Brass and Nickel

The HCCA is in Kingston this week (pre 1916 cars). I understand that they have 13 kids on tour under the age of 12. To me that says younger parents attending an early vintage event. I have been to a few AACA National events including a Glidden with 300 attending that one. But have never seen that many young families on tour especially with a smaller group like the 60 family's attending in Kingston. What is HCCA doing to attract a younger crowd . Are the brass and nickel cars moving into the next generation better than the newer cars?

Hey Joe, Gary here and I am on the HCCA tour you are asking about, Bev and I are talking over your question and she thinks the early cars attract young families for the following reasons.  The cars are often handed down from father to son and that makes them young families, the planners make a point of having activities for children and younger adults, and I think it is because the early cars are exciting and foreign.

Look at the picture the teenage daughter is the navigator, no seatbelts, open air sights, sounds and smells.  They are all doing something.

Good luck with the Vintage Tour,  Gary

DSC_1203.JPG

• Like 3

I have always thought that much of the disinterest in Nickle Era cars is because there is no nationwide club dedicated solely to Nickle cars. Many, many interesting, cheap and fairly dependable Nickle Era cars around. It's a shame they are not more appreciated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

... I understand that they have 13 kids on tour under the age of 12. To me that says younger parents attending an early vintage event. ...

They could also be the grandchildren or great-grandchildren

of tour participants.  Regardless, it's good to hear they are

involved.

Yes, Restorer32, nickel era cars are much overlooked

today.  My own 1916 Locomobile, which I love to drive,

would have been considerably more expensive (and unaffordable)

if it was just a few years earlier.  Thank goodness for

overlooked cars!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I have always thought that much of the disinterest in Nickle Era cars is because there is no nationwide club dedicated solely to Nickle cars. Many, many interesting, cheap and fairly dependable Nickle Era cars around. It's a shame they are not more appreciated.

That's a great idea!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Michael J. Barnes said:

Don't forget -- if your nickel car happens to be a Cadillac, or you just happen to like 1915 to 1928ish Cadillacs, there is a forum out there: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/EarlyV8Cadillac/info.

Apply to join today! Cheers, Mike Barnes, Vancouver, Canada, moderator

So I miss out by one year!

The “ish” can apply to the start or the end year. Like all these clubs, you don’t have to own one to be a member. I take it you have a 1929? Lucky you. I set the cut-off arbitrarily, thinking that those 1929 and newer cars were already easier to find parts for. You are invited. Mike in Vancouver.

The difference in the number of children attending the HCCA event and the Glidden might be one of timing This event is being held in July when most children are out of school. The Glidden is held in the fall, well after school starts foe most students. Zeke

• Like 1

Fortunately, in the case of Cadillacs, there is a huge difference in prices between mid-'20s and early '30s. That allows me to have 2 of the former for the price of one only a very few years younger. OK. I can see the difference, and understand the pricing. But I actually do enjoy the fact that my Nickel Era cars do not have synchromesh. Please call it snobbery rather than sour grapes. I refer to my cars as Late Pre-Classic period. Yes, I am glad they are CCCA eligible, and can participate with REAL classic cars. Also glad some Early Post-Classic period cars are included. I think to a large extent, this inclusivness keeps CCCA viable.  Not to mention, I have a Cadillac fixin' to turn "Antique" next year !     -    CC 

One more post from the HCCA/AACA Kingston tour.  We had the wrap up banquet last night after 5 days of pre '16 touring and the hosts had a 12 year old boy welcome the guests to the dinner and a young lady from a different family gave the blessing.  A student from McPherson College gave a short talk on school life.  No awards, trophies or other boring programs.  Short and adorable.

Regards, Gary

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is great to see, though tours can be more difficult to get to for younger people due to taking weekdays off of work or school.  My 18 year old son has been enjoying taking the Coles to Concours or other events on weekends.  Here he is with the 13 Cole at the Copshaholm Concours and then he has his 1923 Cole Coupe at the Concours of America at St John’s this weekend.  Picture is him with the 23 Cole at the Concours media day.  He is having a lot of fun and getting other young people involved.  It’s about getting the younger people exposed and involved as his favorite era is actually the 20’s for automobiles.  

9A3F97AF-6A2A-4B9A-9EC3-39B4A7AA174F.jpeg

AEFF9925-DCDA-43E8-8DE2-0431C5FC2100.jpeg

On 7/24/2019 at 4:36 AM, Restorer32 said:

I have always thought that much of the disinterest in Nickle Era cars is because there is no nationwide club dedicated solely to Nickle cars.

Restorer 32 and all,

The HCCA does embrace Nickel Era vehicles.  http://nickeltouringregistry.org/  John Manifor has been hosting first class nickel tours for many years.  These tours have all the amenities of national tours and are held primarily in the western states.  John works with local members who plan each tour and John makes sure the tours are first class. 

I am sure more nickel era tours could be offered with more members from the central and eastern states & Canada.

Please visit the site and join for only $10 if belong to HCCA and have a nickel era vehicle. 

If you are not a HCCA member, first timers can join for only $19.15.  

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nickel cars are all welcome on the AACA National Vintage Tour as the excepted years start with 1931 and older. This years tour in Kingston is starting next Sunday and the oldest car coming is a 07 Durack and the newest a Ford A so a nickel car would fit right in no problem. Yes there are a few nickel cars coming but sorry registration date has passed..   

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Our VMCCA nickel group has a tour typically every June for cars between 1913 & 1926.  The only requirement is to have fun.  It is a great group and we make special accommodation for children and grandchildren of participants. 

It has been interesting to see the young'ns developing friendships that last over the years. 

The tours are all about having fun & friendship. No trophies, no judging or any of that mine is better than yours except the golden wrench award for bad luck which is all in fun that is great group to be with.  Next years tour is going to be in north west Ohio, 

PS: Brian Heil got Joyce & I sucked into this group for which we are appreciative of his invitation.

• Like 1