How to install Sunroof on car without!

'91 Polo Green

Anyone have any advice on removing and re-installing a sunroof on a car that didn't come with one? My thinking is cutting out the whole panel and brazing it in - but open to all thoughts on the matter.

Just wandering,

JW

'91 Polo Green

* May ya be gone a 'alf an hour afore the devil knows yer gone!

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I live a little further south in Texas and feel a sunroof is unusable about 6 months of the year.   In the summer Texas heat, it only use is to exhaust heat when parked. 

Roughly 15% of the Reatta coupes built had the sunroof option,  which became available maybe midway thru the 1988 model build.   It was made by Wabsco and is almost identical to the unit used on

Mazda RX-7.

If you have nothing better to do and are highly skilled in auto body work,  then go for it.   

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

Don't

Correct. 

I had one customer who was dead set on doing this. He ordered an entire roof panel and sunroof assembly. He had a body shop remove the glass, cut his old roof off, reinstall new roof with sunroof assembly. Repaint, rewire, and reinstall glass. 

All said and done he had over $3500 tied up in this project. Plus having to repaint the rest of his car. Also assuming they don't break or damage your glass taking it out. 

Might be cheaper just to go find a Reatta with a sunroof and have two cars. 

• Like 1

A friend of mines father installed an aftermarket sunroof in her 99 lesabre when it was her grandmothers. Granted he’s one of the best mechanics in my area she said it was terrible and Barely worked. From that and a few guys at college who did that conversion. I’d also steer clear of it

I have had an after market powered sunroof on the Red for almost 12 years now. Never had a problem with it. I did not install it but had a Auto Trim place do it. Also installed one on the Roadmaster when I owned them. Drove it year round for better then 5 years also no problems. Now on 4 years with my wife's Enclave having a sunroof. Hers stays out during the summer months so the Red and 'vert can be in the garage, also no problems.

However if this what you want, pick a reputable dealer and let them do it. I paid less then $700.00 for the Roadmaster and the Red [but that was years ago. Paid about $1500.00 for the one in the Enclave, but for a much larger opening as the Enclave is so much bigger. Also the Enclave has the slide cloth panel like original equipment which the Red and the Roadmaster never had. Part of the difference in price. But still never a leak on any of the cars...

Barney, you have been such a great help to me over the phone - and I know what you are saying.

Daves89 - you are the only one with the "Correct" response.

No offense to the rest of you guys - but no guts no glory! 

btw - I have a great paint 'n' body guy - and he said absolutely no problem to cut it out, and with a cold water heat dam, to protect the glass, braze it right back in.

So who has a beechwood headliner for a sunroof car they don't need?

Thanks, JW

It’s a shame to destroy a 91 Polo, If you ever want to sell the car, you have totally wiped away any buyers that prefers their car stock. By the way, it takes more guts to keep the car as it should be than cut one up. Any hack can do that.