Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about American Classic radial tires?

Mars

On 7/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, edinmass said:

Best guess.........incorrect plating on the rim or snap ring.......I didn’t get too close, as that thing can kill you if it lets go. The only safe option on that type of failure is to ice pick the tire to let the air out. Interestingly I looked for 500-19 radials (original poster tire size) on the website and didn’t see any at all........I wonder if the original poster mis read the size? Last I knew only European manufacturers were making antique car radial tires larger than 16 inch. I was told that Michelin and Excelsior stopped making them.

Rim failure is becoming more common on all rims, regardless of bias or radial tires, just because of metal fatigue. The cars are all getting older.....and along with that are hard to predict issues. Not many people like shooting guns that are a hundred years old......especially at maximum load........kind of like the radial tire issue, if everything is like new and perfect, your probably 90 percent safe.........but when was the last time you saw a car that was restored perfectly? Think about it, a 1947 post war car is almost 75 years old now.

I would be very careful with a reproduction wheel as there is a lot of engineering involved and I am not sure some of the reproduction companies have invested what it takes to make a safe product.  That said though, someone cannot replate a wheel time and time again over the years and have it come out great either - or grind out deep pitting or .... - basically, a wheel has to be pretty good to begin with to replate and you can only replate so many times (probably twice replated over its lifetime is one time too many, but ...). 

On the 5:00 x 19 - I think possibly they have the size wrong and it is a little more narrow tire for say a Model A Ford - seems to be a lot of people looking at radials for their A's. 

Anyway about it though - Ed's comments are right on the money (especially regarding anyone trying to run a radial with a slit rim wheel or with a lock-ring style rim (you are risking your life)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about American Classic radial tires?
On 7/30/2019 at 6:38 PM, edinmass said:

They sell cigarettes and cigars...........they are good for you. Just ask the tobacco companies.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, Mars said:

I’ve had two summers on my American Classic radials. They have been great! Smooth ride, handles nicely. Highly recommended.

My grandpa must have had at least 2 summers with his

Marlboro cigarettes.  Smooth, highly recommended,

he must have thought...

(Sorry, Mr. Mars, not making fun of you, but of the idea!)