What years fit 20" split rims GM

Almost everyone misuses the term "split rim"  Technically a split rim is a one piece rim with a crosswise split.  All other rims are drop center,  two piece rims or three piece rims (two piece with a lock ring).  Misuse or common usage often causes misunderstanding in buying, selling or even danger in mounting or un-mounting tires.

widowmaker_05.jpg

download.jpg

split rim.jpg

I did not know that,,,, locking verses split rim, Also Budd verses stud piloted was new to me. Guess old dog new tricks is true, Which leads to other thoughts, Would locking rims from drier portions of the country ie Arizona or New Mexico be in better condition? What years did GM use the 5" locking rims

20 rim (5).JPG

20 rim.JPG

20 rim (3).JPG

20 rim (4).JPG

As I mentioned in your parts wanted related post Chevy used rims in two different widths that are close to yours. They are 4 5/16" width for 6.00 -20 tires ,and 5 " width for 6.50 -20 tires.

It's hard to tell them apart without putting the rim back together and doing a careful measurement in a area of the rim that is rusted as little as possible.

They were probably stamped with a size and makers logo but those markings are usually on the inside of the rim where the tube and flap holds water and caused serious corrosion like on your rims.

As long as you use all the same width they probably work . I expect the larger tires/ slightly wider wheels were just an option and directly interchange. 

And yes, wheels from a very dry climate are going to be in better condition from a corrosion point of view. 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

That truck might have a GMC front axle. For some reason GMC usually used 5 stud wheels on many of the smaller trucks , 1939 - 46 and that style of wheel. Both my 1945 2 Ton and 1946 1 1/2 ton GMC's use this style and lug count wheel front and back.

The axle complete will interchange between a Chevy and a GMC. It was probably in better condition than the original and simply swapped.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Thought the resto Gods smiled down on me as yesterday standing in a neighbor's cow yard, I noticed a trailer with 10 hole wheels. upon closed inspection I found out they would work into  my rim  guest. I inspect the locking rim area and they look nice. Oh,,,,, the Resto God is a trickster as upon taking the rims to the tire guy I find out that I must inspect the area where the rivets hold the inner piece of to the outside rim circle. My scrap buddy is happy though and I at least have 4  rims to put the truck on the ground. Hopefully...

33 chev 3.jpg

Edited by Brad in Wisconsin
forgot pic (see edit history)

On 7/29/2019 at 11:19 AM, Brad in Wisconsin said:

Thought the resto Gods smiled down on me as yesterday standing in a neighbor's cow yard, I noticed a trailer with 10 hole wheels. upon closed inspection I found out they would work into  my rim  guest. I inspect the locking rim area and they look nice. Oh,,,,, the Resto God is a trickster as upon taking the rims to the tire guy I find out that I must inspect the area where the rivets hold the inner piece of to the outside rim circle. My scrap buddy is happy though and I at least have 4  rims to put the truck on the ground. Hopefully...

33 chev 3.jpg

These rims can be a problem to find. The reason being they rust out when out in the weather. First the rubber goes flat then water enters. Once the water enters it is all over and rust takes over.

My 29 Dodge Boris truck rims were a real project. I knew I wanted the look of iron spoke rims so I when the extra mile. 

81F1912C-B4F2-402C-98A7-F10529C1EFA0.thumb.jpeg.59ddf0d8e4d87ac7777e850a61e96925.jpeg

I removed the the center of a Model AA truck rim and after a lot work got them to fit on my spokes.

AB0DDC8C-94FF-421A-90E9-12EA76B5CE5E.thumb.jpeg.a66053310d84befd5b7bf06f25d1df25.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, new tires/painted-rims mounted.... now also with brakes that work, Went for a bit of a ride. AND made it home under it's own power!! (always a plus)    Now on to removing box blast and paint. thinking the bloctch of green shown on box for color and red rim color on side boards   479503209_1933tires2.jpg.65daa98720b7e90ccbf5e718ef0b617a.jpg oh durn it ,,, moderator please help

Edited by Brad in Wisconsin (see edit history)