Reatta vs allante in the wild

Kevin M

I don’t know if it’s just the area of the country I live in but I’ve seen significantly more allante’s in the wild than Reattas. Just this last week I saw  three different allantes. I’ve only seen two other reattas since I’ve known of them. And by now about 10- 12 Allantes. This is excluding junk yards but then I’m only up to 7 reattas. Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Like 1

I see neither very often.  Usually in Iowa, Allantes are for sale (LOL).  I know of one very poor 1990 Black and Tan Reatta convertible local, and he and I have made contact.  2 years ago I saw a 1991 Reatta near Iowa City, at a McDonalds.   I saw one Allante in Wisconsin on a business trip 2 weeks ago.  I travel for business, and look around a lot.  I see maybe 3 Reattas a year, but fewer Allantes.  Just my experience. 

• Like 2

From a collecting perspective, I think both cars attract a similar collector. I’ve had three Allantes in addition to my Reattas, and I really like the Allante overall (certain years/powertrains). 

Ironically, the guy I just bought my latest ‘91 Reatta convertible from was also selling a ‘93 Polo Green Allante with under 20,000 miles. Allantes came up during casual conversation with his selling agent, and then I learned he also had an Allante craving. Seemed to prove my point! Haha. 

@B Jake Moran I agree with your point about Allantes in Iowa- I just moved from DSM to AZ a few years ago after being there the first 25 years of my life. I bought an 87 Allante with 41k pearl/red from Stivers out in Waukee they got in on trade. Sold it to a 93 year old collector in Marshalltown who just had to have it. Small world!

Edited by azreattacollector (see edit history)

7 Allantes vs 3 Reatta on CL today. '93 had the NorthStar engine. I've always had trouble with the Allante interior and displays do not take sun well. Any more my topless craze is handled by retractables.

Kevin M down on the Island I think that the Allante's are a little more plentiful but not by much. Overall not many of each. Pic is about a year ago we were not parked next to each other but decided to do a photo shoot, Allante is nice but Reatta is sportier. But I am biased lol!!

IMG_20180707_184539177_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Padg, I agree that Caddy finally got the message about the Allante in 93, but way too late of course.  If they had jettisoned the Bosch anti-lock system and the troublesome fancy dash in, say 89 rather than 93, the car might  have had a chance.  I don't, however, think the crucial change was the Northstar motor which itself was beset by problems.  They never got around to making the convertible top a one hand-one button affair [the top pull down motor was a cottage industry in itself].  And all those absurd little filler trim pieces most of which probable blew away at 90mph.  And the Bose sound system that makes upgrading to modern sound nearly impossible, and . . . . .

The was a PITA on the Allante, the Reatta top was far superior in operation and form - The Allante top was recalled originally for a defect that when you would click it in place putting it down it would stress the rear window and it would shatter, this was early in production but many cars on dealer lots could not be sold until they had the top repaired and there was a time frame wait for the parts to repair.