6-volt won't start when warm

Have a great 52 Desoto Firedome with 276 Hemi trying to get ready for winter parades. Runs great under the carport but take it for a joy ride and first time you stop it the engine drags the starter so bad you have to make it a 45 minute visit, it just won't start. Any idea's, need all the help I can get

Two possibilities come to mind. The first thing I'd do is check the ground path very carefully; follow the ground cable from the battery back. Make sure it's attached straight to the engine block, a manifold, or something like that and that the connections are clean and tight. What you don't want to see is that cable going to the frame-side of a motor mount or something like that where there isn't a direct path to the block.

If you find nothing there, you're probably going to find that the starter needs brushes, or maybe a complete overhaul.

• 1 month later...

I used to have this problem with my 53 Cranbrook. I converted it to 12 volt positive ground and now there are no problems starting it ever. You would need to have the generator rebuilt to 12 volts, install a 12 volt voltage regulator, and get 12 volt headlights. You could also need some adapters for any 6-volt devices in the car to step-down the voltage (ie radio, however mine doesn't have any devices). Provided there is nothing currently wrong with the starter, it would be fine being powered by the 12 volts, just turn a lot faster and with a lot more force, which is why it will be much easier to start when warm.

Guest Dave Mills

I had a similar problem with my '51 Plymouth. All connections appeared to be good, but it turned to be a bad ground cable terminal on the engine block. I replaced that cable three years ago and I have had no problems since then.

• 1 month later...