Brakes work

30DodgePanel

11 hours ago, 13CADDY said:

big money rigs & using $12.95 tiedown straps---makes sense to me-

I was on a vintage tour up here in June and watched a fellow tie down his car with the $0.99  cent straps. I loaned my extra straps for his trip home after explaining he may not have needed his trailer as the car would end up in the back of his truck.  

• Like 1

It is a sad statement (and post) but I know many of us on here haul from time to time and I know many are smart enough to realize the post was meant as a reminder to go through a thorough safety check before hitting the road with over 15k lbs in most cases. Buy the right equipment for the job and leave yourself plenty of space at a safe speed.

All's it takes is one mistake....

Be safe out there guys 👍

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That white truck was likely repairable depending on age and mileage at the time.  $20,000 might be too much.  Replace the cab, tailgate, hood, other misc parts.  Those things + labor are not $20,000.  

This is reminds me of the RV salesperson I spoke with the other day.  People buy these new trucks with gigantic tow ratings and come to the RV dealer wanting (and buying) the biggest one they are told they can tow.  Scary for the rest of us.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

What's the most accurate two word caption for the first picture?

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie,

You know that the most obvious two word caption for the first picture will be removed by the censors immediately upon posting.

Geez, I just found out that happened about 35 miles from me. First responders attended to minor injuries on the site. A passenger was reported as very agitated and kept repeating something about "the ship". Once bandaged he ran off into the bushes.

Bernie

20 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

That white truck was likely repairable depending on age and mileage at the time.  $20,000 might be too much.  Replace the cab, tailgate, hood, other misc parts.  Those things + labor are not $20,000.  

This is reminds me of the RV salesperson I spoke with the other day.  People buy these new trucks with gigantic tow ratings and come to the RV dealer wanting (and buying) the biggest one they are told they can tow.  Scary for the rest of us.

Priced repair work lately?  Even assuming you can get the body panels as inexpensively as you think, swapping the cab involves disconnecting, removing, and reinstalling ALL the airbags, sensors, wiring, and electronics that are standard on a new vehicle.  How many hours do you think that takes in the flat rate manual? Sorry, it's well over $20K. I can guarantee that the bed is tweaked also. Heck, the repaint will take the majority of $20K alone.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Agree, its the spare.,

But where is the tongue?  Still on the pick up?

Supposedly the tongue hitch malfunctioned according to the story. See youtube "boat crashes through sylvan storefront" for the video report.

If it's true the hitch did indeed malfunction (and assuming the owner didn't simply forget or miss double checking the pin), that would equate to a nightmare seeing the cargo becoming disconnected and freewheeling on it's own while out of control. Personally I've never heard of a hitch malfunctioning but I suppose anything is possible... 

As for the repairs on the white truck. My son is a total loss adjuster and in his opinion based on his experience and photos it's a total loss. He guesses over $20k easily at first glance so I'd have to agree with Joe on this one...

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Priced repair work lately?  Even assuming you can get the body panels as inexpensively as you think, swapping the cab involves disconnecting, removing, and reinstalling ALL the airbags, sensors, wiring, and electronics that are standard on a new vehicle.  How many hours do you think that takes in the flat rate manual? Sorry, it's well over $20K. I can guarantee that the bed is tweaked also. Heck, the repaint will take the majority of $20K alone.

Yes, I’m an auto insurance adjuster.  

The Irony.jpg

Looks like those wheels are bent up and the axle is bent down

I would say this one is easy. First I agree that is the spare tire. 

Looking at the picture, I would say that the tongue is still attached to the truck and the pin that holds the swing away tongue fell out and the boat continued in the direction it was going without the truck & tongue.

• 2 weeks later...

So a boat trailer isn't a car trailer, but straps are straps, bolts are bolts and brakes are brakes. One thing I noticed in all the pics is that none of the boats that left their trailers showed any indication of rear strap attachment, that is no transom damage where the rear straps ripped free and I was encouraged to replace the sun baked straps on my own boat trailer. I didn't stop there, after that I replaced the worn safety chains, checked all the bolts  and went through the brakes from end to end. I have no idea how bad the trailer brakes have to get before you can hear them in the truck cab, bit mine were rivets on steel and way past due.

If I do make a brick wall stop there is no guarantee that I won't end up with a boat on my roof, but if I should need to lock up the binders, the boat should stay on the trailer and my trailer shouldn't push me into the brick wall.