broker-len

acrylic lacquer

It's not available to anyone unless you happen to find old stock on the shelf somewhere and there's not much hope of that at this point.  At least I haven't found any.  I think except for some oddball colors, even the stuff on eBay has dried up.  Over a year ago PPG sent out this obsolescence notice:

https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Notifications-Result/2018/Obsolescence-Notice-Deltron-DDL-Duracryl-Acrylic

thanks for the come back       I am aware    could have bought a gallon a year ago         have two cars painted with the stuff     and a little in the gallon can     some repaint work to do   

You would think there is something out there. On my 25 Buick I repainted my fenders and splash apron with modern polyurethane  "Jet " Black single stage. I still hate with fooling around with activators and such with very limited pot life. It was anything but jet black. Muddy color. More like charcoal. I had done my hood sills and front mud pan with some left over 35 year old Centari 99 acrylic enamel. IT IS JET BLACK.  Also has some already mixed 1/2 gallon of DUCO 99 lacquer my friend gave me when he cleaned out his house. He said that was what he had left over from doing his 1916 Model T in 1955! I spotted in my other splash shield and a rear fender since the car was done in lacquer in the 1970s. The old DUCO sprayed beautifully and blended great. Unfortunately it is right next to the "muddy" fender.

As luck would have it our PPG salesman was just here. He stops by once a week,  which is one reason we use PPG products pretty much exclusively.  He says his shop can still mix 9300 Black Lacquer  but only until their tints run out.  Few dealers stock pre mixed colors, even black. They are mixed as needed. Call around. You might find a dealer who still has enough tints to mix what you need. 

7 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

He says his shop can still mix 9300 Black Lacquer  but only until their tints run out

I stopped by my paint shop and asked my paint guy about it and he said the same thing about the tints.  Until supply is exhausted.  He also said that there is a company in California that makes acrylic lacquer paints for old cars. 

The 9300 black Lacquer was not only great but also cheaper than any other color. I have a gallon still laying around.

Try TCP Global. They have a good selection of acrylic lacquers and can make any color you want. I have used their paints and find they spray just like the "old" lacquers. 

Here is a link to their gloss black acrylic lacquer. Haven't tried it yet. 

https://tcpglobal.com/collections/acrylic-lacquer-paint-jet-black-gloss

I have an unopened gallon of PPG DDL9300 Black Lacquer, that I would be willing to sell.

broker-len, 

Sorry, I'm not selling the paint. I'm saving it for a small, one-cylinder project.

I still need to get rid of 20 to 30 small can of it acrylic lacquer...

I posted it for free 4 months ago - but pickup only..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 7/27/2019 at 7:31 AM, Tom99 said:

I have an unopened gallon of PPG DDL9300 Black Lacquer, that I would be willing to sell.

Try Hibernia Auto Restorations, the sell and mix lacquer, I don't know if it is PPG, and they do ship.  I needed a custom color to blend into a panel and the color was off, but that could have been due to a number of reasons, so I was not really 100% happy with the color, but again trying to match 60 year old original light green metallic paint was a large contributing factor.

FYI it was pretty pricey!

http://www.hiberniaautorestorers.com/  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)