Sign in to follow this  
dperras

Who the heck is Harley Earl?

If you've seen the new Buick television commercials & have the same question...take 5 mins and see a brief montage that chronicles the designer's history in the industry and impact on the Buick brand. Go to www.buick.com and under "Buick News" click on Harley Earl. Well done.

The new Buick tv campaign is cool, I think. Pretty daring from an advertising perspective, as I doubt it targets a mainstream audience. Interested me enough to find out more, though.

What do y'all think?

Who is Harley Earl???????? Man this is making me feel

old or really a car guy,,,,,I thought everyone knew that

name!!!!!!!!! The man did more to redesign the automobile

than Henry Ford ever thought of......

DA

Wasn't Harley Earl the Chief Designer at Buick when port holes in the Buick front fenders were so popular?

I believe he had a hand in all GM vehicles as he put fins on the Caddy (copied from a WWII fighter). He put portholes on Buick (copied from Raymond Loewey's T-1 PRR locomotive). I can't remember just what else he copied right now. wink.gif

YFAM, Randy Berger

1949 joke: Who's the shortest sailor in the world? Answer: The one who has to stand on his tiptoes to see out the porthole of a Buick. Roadmaster had four, Super had three. Battle, however, was lost to Cadillac; who could compete with those fins? Both gimmicks came from Melmac, along with chrome kitchen furniture, Formica countertops and Howdy Doodie. Ads for the "all new" '49 Ford boasted "zero to 60 in half a minute!"

ALF

For those who would like more info, this topic was covered a week or so ago. Do a search on this site to locate the other comments. Howard

Harley Earl personally shaped the look of GM cars for decades. If he saw the GM of today, obsessed by trucks and locked into 6 banger motivation for its cars, he would have stepped in front of a speeding Roadmaster.

Bob Rich

Not Sure, but I think he had his hand in the GM turbine engine proto. Remember the car that looked like a jet plane? Pretty sure he had something to do with that. That would have been a sweet ride! cool.gif