wire wheels for a series 151.

Brooklyn Beer

Franklin offered three types of wheels in 31. Demountable rim, demountable wood, and wire wheels.

For the car I know your thinking about, it has demountable rim wheels, sometimes called "clincher wheels".  With that type wheel the wooden spokes, inner rim, and hub stay through-bolted to the brake drums. They are not removable without taking off the drum and hub. It's the outer rim and tire that are all that is needed to be removed when changing a tire.  

If the car had the optional demountable wood wheels, those are held on with special long lug bolts. The hub, spokes, rim , and tire come off as a complete unit when changing a tire.   

So, to convert that 151 to wire wheels, you'd not only need to find a set of wire wheels and correct length lug bolts, you'd also need to find a set of brake drums and hubs for the removable type wheels.  And all that is getting tough to find

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

So what all has to be changed out to go from wood spoke wheels to wire on a series 151 ?

Beer, I have 2 sets of 1930-33 wire wheels ,rings and hubs/drums . I can send pictures  with price. Shipping could be Fastenal to Fastenal. 

• Like 1

Mike can you post pictures of everything you have to this thread please?  I really don't know everything I need and maybe some of the other folks who follow me could chime in and make sure I am getting what I do need.   Paul explained it pretty well above.  Changing to wire wheels and new hubs will I also have to do some brake shoe upgrades as well or are the hubs the same diameter?

Thank you!

Chris

proud new owner of a series 151 sedan.

I ended up buying William and Pat Musto's 151.  It had been for sale on the Franklin club board since October.  Incredible folks they are.  I feel privileged that they chose me to be the next caretaker of their wonderful car.  It should be heading my way in about 3 weeks. Everyone should be prepared for a slew of questions.  I am thinking of starting a running thread entitled "I just bought a Franklin, what is the first things I should do ?"

Car

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

"I just bought a Franklin, what is the first things I should do ?"

Car

Stick a wooden stick (dowl rod works nice) into the gas tank to see how much gas is in it (5 inches is a good level), check the oil to make sure it has oil in it, and then drive it around the block and if it does well then a couple blocks, and then if all is well venture out to dinner. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I ended up buying William and Pat Musto's 151.  It had been for sale on the Franklin club board since October.  Incredible folks they are.  I feel privileged that they chose me to be the next caretaker of their wonderful car.  It should be heading my way in about 3 weeks. Everyone should be prepared for a slew of questions.  I am thinking of starting a running thread entitled "I just bought a Franklin, what is the first things I should do ?"

Car

I didn’t buy it last week - guess I didn’t offer them enough for it. 

Roger

9 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I didn’t buy it last week - guess I didn’t offer them enough for it. 

Roger

I don't know, maybe I offered too much ?  I guess i was lucky to make the deal when I did ! Was talking with Bill and Pat for a few weeks as I was getting my ducks and row and had been watching it since January.  It took a little shoving from a few club members to understand the value of a side draft car VS a down draft.  Almost dragged my feet a little too long it sounds like. My first Franklin and a little over the budget I had set aside but didn't want a project so no regrets.

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

The car looks great with the wood wheels. I would leave them on the car like it came from the factory. The brake drums are the same for wire or wood wheels.  Where is the spare tire? If its rear mounted and switch to wires you will also need a casting to carry the spare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikewest said:

The car looks great with the wood wheels. I would leave them on the car like it came from the factory. The brake drums are the same for wire or wood wheels.  Where is the spare tire? If its rear mounted and switch to wires you will also need a casting to carry the spare.

Just to be clear,....

The "artillery" (Franklin's term for demountable rim type) wood wheel brake drums on Chris's 151 are not the same as the drums  used with "demountable wood",  or wire wheels. The size of the center hole, and the bolt hole, verse rivet hole patterns are totally different.   Chris can not use demountable wood, or wire wheels with his artillery wood wheel drums.

Paul  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mikewest said:

Has a double mount spare holder in the rear.   

Keep the wood wheels. Civilian spectators are thrilled to see them. There is something particularly impressive with dual rear spares hanging off the end of an old car with artillery wheels. See what I mean ?       -    CC 

My 1927 Cadillac 

BBB71434-36D3-4F3E-98F4-CC4D831FCC26.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes Carl, this pretty impressive actually now that I see it from another angle.  The wood wheels are in very good shape so I will scratch wire wheels off the list. At the local shows around here it is very rare to see a pre war car.  I show up with my non rodded 49 Road Master and that is usually the oldest one there.  Double spares really speaks of crappy 1930's roads for sure !   and of course the car will look more massive then it already is.  Carl what are you using to strap them together?

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
new (see edit history)

If the car has a double mount rear spare tire holder then that is an aftermarket item, was never offered by Franklin and is not in the accessory catalog for 1930-31 nor in any Franklin Service or Dealers Bulletins issued to the Franklin dealers of that era , nor do any of those publications show the cars with dual rear mounted spares. I have almost a full run of both of those publications for the 1928 thru 1934 era, plus the accessories catalog as well. The dual rear spare tire holder would most likely just hold the rim and the tire , NOT the wood wheel since it is non demountable as Paul Fitz states.

