these parts the locals had been adjusting to the naming of the Pontiac Grand Prix for about 3 years. There was a bit of hesitation when one took it phonetically (or eagerness depending on the situation). Flint is not a large metropolitan center  so I am sure Buick saw Pontiac's attempt at continental flavor being bantered around a bit.

They put that big AFB on the Buick 400 at a time when guys were comparing stepping on the gas to flushing the toilet. Thinking about marketing based on the acceleration they might have considered "Grand Spurt" after that exhilarating launch capability. But looking at Pontiac's experience they took Gran Sport as the modest way out.

Stranger stuff has happened.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

Oh come on, now  I have to really research, I'm surprised it's not on the internet, cause I want to know, now too never thought about it!

Roberta, let us know what you (or any Buick scholars)

actually find out.  Everyone is giving hypotheses

(or making jokes) so far, but true history, if found out,

will be interesting.  It's great when the best articles

and books have actually interviewed the designers

and executives who were there.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

How about this then.  Still a WAG but perhaps reasonable.  Chevrolet was having Success with their Super Sport models.  Buick needed something similar, but........  The translation of Gran from French to English is, what else - Super.  

• Like 1