Ed Luddy

What does everyone think is high mileage these days?

21 minutes ago, padgett said:

GM had some real problems in the late '80s/early 90s with paint. Reattas got a water based paint that did not work very well and had a lot of peeling issues. Modern base coat/clear coat is very durable as long as too much polishing is avoided. Acid rain is another issue that is fortunately not in central Florida.

GM also had paint issues in the mid 70's when they were phasing out lacquer paint. 

Six years ago I moved to Prescott AZ. from Ca. Because we are at 5,000 feet the sun is really hard on base coat/clear coat new car finishes and we see lots of all different kinds of relatively new cars where the clear coat is peeling.  

I agree the sun can be bad. Also something in Florida air attacks rubber (Some 8 tracks were particularly bad - the rollers melted and made a real mess). Why I keep all of my cars out of the sun.

The phrase "high mileage" means a different thing to just about everybody.  Some areas "require" farther commutes, so those areas really pile on the miles compared to others.  I never see a car with "average" miles here in Kentucky.  They are always high.  It's very common for people here to commute well over 50 miles each way daily.  They wonder why their car is never worth what they thought it was.  Also, for those who get a new car every few years, 60,000 might be high.  For those who drive their cars until the wheels fall off, 250,000 might be high.  Electronic databases (Carfax/NADA/etc) use an average based on car sales and total losses.  Each individual transaction stands on its own though.  Many 200,000 mile cars are better than many 100,000 mile cars because of the owner(s).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cars of the 30-70's were expected to do 100,000 miles. I remember a 1950 Pontiac add. "Dollar for Dollar you can't beat a Pontiac, built to last 100,000 miles". Honestly, the car makers wanted you in a new car almost every year. Every year the body styles changed and for the conservative motorist this seemed like a waste of money. I always sat on the fence on that issue, more so today than when it was happening. Ever since High School I have owned Pontiac's and VW's. Two of the cars in my collection are a Pontiac and a VW that I have owned while I was in H/S. My conservative side leans toward the VW. The Europeans, mainly the Germans looked down on this frivolous restyling of cars and I could see their point.  From a artistic point of view there are so many cars from the 30's to the 70's that are so good looking that I'm glad it turned out the way it did, and it did in a way that it was not just the expensive cars that became rolling works of art. It's up to us to preserve them and drive them, to love and enjoy them. Aren't we the lucky ones.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

7 hours ago, padgett said:

I agree the sun can be bad. Also something in Florida air attacks rubber (Some 8 tracks were particularly bad - the rollers melted and made a real mess). Why I keep all of my cars out of the sun.

Ozone eats rubber and some plastics, any large populated area in a hot climate will have ozone issues.

okay, here's a thought. maybe the older cars wern't all that bad at all.most us people might think they did. hell, they were all built like tanks anyway.the DMV's didn't track the milage much back then so it's possible that those cars went a lot farther than

A few years ago my daily driver was a '91 Corolla that had 285K on it when I sold it, still running great, no issues other than some minor cosmetics and my desire to upgrade. One potential buyer called to verify the mileage, she was hoping it was 85K and a mis-print. Another asked "What problems does the car have?" None, I replied. "What's the mileage?" 285K. "Well, maybe that's the problem", he said and hung up. The third caller showed up and bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running somewhere. So my guess is 285K is high mileage in a used car these days. 

Back in the 1980s, I would walk away from anything over 60K. My '79 Chevy reflects this - it STILL only has 35K on it. Now THAT I consider low mileage. 

On the flip side of the coin, I have worked on a few 30's car with low mileage (40K to 50K) and surprised they are pretty worn as to suspension and ...  And, a few brass car that were just worn out from people near looking at them.

I have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan with 28k on it.  Most of those miles were from taking it to the dealer to get something fixed.  If it were not for the stupid expensive wheelchair conversion to it, it would be history.  

The old 5 digit odometers made many a liar out of otherwise honest folk. Sorry, but it's true!

• Like 1

Greetings from South Florida,

I'm a AACA Newbee to the Ft Lauderdale Region. I believe I represent the Next Generation of your AACA, however, I'm far from being a millennial, really far.

My 436,000 mile car has been my Daily Driver, until I retired. On the weekends it was our SCCA sprint car or the ride to be a race official at SCCA, IMSA, INDY CAR, CART and American Motorcycle Assn local races.

My gift to our Supercharged Model MR2 on it's 30th birthdate was a antique license.

I'm proud to be the only oriental car in our region. And apparently our Toyota Road Rocket is the only racecar to regularly exhibit at any local car cruise or show.

AACA BADGE  MOUNTED.jpg