1924 Buick Model 24 Starter/Generator Needed

I have recently purchased a 1924 four-banger and (a pile of) spare parts. I will be running the beast in the 2003 Great Race, and am looking to acquire some usable spare parts.

The extra (combo) starter/generator I have seems to be complete but needs a complete rebuild. Can anyone offer a complete rebuilt unit? Can anyone recommend a good rebuilder? I have lots of 1922 - 1924 "stuff" to offer in trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Howard Jones, at the Jones Battery Shop in Sherman, Texas rebuilt the starter/generator for my '24 Buick 6-cylinder, and he never even flinched. The shop has been there practically since the dawn of time (wonderful old 1920s sheet metal building). You didn't say where you are located, but if you aren't near north central Texas, it would probably cost a small fortune to send such a lead weight as a starter/generator through the mail. Warning: This is a one-man shop, so it takes a long time, but he is the best automotive electrical person in this region. I can give you contact information if you want it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

1924 model 44 (still in pieces)

1950 model 46-S

1954 model 66-R

1956 model 46-R

I am located in Akron, Ohio; but will send this unit anywhere to get it done right. I have time as I do not intend to use the car until it is entered in the 2003 Great American Race and emerges as the winner !!!

Please send me the contact information on Mr. Howard Jones.

I have the unit at a (local) reputable rebuilder, but he is starting to show some "fear". I may need to pull the job from him and go with someone who has "been there before".

Many thanks for responding.

James W. (Bill) Stroud

I have plenty of mechanical and body parts, but sadly little electrical. I used the only two cowl lamps I had as front turn signals.

Good luck in your search.

James W. (Bill) Stroud

Bill,

I have had good experience with the Burton L. Norton Company. They have rebuild by '28 and '36 Buick starters and generators. They are in Michigan, a little closer for you. They too have been around forever doing electic rebuilds. They run in what they rebuild to make sure it's working under load. I'm sure they are capable of rebuilding your gen/starter combo. They aren't going to be the cheapest, but they have done good work for me.

www.webcars.com/burton

• 10 years later...
Guest dnnld
post-92603-143141841006_thumb.jpgGood evening. I have one of the only 1924 buicks (seems to be the only buick 35) in France and I broke the fork moved by the starting pedal, in the box just behind the engine and the starter/generator. Reference number 151766 on the part. Any chance to have a new one? Thanks for help Edited by dnnld
Buick 35/1924 Starter pedal fork broken (see edit history)