• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Engine block was sent to machine shop. It was boiled and crack checked. Passed! Good to go. Now I am awaiting engine parts to arrive. I ordered everything from Vintage Power Wagons. 

While I am layed up waiting for engine parts, I took the rad nose cone off. I also pulled my Gemmer steering gearbox for overhaul. Parts for it have also been ordered. New bearings, seals, shims, gaskets. 

2DD5BC6B-16A5-4A1D-B60D-506E25A3E937.jpeg

4A33B643-F5E5-466F-8C2C-79D3D78CC283.jpeg

FBCA0832-D14E-47ED-A7B5-AF980B957F0B.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

After some research I was able to determine that there was good chance that the Gemmer steerting gearbox in my 38 Plymouth, would contain the same parts used in a same period Ford. 

The housings and design of the Ford and Plymouth Gemmer steering gearboxes are likely different, however I estimated, "Why would the same company redesign all the internal wearing parts?" 

Indeed they did not redesign all the internal parts. I ordered my Plymouth steering gears parts from an old Ford cars parts business. The bearings are Timken so good quality. The company I bought from had good selection and photos for every part. Between my Hollander Interchange and my 6th edition Motors manual, plus having my gear box apart, I was able to nail it all down. I rolled the dice and ordered the parts. They arrived here in Canada, shipped from California, in only 2 days. The pricing was better than anything I'd seen on Ebay. Or any of the Mopar suppliers. I feel like I got good quality parts, great selection, good prices, and reasonable freight costs.  Do your homework folks. Check the parts out here:  https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/selecttitle.php?c=1&s=7&g=64

Comparing the new parts that arrived, I think I have a perfect fit! 

31979DE2-54E3-4611-BF4E-6D260149DBD5.jpeg

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

After some research I was able to determine that there was good chance that the Gemmer steerting gearbox in my 38 Plymouth, would contain the same parts used in a same period Ford. 

The housings and design of the Ford and Plymouth Gemmer steering gearboxes are likely different, however I estimated, "Why would the same company redesign all the internal wearing parts?" 

Indeed they did not redesign all the internal parts. I ordered my Plymouth steering gears parts from an old Ford cars parts business. The bearings are Timken so good quality. The company I bought from had good selection and photos for every part. Between my Hollander Interchange and my 6th edition Motors manual, plus having my gear box apart, I was able to nail it all down. I rolled the dice and ordered the parts. They arrived here in Canada, shipped from California, in only 2 days. The pricing was better than anything I'd seen on Ebay. Or any of the Mopar suppliers. I feel like I got good quality parts, great selection, good prices, and reasonable freight costs.  Do your homework folks. Check the parts out here:  https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/selecttitle.php?c=1&s=7&g=64

Comparing the new parts that arrived, I think I have a perfect fit! 

31979DE2-54E3-4611-BF4E-6D260149DBD5.jpeg

Smart shopping Keith. I have done the same in the past. 
I needed a gas gauge float for my 1948 Packard, $23 in the catalog. I found in an interchange manual the dimensionally identical float (brass) for an early Mustang. $5! Always good to save $$ when you can so you can spend them when you want.

• Like 1

Today I put some quality time into the rad nose cone. Grinding and drilling out very rusty, seized 83 year old hardware. Got it all out! 

Using a hammer and dolly I beat old damage straight again. It should be a lot easier to reinstall hopefully. 

6B4FF776-499E-41C3-8BC6-DC46C61F24EF.jpeg

• Like 2