1937 Headlight switch positions six 115c

oldstyle

I'm trying to get the headlights to work and figure out the headlight switch. The second position will cause the headlights to come on dimly. Pulling to the third position causes the headlight to turn off. That doesn't seem to be correct.

What is supposed to happen when the headlight switch is pulled to the third position?

Thanks,

Raul

Raul:

I haven't had a chance to run out to my garage to test the headlight positions on my '37 120 (which would be the same as your 115), but I did ask that same question a few years back about my 1936 Buick.  (I would assume for the era, the operation of the headlights would be the same as the mid-30s Packards.)  If I get a chance I will let you know if there is any difference with the operation of the 115's headlight switch.  Here is the answer I received regarding the Buick:

In 1937 (and 1936), "asymmetrical" meant the passenger side on low and the driver's side on high. They shine across each other, so the passenger side light is the one that shines into the oncoming traffic.

The system is called "Guide Multibeam." The headlights do not work like modern ones, at all. They have a sharp cutoff on the side, and are aimed across each other (i.e., the beams cross). The beam pattern is formed by both lights. Since the passenger side light is the one shining into the oncoming traffic, it is the one that dips.

The description of this in the owner's manuals of the period can be a little confusing because when they refer to "passing beam," they do not mean it is for passing another car. "Passing beam" is meant for meeting oncoming traffic that is “passing” you in the opposite direction. This makes sense when you realize that the driver's side beam is illuminating the right side of the road. The beam on the passenger side gets dimmed for the sake of the on-coming car.

Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual to check the aim.

The following chart shows the 1938 light control. The 1936 format is similar even though it only has 3 positions:

Buick Headlight Positions.JPG

• Like 1

The 37 parking lights are inside the headlight enclosure so that is probably what you are seeing when you say headlights are dim in the second position.  Definitely there should be head lights on in the third and fourth positions.   Packard made some changes in headlight switches during the 36-38 period but as far as I know the wiring on them stayed the same.  The foot or "dimmer" switch has been a source of problems for some so you might check its operation and wiring.   There was a 36 bulletin on how to rewire the right side to partially change function if the owner desired to have both lights work the same.   I believe that change turned them into more or less working like current sealed beams and might have been done to your 37.  Of course, in the history of the car others could have done some mods as well which could be doing something strange.  

If you don't have a wiring diagram you can download the AEA diagram from the PAC site  https://www.packardclub.org  That diagram is a bit easier to follow than the Packard factory diagrams.  Here is an easy to view illustration of the headlight switch showing the terminals with the various wire colors.

headlight sw.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packick said:

That's a great explanation! Thank's for taking the time to write all that out. That third position really had me confused. 

I'm guessing that the dash has to be taken apart to really check this switch under load. I did remove it but with the wires attached it didn't move much even after taking it out of the dash. 

Raul:

I haven't had a chance to run out to my garage to test the headlight positions on my '37 120 (which would be the same as your 115), but I did ask that same question a few years back about my 1936 Buick.  (I would assume for the era, the operation of the headlights would be the same as the mid-30s Packards.)  If I get a chance I will let you know if there is any difference with the operation of the 115's headlight switch.  Here is the answer I received regarding the Buick:

In 1937 (and 1936), "asymmetrical" meant the passenger side on low and the driver's side on high. They shine across each other, so the passenger side light is the one that shines into the oncoming traffic.

The system is called "Guide Multibeam." The headlights do not work like modern ones, at all. They have a sharp cutoff on the side, and are aimed across each other (i.e., the beams cross). The beam pattern is formed by both lights. Since the passenger side light is the one shining into the oncoming traffic, it is the one that dips.

The description of this in the owner's manuals of the period can be a little confusing because when they refer to "passing beam," they do not mean it is for passing another car. "Passing beam" is meant for meeting oncoming traffic that is “passing” you in the opposite direction. This makes sense when you realize that the driver's side beam is illuminating the right side of the road. The beam on the passenger side gets dimmed for the sake of the on-coming car.

Follow the procedure in the Shop Manual to check the aim.

The following chart shows the 1938 light control. The 1936 format is similar even though it only has 3 positions:

Buick Headlight Positions.JPG

45 minutes ago, HH56 said:

Thanks! I did see this drawing but the city and passing light designations had(have) me confused.

I'll definitely check out the foot dimmer switch. Car could probably use a whole rewire.

Raul

45 minutes ago, HH56 said:

The 37 parking lights are inside the headlight enclosure so that is probably what you are seeing when you say headlights are dim in the second position.  Definitely there should be head lights on in the third and fourth positions.   Packard made some changes in headlight switches during the 36-38 period but as far as I know the wiring on them stayed the same.  The foot or "dimmer" switch has been a source of problems for some so you might check its operation and wiring.   There was a 36 bulletin on how to rewire the right side to partially change function if the owner desired to have both lights work the same.   I believe that change turned them into more or less working like current sealed beams and might have been done to your 37.  Of course, in the history of the car others could have done some mods as well which could be doing something strange.  

If you don't have a wiring diagram you can download the AEA diagram from the PAC site  https://www.packardclub.org  That diagram is a bit easier to follow than the Packard factory diagrams.  Here is an easy to view illustration of the headlight switch showing the terminals with the various wire colors.

headlight sw.jpg

If you don't have an owner's manual and a shop manual, I highly encourage it! I bought reprints very reasonably from PAC, and they are available digitally on PackardInfo.com.

Good luck!

Ken_P

Im gathering the books and info now. 

Update

Replaced several bulbs, taillight fuse, and a bad fog light switch. Headlights, taillights, brake lights, fog lights seem to be working.  Third position of light switch still not working but I'll get to that later. 

Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1

In todays legal environment wonder if anyone has run across a cop who would not listen to how something operated and gave a ticket for having faulty lights or not having both lights dim when passing a car.  If so it would seem like position 4 is one that should be inoperative at all times and not position 3.  Also, having parking lights on when headlights are on is another verboten operation in some if not all states.  At least being in the same enclosure maybe the parking lights are not too visible when headlights are on.