If you want to "make the car your own" by adding things, consider a pair of rear tail lights which were an option ( you would have to find the proper factory tail light and arm - no they are not reproduced ) so you can add in directional signals . Hand signals are great but most modern drivers think you aren't signaling but waving hello to them 😑 to be friendly , not wanting to let them know where you are going!

Your best education would be to go to the Franklin Club trek ( annual meet) in Cazenovia, NY to talk to in person and see in person similar cars, look in the parts for sale area etc. I know yo are responsible for some rescue animals but now is the once a year opportunity to find out about a car you just bought.

• Like 1

Amen to all that Walt said with one addition. If by chance you make it to the Hershey fall flea market be sure to visit the Franklin group in the Red Field. Of course there are other Franklin members all over Hershey as well.

Bill

I understand that. But we have people coming to the Trek in NY on a regular basis from California, Minnesota, Oregon, Alaska, Etc. from all over the USA and on several occasions from Australia. 

Join the fun, you don't have to bring your car, or even have a car. Not everybody brings a car, but everybody there rides in a Franklin!!!

Bill 

• Like 1

"I don't know, maybe I offered too much ?"  

I paid a little too much for my 1921 Franklin 9B touring. But I figured it would be worth it over the long run.

That was 20+ years ago, and I couldn't be happier over my purchase.

1. Join the Franklin Club (you did so)
  2. Buy an instruction manual for your car. Previous owner should have one for the car 
  3. Buy a parts manual for your car via the Franklin Club members only section. Series 15 and 16 Parts Book, Series 151 – 152 - 153 – 163. ISBN 978-1095816219. Catalog number M-29-05.  Click here to go to Amazon.com to purchase.
  4. Make connections with other Franklin club people (you're doing it).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hook said:

............................. but everybody there rides in a Franklin!!!

Bill 

Well,..... almost everyone.  I think I hold the record - 37 Treks and not one tour in a Franklin.  Not that I'm advocating that's a good thing .... :D

Paul

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RansomEli said:

"I don't know, maybe I offered too much ?"  

I paid a little too much for my 1921 Franklin 9B touring. But I figured it would be worth it over the long run.

That was 20+ years ago, and I couldn't be happier over my purchase.

1. Join the Franklin Club (you did so)
  2. Buy an instruction manual for your car. Previous owner should have one for the car 
  3. Buy a parts manual for your car via the Franklin Club members only section. Series 15 and 16 Parts Book, Series 151 – 152 - 153 – 163. ISBN 978-1095816219. Catalog number M-29-05.  Click here to go to Amazon.com to purchase.
  4. Make connections with other Franklin club people (you're doing it).

Found instruction manual on club site. READ READ READ.   Bought the parts manual from Amazon 5 minutes ago..  Making connections with great folks which has been the experience of all so far when I started the journey to "find a late 20's - 30's car".

Also found out today concrete guy can't pour till saturday  Grrr  Thankfully I know the owner of the batch plant and can get the 16 yards squeezed in when needed.  Too much work here in TX and not anyone skilled to hire anymore to get the work done.  New garage scheduled to be installed in 2-3 weeks.  Car can ship when that is all completed !  So lots of time to continue learning

35 minutes ago, hook said:

OK,OK But.........You've followed more Franklins than anyone I know! Maybe someday you'll catch one. haha

Actually, Bill, I do get to catch some,.....  just not on a tour.

And, no one need feel sympathy for me. For the rest of the year, I'm very blessed to get to work on and drive some Franklins that most of us can only dream about.  All but one.

Paul 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:09 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

Has a double mount spare holder in the rear.   

When I test drove the car last week, I happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw the second spare tire bouncing down the road. Luckily it didn't kill anyone. Bill seemed unfazed by this as if it happens all the time. I went back and tossed the tire in the back seat. When you get the car home, sell that silly double spare carrier on eBay!

• Like 2

Agree with Steve. I had a double spare carrier on my 1927 boat tail. In a way it looked kind of cool, but far too heavy in the rear. I took off the second spare and was much happier with the appearance, and handling, of the car. That’s a lot of weight hanging out there.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just a note that I have wire wheels I bought with my 1931 151 Vic that has and still has wooden wheels.  I am not going to put the wire wheels on the car now.  Wheels are rusty so they would have to be painted, not chromed;  have 5 wheels, rings and the brake drums and I think 3-4 hubcaps that need restored also. Tires or flaps not installed. The drums are connected to the wheels. SO, If you get close to Greensboro NC and want to see them sometime, give me a call/email. Really don't want to get into discussion now about them &  I am not going to entertain shipping now. Just remember that I have them. Of course, the club now has new drums if any of mine are bad---haven't slightest idea, haven't looked at them in 18 years.
My car is shown on the Club Website under 'Pictures' and 'Franklins by Year of Mfr.': 1931 Victoria Brougham (one of few)

• Like 3

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SIGNING OUT AS 'RICHARD DRYMAN' AND SIGNING IN AS 'FRANKLIN31'.
THAT  WAS MY NAME EARLIER (AND I FORGOT THAT--HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE TOO MANY BIRTHDAYS & HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM THE FRANKLIN FOR A WHILE).  SORRY !!
DIFFERENT MEMBER NAME--SAME PERSON --SAME '31 VICTORIA BROUGHAM.