1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe, not mine, $28k

It's a nice start but you still have alot of money to dump in it.  I won't say mine is perfect which it definitely isn't, or compare the two but the market seems to get you finished cars for literally a couple grand more.  This one needs atleast 10 grand to get there and that's if you know a cheap paint and upholstery guy.  Plus I'm sure there is a couple thousand more in odds and ends you will replace while you are at it. The market isn't as strong as it once was on these and there are quite a few on it.  I think on my 200 mile craigslist search of New England there are atleast 4 coupes including mine currently for sale.  All in turn key condition.  Maybe even more.  Rods and Originals.  They are a little like tri five Chevys.  Pick your colors, options and body styles and start looking. 

17 hours ago, DLynskey said:

It's nice,  guess, but Auburnseeker has a MUCH nicer one for sale on this forum for about the same money.

Don

There now, do you feel better by badmouthing our California friend? I see such cheap shots as juvenile.

• Like 2

I don't see how he badmouthed it in any way.  He just stated there is one on this forum already painted and upholstered for almost the same money?   Please point out what was a bad mouthed cheap shot? 

I'm not touting my car either I will be the first to point to several examples for sale on the web for the same money that appear to be a better value than the one originally listed which I don't think is the original Posters. 

• Thanks 1

I thought the comments were meant to educate the OP on the current market. I hope posters would take the time to look at other ads on this forum before posting (especially ads for the same make/year/model). This isn't a discount AutoTrader. It's free, but posters have to expect critical (hopefully constructive) comments on cars for sale. I think Auburnseeker's car is a good deal at asking price, while the OP's car's asking price is a starting point for negotiation.

unfortunately, when people are selling cars here, the criticality just doesnt work.

I listed a 450sl mercedes here 2 weeks ago and it was bashed. Cars dont sell here, because opinions of cars listed arent necessary. If a guy wants 100k for a 5k car- good for him. But the opinions just destroy the ad.

so bottom line-why EVER list a car here for sale? I will never do it again. Ebay gets my fees and that is where I sell my cars.

opinions are like arse holes- everyone has one.

There is always another car that is better, cheaper, more something. If a car rings the bell for me I will hear the opinions after I buy it. I buy my cars alone, don't ask or listen to advice, and really have no interest in the input. Just show me the car.

I buy cars and other stuff and I am pretty happy with the results after 50 years. If I had consulted I know I would have bought less. When I bought cars that ended up not meeting my expectations I sold them. Most times I cleaned the car, took better pictures, and presented it well enough to come out even or a little ahead. After all these years I look back and find my few regrets are over cars I didn't buy.

A funny thing happened a couple weeks ago. I bought two doors that I planned to install in my garage. Plans changed so I listed them for sale, first for a hundred bucks more than I paid for them. Then I dropped the price $50 per door. This guy bought one and he lived about 40 miles away. He made two trips out, then a third to return the door because he didn't confirm the measurements. I figure he spent about $60 on gas for his big truck, a little more than I made on the door. He was closer to the city and could have made some quick money, but he was stuck in his dullard consumer rights mindset. I have it listed back at my original +$100 price and he is out the fuel without a way to get it back. People!

I also agree that there are places where you just don't list a car. I just sit here an laugh at the thought of listing a car here. There are a couple of dealers whom do exceptional jobs promoting their cars, but their cars of much higher quality than I would list. (I wouldn't sell a car I was entirely happy with, anyway). This is a tough crowd. Some are so bad they are comical. They remind me of a guy who bought me lunch as a thank you one time. He told me I left too big a tip. Hell, I figured lunch was free.

Don't change. I keep this browser minimized while I work. And my work is intense sometimes. This is a wonderful diversion.

Bernie

• Like 2

Mike clearly stated it was not his listing in the title of the ad. By my observation ads not posted by members but are reposted are open season for input for those who have something to say.

Both cars are interesting to look at but I am not a buyer.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, dep5 said:

There now, do you feel better by badmouthing our California friend? I see such cheap shots as juvenile.

As others have pointed out this was not an ad posted on this forum but a reference to a craigslist ad.  The title clearly stated  1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe, not mine, $28k

Several times I have referenced craigslist ads on this forum as a service when I think one of us might be interested.  In this case I just wanted to point out that one of our active and respected  members has a similar car listed on this forum that seems to be a better buy than this one offered by some unknown craigslist advertiser.

I agree we should not run down cars listed on this forum (and believe me it's sometimes difficult to hold back) , but craigslist ads are on the open internet and are fair game for criticism and, yes, ridicule when they deserve it.

If I offended  Mike6024 I apologize.

Anyway, the original ad has been removed  from CL so I assume the car sold.

Don