1957 Color Code “ZE2”

My 57 Skyliner has a color code of “ZE2”. I know “Z” is Coral Sand and “E” is Colonial White, but not sure what the 2 means?

Here is a pic, but it’s hard to read. Pretty sure I found this info before but I can’t find it now. 

I may need to sell this car and I’m trying to get info together. 

Thanks for any help, ~V

5827648C-249F-44BD-986A-22E23CC488C5.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

maybe the 2 signifies it's a 2 tone paint job. ????

Possibly the configuration;  to define which color is on the lower body, and which color is above the chrome side trim.  All the two-tones were available in a reverse configuration.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

13 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

My 57 Skyliner has a color code of “ZE2”. I know “Z” is Coral Sand and “E” is Colonial White, but not sure what the 2 means?

Here is a pic, but it’s hard to read. Pretty sure I found this info before but I can’t find it now. 

I may need to sell this car and I’m trying to get info together. 

Thanks for any help, ~V

Saddened to hear that you may need to sell the Skyliner.

Went to dads old sales books and looked up the Ford two tone color selections and the first letter of the two tone color code is for the top and sides, the second letter is for the hood and trunk on sedans, or the little section of rear fender above trim on wagons.

I can only guess at what the extra symbols or markings actually mean, but they only appear in the Fairline 500 Sedans, Victorias & Skyliner section. By the way they appear in the color selections sheet, my "guess" is that the (Ϯ) and (*) are for 500 Sedan and Victoria only colors and the (2) is Skyliner only as the top would have been painted separately and then attached to the car, but this is just a guess.

First time I've actually read this thing from front to back and I didn't find what I needed to answer your question, but the sales hype is good for a chuckle. I didn't know until today that Fords enamel finish "is so bright and glossy that you won't have to wax it ... ever!"

• Like 1

I’m sad about the prospect of selling it also. Let’s just say that I am the only one who is willing to open my pocketbook and although dad has stuff, I’ve been reluctant to sell it due to capital gains, so there is a cash flow issue. His immediate condition is a concern and it takes money to deal with his estate. 

I have quit 3 high paying jobs in 5 years to deal with his needs and my funds have dwindled. A request to the family to front money for basic needs until the state is settled fell on deaf ears.( I asked for 5k for cremation, the probate attorney and travel to Texas to go to the hearing), I got a lot of “we want his ashes shipped cross country” and “ can I have X”. 

Bottom line is I am starting a new job, I expected more time to get it going, but dad isn’t well and the money has to come from somewhere. Stuff is stuff. Dad is more important. The rest can be damned. 

I might add that in 5 years, no one has come to Oregon to see him, no one has helped in Texas either. The one exception was when I flew my sister to Tx early in the process to “help”, which she did nothing and again flew her to Oregon to get my car to drive to Texas so I could bring Dad to Oregon. He can’t fly. Both of those were in 2014, at dad’s expense. 

11 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I’m sad about the prospect of selling it also. Let’s just say that I am the only one who is willing to open my pocketbook and although dad has stuff, I’ve been reluctant to sell it due to capital gains, so there is a cash flow issue. His immediate condition is a concern and it takes money to deal with his estate. 

I have quit 3 high paying jobs in 5 years to deal with his needs and my funds have dwindled. A request to the family to front money for basic needs until the state is settled fell on deaf ears.( I asked for 5k for cremation, the probate attorney and travel to Texas to go to the hearing), I got a lot of “we want his ashes shipped cross country” and “ can I have X”. 

Bottom line is I am starting a new job, I expected more time to get it going, but dad isn’t well and the money has to come from somewhere. Stuff is stuff. Dad is more important. The rest can be damned. 

I understand capitol gains, but if the family isn't willing to help now to preserve the estate....................

Selling the car is a sad thing, but it's also a dad thing, so you do what you need to do and try not to loose yourself in the process.

• Thanks 1

It might be worthwhile to have a one-hour consult with an attorney specializing in elder law.

When your father passes, as we all must, anything of significant value should be appraised **as of the date of his death** which becomes the Basis for estate taxes (not applicable) and the proceeds are not taxable as capital gains unless the sale price exceeds the final appraisal--and thus no need to find and total up receipts.  So if there's a financial way to keep from having to sell the Ford now, all heirs will be better off.  I'm no attorney (I promised my mother I'd always earn an honest living), so get one to review the facts and circumstances in your situation.  Many of us have Been There, and we wish you and your father the very best.

• Thanks 1

@Grimy, I have and that is why I haven’t sold his garage or house yet, or anything I didn’t need to sell for expenses. It just leaves me cash strapped without working for the majority of 4 out of the last 5 years to take care of things for him. 

