53 Super Camshaft

SJF1948

Looking for some advice/info from the experts. I'm rebuilding my '53 322 and here is the background.

This car has 64,000 miles on the odometer. Had two stuck lifters and one thing led to another, ended up pulling the engine for a detailed inspection and rebuild. An inspection of the cam revealed #2 Exhaust lobe worn down .028". All other lobes were  OK. Interesting thing is, #2 Exhaust was not one of the stuck lifters. Also, all pushrods and rockers are OK. I am now looking for a replacement cam and there are several out there. All claim to be "New, Manufactured to OEM specs" for my '53 322 V8. I want to keep the stock cam configuration. I have read most of the articles on building the 322 and there are many interesting details about this engine. My questions are:

Does anyone have the specs on the stock cam.... duration, lift, etc? I have the Shop Manual, but that info is not listed.

What years are compatible with my '53 as far as the cam? My Compatibility Manual says '53 and only '53. However all of the cams listed as a replacement also say they fit '53, thru '56 322's.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good replacement cam?

Other than using Zinc additives, no synthetic oil during the break-in, what else should I be aware of?

53 thru 56 nailheads used 6 different part numbers for cams, depending on application.  I have never seen any specs unless someone had one checked.

Unless you find a NOS cam or have yours refurbished and reground, just save yourself time, money and grief and use a 56 cam, 56 lifters and 56 pushrods.  There will be very little difference in performance...maybe improved.

• Like 2

Looks like a NOS cam would be best if one can be found. And it would appear that having mine repaired/reground will add time and cost to my rebuild project. I'm leaning now towards the '56 set up. Before I go that route can you tell me any differences between my '53 components and the '56, mainly the overall effective length of the lifters and pushrods. My '53 pushrods are 8 3/8". Have no idea what length a '56 rod would be. I've seen several comments about lifter heights requiring a shorter pushrod. By lifter height I mean the length from the base of the lifter to the pushrod seat. Also I am planning on using my existing rockers. I am comparing the cutaway diagrams of the two engines on Hometown Buick's Engine Descriptions. Two major differences in the two.... Piston shape and combustion chamber configurations. My '53 has a domed top piston and combustion chambers to match. The '56 is a more conventional flat top piston with what appears to be a smaller combustion chamber. Another difference is the valve lengths, 4.346" for the '53, 4.704" for the '56. My head gaskets will be .015" according to the specs for a DynaFlow engine. Forgive the long post, but my main concern is valve to piston interference. 

You may benefit from finding your way to; buickrodder.com    Russ Martin has compiled an incredable amount info on his site, Centerville Auto Repair It should save U research time and provide a valuble resource for all things buick nailhead! Good luck

That's what I suspected, great to get it from the expert!! I did reach out to Russ at Centerville to see what he has in stock for the '56 "upgrade", thanks 2carb40, so now I wait. 

I'm liking my Buick more every day!!!!

Thanks y'all