rear axle sister?

69wildcatGS

Ive got a 69 Wildcat with from what I've been told by the great people at TA Performance, a big rear end that no-one makes parts for. Ive been scouring the net for the past few days off and on trying to figure out if there are any other GM rear ends that used the same 4 link geometry. Ive got nothing. money isn't really the issue. Currie has a pretty sweet 9 inch I was looking at. but a custom axle is around $5k. And if a lets say a 69 Impala used the same brackets in the same spots....its more like $2500. Just need a direction to head guys.

2 hours ago, 69wildcatGS said:

Ive got a 69 Wildcat with from what I've been told by the great people at TA Performance, a big rear end that no-one makes parts for. Ive been scouring the net for the past few days off and on trying to figure out if there are any other GM rear ends that used the same 4 link geometry. Ive got nothing. money isn't really the issue. Currie has a pretty sweet 9 inch I was looking at. but a custom axle is around $5k. And if a lets say a 69 Impala used the same brackets in the same spots....its more like $2500. Just need a direction to head guys.

Buick and Olds full size cars from 1965-1970 share nothing with the Impala. Frames and suspension are completely different.

That's what I was thinking. Just using it as an example. So as another example, a 69 Olds 442 or Pontiac GTO might work then? Ive heard of the 10 bolt BOP (which is NOT the rear end I have) was in a ton of units for those years. Do you think that could be an option?

11 hours ago, 69wildcatGS said:

That's what I was thinking. Just using it as an example. So as another example, a 69 Olds 442 or Pontiac GTO might work then? Ive heard of the 10 bolt BOP (which is NOT the rear end I have) was in a ton of units for those years. Do you think that could be an option?

Not even close.

Sorry, but there is no easy answer here. These full size cars have unique axles and suspension.

And don't be surprised to find out that your "10 bolt" axle is actually a Pontiac style axle with 12 bolts holding the 8.875" ring gear to the carrier. No, Chevy 8.875" parts do not interchange.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Why not buy another Buick rear axle? They can't be that rare. No doubt the same assembly was used for several models besides Wildcat and for several years. If you find a suitable Buick in a junkyard the axle is almost certain to be there, that is one part there is almost no call for.

A quick search turned up this discussion of Buick rear axles in comparison to other GM products. It seems parts like bearings and seals are available but not gear sets. Some interesting info here.http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/buick-rear-end-info.147358/

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

When you say 'I've got nothing' do you mean your rear axle assembly is completely gone?

I mean ive got leads to a replacement. The axle I have has no replacement parts. I can only get axle seals from oldbuickparts.com, hence why I'm looking for a replacement that I can get parts for.

9 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Not even close.

Sorry, but there is no easy answer here. These full size cars have unique axles and suspension.

And don't be surprised to find out that your "10 bolt" axle is actually a Pontiac style axle with 12 bolts holding the 8.875" ring gear to the carrier. No, Chevy 8.875" parts do not interchange.

most defiantly not a 12 bolt. I believe that TA Performance called it a 4600 or something like that. No replacement parts...just seals. I do know that the BOP was in many different GM A bodies. Mine however is a B. probably just going to bite the bullet and spend a couple grad. Just for the peace of mind.

gG+FhcygQZGYxh61hEYrCQ.jpg

508cebVJR9y4%hFmPZjTYw.jpg

First of all, I'm talking about the number of bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier, NOT the number of bolts on the back cover. Pontiac Type P axles, as used in the full size cars, have ten bolts on the cover but 12 bolts on the ring gear. Oldsmobile 9.3" Type O axles have 12 and 12. Oldsmobile 8.5" Type O axles have 12 on the cover and only ten on the ring gear.

In any case, that square cover shows that you have a 9.375" Buick axle, which is unique to the 1966-1972 Buick full size cars.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

What parts do you need? I understand new gear sets are not available but find it hard to believe service parts like brakes,  bearings and seals cannot be had. It seems these units are very strong and long lived and seldom need repair. This would lead me to look for a used one if mine was not repairable.

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

What parts do you need? I understand new gear sets are not available but find it hard to believe service parts like brakes,  bearings and seals cannot be had. It seems these units are very strong and long lived and seldom need repair. This would lead me to look for a used one if mine was not repairable.

Rusty,

While I'm no expert on the Buick axles, I can tell you that parts for the 9.3" Olds axles are unobtanium in some cases. For example, no one sells a new pinion crush sleeve. Some of the Olds brake drums are also impossible to find unless you can stumble onto new old replacement stock parts. Bearings typically are available, though few sources have listings for that axle - you have to get the number off the bearing and look it up that way. Same thing for seals. And shims for setting pinion depth and backlash can also be tough to find unless they happen to be the same as used on a more popular axle. Posi clutches usually are common with those in other GM differentials.