Keyless entry 'Half' problem

'91 Polo Green

So, the first "Half" works fine. I ground wire in trunk, push FOB button as instructed, the car excepts the programming by signaling with door locks clicking as described in procedure, then . . . nuttin'! 

The "Half" that doesn't work is that: The FOB won't unlock the car or perform any of the button functions. In another post "They" mentioned the "Main Module". Is that the "Passkey Decoder Module in diagrams? 

Here is the fun bit: If I lock the car with either of the door switch prior to exiting the car - then forgetting that I have done so, try to open the car - the alarm goes off !! and won't stop until I disconnect the battery. (Very annoying in public) Now carry needed wrench for battery terminal on keychain.

Anyone had this fun problem?

Ps. Parting out running '88 blk over maroon - anybody need anything?

1 hour ago, '91 Polo Green said:

So, the first "Half" works fine. I ground wire in trunk, push FOB button as instructed, the car excepts the programming by signaling with door locks clicking as described in procedure, then . . . nuttin'! 

Follow these instructions and see if it works.  Note that you must go through the programming process as if you have two FOBs - even if you only have one.

Remote Transmitter (RKE) Programming

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, '91 Polo Green said:

The "Half" that doesn't work is that: The FOB won't unlock the car or perform any of the button functions. In another post "They" mentioned the "Main Module". Is that the "Passkey Decoder Module in diagrams? 

Anyone had this fun problem?

I've had this exact problem in a previously sold '92 Riviera and my current '91 Reatta coupe.  I my cases, the Keyless Entry Module was bad...the Key FOB's were good (as I suspect yours are, also).  For the coupe, access to replace the KEM is to remove the driver's side back area panel (for reference, the coat hanger claw is attached to this panel).  You'll see the KEM down deep in the cubby hole.  I replaced mine with one I purchased from Marck Barker.  Once you've replaced the KEM, then you can go through the routine Ronnie has in the ROJ.  Hope this helps... 

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

The Keyless Entry Module is located as Dave noted behind the drivers door on coupes.........it is in the center of the divider between the passenger compartment and trunk on convertibles.

The # molded into the case is 22093185 by the parts book says the part number is 22087119

The same part is used on 89-93 Riviera and it is located inside the trunk, under the back window....very easy to get out.

I have attached a picture.......note it will have a coax, similar to a radio antenna cable that plugs into the hole next to the connector...that helps spot it and the coax goes to the receiver antenna.

keyless remote.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Ronnie - thanks anyway - who knows what any of us remember these days! :) and you were just trying to hep a poor feller who might've forgotten he even had a GSM.

Dship - Thanks, that really helps.   

Thanks Barney - I do like pictures, and details. What a wonderful help you've been to me.

and 'preciate you Buick City - I panicked! - That thing was LOUD!!

btw - does my '88 parts car have a compatible KEM?

21 minutes ago, '91 Polo Green said:

Hey Ronnie - thanks anyway - who knows what any of us remember these days! :) and you were just trying to hep a poor feller who might've forgotten he even had a GSM.

When I said "Sorry" I wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything.  The instructions I offered are the extent of what I know about the keyless entry system on a Reatta. My '88 model doesn't have keyless entry so I've never had to deal with it.  I  hope a new module fixes the problem.

Hey Ronnie, I knew you weren't, and I appreciate you for offering a newbie help. 

For the record, I don't know if "My" '88 has keyless entry anyway - just thought they all did, and the FOBS were just lost prior to me getting the car.

Guess I'll just have to remove the panels and see if it's down in that "Cubby hole". Hope it is.

Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to tell if a car has keyless entry. My car didn't come with original keys either - so I guess it doesn't have the VATS system huh. When I saw the generic keys i just figured "They" put "That diode" in there. 

2 hours ago, '91 Polo Green said:

Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to tell if a car has keyless entry. My car didn't come with original keys either - so I guess it doesn't have the VATS system huh. When I saw the generic keys i just figured "They" put "That diode" in there. 

'88 won't have keyless entry unless someone has added an aftermarket system.   I think Reattas with keyless entry will have an antenna in the back glass that you should be able to see. Don't know that for certain. '88 model doesn't have a VATS system, so if you have the key covered with black plastic you may have the original key.  '88 does have a security system that is activated when you lock the doors and deactivated by unlocking the driver door with the key.

All 1989.'90, & '91 Reattas came standard with keyless entry.

Replacement key fobs are available from many sources on Ebay........so if you purchased one of the last 3 years Reattas and it did not come with the fob

you can now have the keyless access........ps the range on a Reatta remote is only about 15 feet.