Before the 151 arrives

Brooklyn Beer

Going over a check list of service items.  Can't find a source for the felt pads for the valve train if they need changed out.  Anyone know who is making them just in case?  And any other parts supplier recommendations for service and repair items not listed on the club board.

Calm down, I know you can't wait to get your hands on your new acquisition but there's time. The most important items you need are an owners manual and a parts manual. Even if it has an original owners manual with it you don't want to bugger it all up. Get a new one from Amazon. As far as the felt pads and other stuff, go to the club website and click on "for sale" and then click "parts". You will find the pads there produced by Jeff Hasslen. When you get it, check it out, drive it, enjoy it before you go and try to redesign it with different wheels, and mounts and parts it doesn't need. We've all gone through this with our own acquisitions. And! No car will have everything you dreamed about. So enjoy what you got the way it is and then.............................buy another one! haha  

Bill

• Like 3

Hook has stated this perfectly, please heed his words.  Franklin knew what they were doing when they built the car and issued an accessory catalog in 1930-31 of what they offered to their customers and this is an excellent "bible" of what will be authentic and period correct . REREAD what Hook says in his last line.

If the felt pads have ever been replaced they are probably fine - just add oil.  There are round felts pads on the outer valve stems and the inner one covered by the large pad.  I always oiled the pads, but that was really a sideline to the more important part of oiling the rocker arms and the pushrods, plus I also oiled the valve guides by letting oil run down the valve stems.   My point being, that even if the felt pads are missing you still can achieve your goal (at least for a short while).     

You will need a nice oil can though and one with a flexible spout is pretty nice - nothing too large in a can as all you have for storage is probably a compartment under the front seat.  

I think I used Mobile 1 on the upper parts. 

• Like 1