39BuickEight

1939 Special 4 door sedan trunk finish

Hello everyone.  I have just about everything installed on my car, except for the trunk interior.  I was considering buying the Lebaron Bonney trunk kit, but we all know how that company is doing now.  I’m not exactly sure how it’s supposed to be finished.  I have yet to see 2 cars with the same look.  Some have side panels, some don’t.  Some have a cover on the tool tray, some don’t.  Some have a rear seat divider of sorts, some don’t.  I think I can fabricate/make whatever I need, but I’m not sure what I need.  

Does anyone have any photos or description of what is a correctly finished trunk interior for my car?

Thanks!

Billy: I am not an authority on the trunk interior finish but have gathered up a couple of bits of information that may help you on to the next step. First, I have attached a sedan trunk photo from an unknown source that shows a lot of detail. It looks authentic but may at least generate some comment. And, I have a number of photos of a parts convertible that I have in my possesion, it looks a lot like the sedan photo only in worse shape. The convertible side panels were not upholstered. There was a carpet panel, which I have, over the spare tire cover board.  Bob H

00606_bYlUAfX0YjX_1200x900.jpg

Trunk mat ,RS (Medium).jpg

Trunk mat upper detail at RF from front (Medium).jpg

To Bob top photo looks about from cars I have seen and photos I have. 

Early 39's had circular metal over the spare.  One of my cars has that. Then they seemed to do timber as above.

Have not seem the trim in the tool tray - valance area, but that may be correct. 

Have seem cars with a plywood cover in tool tray area, but always considered that was home made.

Where is Earl when we need him?

This is exactly what I needed.  Now I need get some material to cover it all with.  I have the original sound deadening pad for under the spare.  I also have a wood spare cover that appears very old if not original.

• Like 1

That first photo matches my trunk exactly. Material is adhered to the inner surface of the trunk sides.

• Like 1