marcapra

Is this a 32 Dodge?

I was looking at some pics today and saw this beautiful sedan.  I know they didn't go by years back then, but by model names such a K or CK for DeSotos.  Can someone identify the model Dodge this is and would it be called a 1932?  Also are the dash gauges the original type.  I really like the way the seats are upholstered.  Is this the original style?  Thanks, Marc.

1932-dodge-4520.jpg.64ca83c0964c5658c761657b4b034f7d.jpg

1932in-dodge-4520.jpg

1932int-dodge-4520.jpg

1932-dodgedaa-4520.jpg

1932-dodger-4520.jpg

It's a wonderful looking sedan, I love the colour scheme.

To me it looks to be a slightly earlier body shape model, however, I am no expert.

It is all in the numbers, chassis number, body number and engine number. Possibly even a casting date on the block.

Dating cars from that era is difficult because there were many mid season changes.  Add to that some cars took a long time to sell and were titled by the year of first registration not model year.

That car looks to me to be on oversize tyres.

Great looking car what was the production total for Dodge in 1932?  Bob 

1932 was the first appearance of the iconic "Ram". The creator, Avard Fairbanks went on to design the one year only (1933) Hudson/Terraplane Griffin

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Great looking car what was the production total for Dodge in 1932?  Bob 

1932 calendar year production 30,216.  1932 registrations 28,111.  Source; The production Figure Book for U.S. Cars by Jerry Heasley.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sftamx1 said:

1932 was the first appearance of the iconic "Ram". The creator, Avard Fairbanks went on to design the one year only (1933) Hudson/Terraplane Griffin

Nope. The Dodge Brothers cars came with the ram as an ornament half way through 1931 production. Sometime in mid-February. The 1931 started with the "shooting star" (as I call it) cap and ended with the ram cap. The star....

post-37352-143138003261.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A total 4,422 of the particular model shown were built for 1932.

Yes, it's a 32 Dodge.  Unlike mine, it has nice paint, chrome, whitewall tires & wooden wheels.  Very nice!

32Dodge.thumb.jpg.13e8db2cc16a3c3798af8c524f390b06.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I think it has had one expensive restoration worthy of driving to Amelia Island!  Even the upholstery job looks expensive!  Yes it probably has oversize thicker tires than original.  Is anything on this car not original from what you can see in the pics?  

33 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Is that a radio control under the steering column?

That is one of the reasons I don't understand wiring, it just looks so sloppy when done poorly, drags a very nice looking car down to the workmanship level of that switch. Bob 

It has a different bumper than mine, but Leiser31 may tell us that's OK, maybe one was a deluxe.

34 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

It has a different bumper than mine,

Your front bumper looks like a later one. Also, your car is a DL? the subject is a DK = 8 cylinder.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

It has a different bumper than mine, but Leiser31 may tell us that's OK, maybe one was a deluxe.

Your front bumper looks to be from maybe a 1931 Plymouth.

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Your front bumper looks like a later one. Also, your car is a DL? the subject is a DK = 8 cylinder.

Yes, the front bumper looks to be from a 1931 Plymouth and the DL bumper is different than the DK bumper.

Everyone has already answered, but yes, it’s  Dodge Brothers 1932 DK sedan.  It’s an eight cylinder while the DK is the six.  You can tell the difference by the longer hood area between the louvres and the radiator shell and the slightly different bumpers - the DK is straight on the bottom and the DL is curved.  The bodies are the same.  My DL has “DL BLack” in chalk on the inside of the body next to the rear window.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Very attractive.  Am i the only one to think the 32 Dodge has a Lincoln look to it, definately an upscale look...

I agree. Good looking car wonder how it would compare on the road with a Ford V8, back in the day or today. 

Bob 

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I agree. Good looking car wonder how it would compare on the road with a Ford V8, back in the day or today. 

Bob 

Can't say about the '32 but if you read to the bottom of https://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/police1.html you will see that in '33 the Plymouth with a smaller engine than the '33 Dodge was pretty competitive. I'd expect the Dodge to perform better than the Plymouth as far as acceleration and top end as it had a bigger displacement engine.

Ford V-8 Tudor Chevrolet Plymouth Six Coupe
0 to 40 (seconds) 12.4 17 11.9
0 to 60 (seconds) 29.7 39 29.0
Top Speed 83 MPH 65 MPH 85 MPH

Not that I believe those numbers: I've not been able to get my Plymouth above 70 to 75 MPH on level ground and the attempt showed that the suspension, etc. was, shall we say, not designed for modern sensibilities and control expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes  if performance was needed,buyers went for the Terraplane, an unbeatable competitor in hill climbing and speed contests,in 1932 with a 6,and then in '33 a one year only 8 was offered as well,and that had the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any production car in the world.