I’m not complaining. I would do it all again. I have to be practical about the car and take care of dad. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ford had deviations on the data plate that aren't recorded in the 1949-1959 Ford Parts Book. For example some late 57 T-Birds have a number 6 or 7 between the color code and the trim code (the T-Bird uses the same data plate as your dad's car). It has been discovered after many years that the numbers refer to whether the hardtop has portholes or not. The 2 indicating reversal of colors certainly makes sense. When they were new I never remember seeing one that has the colors the way your car does. The ones that I saw all had the colors that a standard 2 tone Fairlane 500 would have with the darker colors on the lower body and the top. The quality of the paint job is much more important to getting top dollar for the car.

I am sorry it has worked out this way. I hope you find a good buyer for the car. It definitely looks like a keeper.

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird, Colonial White 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 1957Birdman said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Ford had deviations on the data plate that aren't recorded in the 1949-1959 Ford Parts Book. For example some late 57 T-Birds have a number 6 or 7 between the color code and the trim code (the T-Bird uses the same data plate as your dad's car). It has been discovered after many years that the numbers refer to whether the hardtop has portholes or not. The 2 indicating reversal of colors certainly makes sense. When they were new I never remember seeing one that has the colors the way your car does. The ones that I saw all had the colors that a standard 2 tone Fairlane 500 would have with the darker colors on the lower body and the top. The quality of the paint job is much more important to getting top dollar for the car.

I am sorry it has worked out this way. I hope you find a good buyer for the car. It definitely looks like a keeper.

Lew Bachman

1957 T-Bird, Colonial White 

Thank for the info Lew. I’ve seen a few and the Lucy & Desi car also was painted that way. It’s not as common though. 

I am not sure if I will have to sell yet. It depends on if dad holds on long enough for me to get my business going. I haven’t even marketed yet, as I’ve been in training and just got my marketing materials yesterday. I’m already getting contacted about clients from my past Realtor and Lender clients though. I am so happy with the company and their products, and to help seniors is a goal I’ve had since I found the situation that my father was in. I think in a month or two I will be in a much better situation. 

2 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I came across this picture the other day. This is a cruise in my hometown that I brought the car to a couple years ago. I’m not sure if I’ve ever shared this?

9D667DD5-5383-400C-A1F8-7F224895902B.jpeg

You certainly look happy Vicki!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes family situations bring out the best and sometimes they bring out the worst in people.  Sometimes it makes you wonder about the way in which people think.  I hope you get to keep the car and enjoy it but if you can't ,you can't.unfortunately after your dad does pass, you will probably see a lot more people who will be wanting stuff.  We all wish you well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

You certainly look happy Vicki!

She has that affect on me when I drive her. It’s emotionally tough to think about driving her, but when I have, it always makes me smile. I probably driver her 4 times a year. Something just makes it easier to leave her be. I do run her monthly, just don’t always leave the yard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickelroadster said:

you will probably see a lot more people who will be wanting stuff. 

That’s happened already. I had been warned about that. 

Thanks for the good wishes. You guys have always been awesome. If I get to the end knowing I’ve done my best for him then that will be enough. The rest is just stuff that can’t replace him. 

VL I have been praying for you and your father for some time . I know the man up stairs has more faith in you than you have in yourself   Just stand by your faith and you will know you have made the right decision although other's will criticize you don't let them get to you.  God Bless you and Dad.  Mike

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mikefit said:

VL I have been praying for you and your father for some time . I know the man up stairs has more faith in you than you have in yourself   Just stand by your faith and you will know you have made the right decision although other's will criticize you don't let them get to you.  God Bless you and Dad.  Mike

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your prayers very much. I appreciate everyone who has supported me here. It surprises me how much more supportive my friends are then family. I think it’s easier for them to oversimplify the situation since they are not involved. I don’t think they are trying to be difficult on purpose. 

I am ramping up with my new job and when I’m self sufficient, it helps a lot. I’ve just had to limit working due to my father and that’s caused issues for me. 

I pray for the day that he is at peace and I am finished with the responsibilities and can move on with my own life. It’s taken a much greater toll physically and mentally than I could have ever guessed, but I’d do it again. In the end, dad has been taken care of all along the way to the best of my ability, given the circumstances. This is, to a large degrees, due to the many blessings I have received along the way from strangers, acquaintances and friends. 

You are a good person for taking care of your dad. Inanimate objects - however cool they are - are never as important as the people in our lives. If you sell, I hope you get a great price from a person who really appreciates the car. I just hope you don't stop hanging out at the AACA forum once the car is gone. You seem to be a very positive influence here.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 61polara said:

Happy Birthday to your Dad.  Going through the same thing with my 93 year old mother. The good days are great, the others I wish were better for her.

It’s such a rollercoaster. I think I’m loosing him, then he gets better. I’m sorry to hear about your mom. 

• Like 2