Low Mile 1990 Select 60's

Cargirl

Since the 1990 SS60's were such a low production car you do not see many for sale. It seems to me as a person that checks every now and then, the ones for sale are generally in excess of 80,000 miles. I wonder how many of these cars ended up as collector cars with low miles? Does anyone have a clue how many out out there in cream puff condition. I my humble opinion that was the most striking Reatta ever built. I was looking for one when I bought my 1991 Convert with 17000 miles but the only one available was the one in San Diego which is still for sale. Thoughts? Like a C2 Corvette, I would really like to own a Select 60, that are just beautiful cars. 🏁

• Like 1

Waaay  to Go Car Girl !  Excellent Post and In complete agreement....and looking for a low miles cream puff myself.  Any nice 91 with a drop top or a hole in the roof will suffice, but my search also includes ....... another Select Sixty.  Only problem to me is that high miles from Richmond Va may exist as I would have to drive the purchase home afterwards......

If I remember correctly there was one for sale that someone posted here over the winter that had low miles but it looked like they hit something and it had a salvage title. Don’t know what happened to that one. But most of the ones I’ve seen have over 70k miles. 

You can look on the Reatta database..........if I have information on a Select Sixty (mileage) it will be listed on the database........if there is no mileage listed,  then that  info was not available when last updated.

Reatta database is located here =  www.reatta.net

Let me remind you that if you buy, sell, or see a Reatta ..........send me the vin and other info and I will update the database with the new information.

There was a program for several years that was the Buick General Managers recognition to the dealers.  It was called the Select Sixty Dealers

I have never found the criteria for the award but there was a awards meeting,  early in the new calender year where those 60 dealers were wined and dined often in Florida, California, Las Vegas, AZ

Some where warmer than Flint.    There were lapel pins,  luggage tags,  pen and pencle sets,  all the stuff that goes with an awards meeting.

They were NOT given the car........they were given the chance to get the car,  sometimes a special version but most often a car in high demand that was on allocation.

Some examples that we know about (not sure there was a car every year)

1982 there was a white Riviera convertible,  that had some small changes....chrome mirrors instead of painted,  a Select Sixty name plate for the dash,  etc

1987 they were going to build 500 Gran National GNX's......they added the GNX to the Select Sixty program and 47 dealers wanted one so they built a total of 547 GNX's  (no differenced in appearance)

1988 they got the chance to get a Reatta........since the production had just started,  they made a special hood badge which was shipped to the dealer because they were not ready when the car was built...all these were black with tan 16 way seats only 55 were made

1990 they went crazy and did the Reatta convertible with the white seats,  it previewed the Flame red interior, 16" wheels to be standard in 1991,  so they would have extras for GM officials,  65 were made.

That is the only cars that I know about.........if you know of others let me know.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kevin M said:

If I remember correctly there was one for sale that someone posted here over the winter that had low miles but it looked like they hit something and it had a salvage title. Don’t know what happened to that one. But most of the ones I’ve seen have over 70k miles. 

That's correct, and I thought the buyer came on and said 'they bought it.'      I suspect - but only have antecdotal information no proof - that as many as 15 are in collections and not subject to driving.  Cargirl - I thought YOU had a S60 and sold it?  I must be thinking of another 'lady' who had an S60.  

I personally do not care for them enough to buy one.  I also have scratched my Reatta convertible itch by owning a 1990 Red/Tan convertible and a 1990 Driftwood, I won't be owning another Reatta convertible.  

A person could always start a Registry.  At least you would only have 62 or so entries. 

7 hours ago, azreattacollector said:

Were these cars given to the dealer principals/owners themselves as a gift for exceeding Buick’s standards, or sold to them to sell to their customers? This is something I still haven’t been able to clear up. 

Anthony-

S60 cars were 'given' to the top 60 dealers in the United States.  They then could re-sell them or keep them.  This is what makes me think a few of them are unregistered and in very quiet collections.  I had a 1988 S60 that was given to a dealer in Omaha as one of the 60 top Buick dealerships in the US.  

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

That's correct, and I thought the buyer came on and said 'they bought it.'      I suspect - but only have antecdotal information no proof - that as many as 15 are in collections and not subject to driving.  Cargirl - I thought YOU had a S60 and sold it?  I must be thinking of another 'lady' who had an S60.  

I personally do not care for them enough to buy one.  I also have scratched my Reatta convertible itch by owning a 1990 Red/Tan convertible and a 1990 Driftwood, I won't be owning another Reatta convertible.  

A person could always start a Registry.  At least you would only have 62 or so entries. 

It was most likely my car but it was a 1991 with white wheels and a red interior. I loved that car! I like the white seats and other white touches in the ss60. I find the interior spectacular and truely unique. 

21 hours ago, Cargirl said:

It was most likely my car but it was a 1991 with white wheels and a red interior. I loved that car! I like the white seats and other white touches in the ss60. I find the interior spectacular and truely unique. 

That's it Brenda. 

Maybe all we can do is monitor ebay and CL.  S60s are most likely going to be marketed through ebay and dealers from now on - the low mileage ones.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, Franbev said:

What I always notice when there is an ad like this is - is the seller a BCA member?  A forum member?  A Facebook forum member?   The seller knows this car and this program (S60) .  How many cars out there are unknown to the general Buick collector groups? 

There are many Reatta's on Barney's spreadsheet that are on without current owners knowledge.  The information he provided in the ad could be cut and pasted from any number of sites talking about the Select 60.  Reading the ad there are a lot to read in between the lines.  Looks like an interesting car though.

The Reatta database has info from many sources.

In the case of the 1990 Select Sixty convertibles,  they were found and verified via the use of my Buick dealers parts computer.

Back when I started looking for the numbers,  we had a few known (SS60) cars.    By taking a known vin and going up and down on the vins, I was

able to identify by vin all the SS60 cars.   Later with a cross reference to another 1990 document, I could add the dealer name to the car.     

I posted that my Select Sixty was for sell on this database back on August 10, 2016. View posting for more pictures and information. I received no feedback. The alternator has just been rebuilt, the radio was just repaired. The car has been stored 10 months every year since I bought it in 2008. I also have the Service Manuals for the car. Mileage is now 63,550 miles.