Sign in to follow this  
Mac48

Manual transmission shifter sloppy and something sounds likes a box of marbles.

Posted (edited)

Just purchased a 16 valve with supposedly 21000 miles but odometer is broken.  Condition does look close.  There is a 1 1/4 inch side to side loose throw (slop)  on the shifter and this seems excessive.  Any thoughts on this.  If it is too much is there an adjustment.  Also, when I brought the car home at some times there was a lot of marble rattling sounds from under the hood.  When I got home I popped the hood but could not identify the location. Any suggestions.  Thanks.

Edited by Mac48
clarification (see edit history)

Regarding the play in the shifter - probably loose cables at the shifter or, more likely at the tranny.  A clear indication of this would be if the shifter is difficult to engage either reverse or first.  It is MUCH easier to tighten the cables on the tranny than at the shifter as the center console is quite time-consuming to remove.  If one or both cables are loose it might take a couple of tries so you get the adjustment exactly right.  

Regarding the rattling noise - if you're lucky it's just a loose tor broken timing chain cover.  Easy to check - large plastic piece on the passenger side of the engine.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, Mac48 said:

Just purchased a 16 valve with supposedly 21000 miles but odometer is broken.  Condition does look close.  There is a 1 1/4 inch side to side loose throw (slop)  on the shifter and this seems excessive.  Any thoughts on this.  If it is too much is there an adjustment.  Also, when I brought the car home at some times there was a lot of marble rattling sounds from under the hood.  When I got home I popped the hood but could not identify the location. Any suggestions.  Thanks.

I’m thinking that the rattling noise is a loose timing belt slapping against the timing belt cover. If it is rather loose, it can make a lot of nasty noise.

I tend to agree with the cause of sloppy shifter answered above. There are replacement cable bushings available through DORMAN ‘HELP’ items at many parts stores. One number, 14044, contains various bushing parts for the general “run of the mill” FWD Chrysler cars. Search www.DormanProducts.com on the web.

• Like 1