Struts Replaced by ideeot #!x&*!!!

'91 Polo Green

About two weeks ago - The following happened.

So I live in a small town with an old garage and an old guy that
claims to have been a mechanic well before the 1990's. So I bought
all new strut and shocks parts and decided to give the old guy a
shot on replacing my struts. When I got the car back it clunked and
sound like a midget hitting something with a hammer every time I
so much as hit a pebble or deformation in the road.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how he has messed this job up? I have
attached the pics for your viewing pleasure. (And reference of
course) Yes I know, i could/should have done it myself. Even though
I have not performed this particular task on my beautiful '91, yet I
decide to attempt benevolence and throw the old guy a few bucks.
And btw, I is old as well, but after all, how could he screw it up. Well
he did!

Any insights will be greatly appreciated afore I take the
thing apart and fix it myself. (Like I shoulduh done in duh first
place!) 

Thanks, JW 

- '88 Black and Red Reatta (Have parts - will sell!)
- '91 Polo Green Reatta
- '71 Volvo P1800E in Sun Yellow
- '86 Honda Helix "Hotrod Scooter"

Parts bought:

(2) MONROE 71966 OeSpectrum Struts

(2) WESTAR ST2971 - Strut Mounting Kit

* May ye be gone a half an hour afore the devil knows yer gone!

Strut Messed up 0.jpg

Strut Messed up 01.jpg

Strut Messed up 02.jpg

Strut Messed up 03.jpg

Strut Messed up 04.jpg

Strut Mounting Kit i bought.jpg

I truly feel your pain!  I had the same thing happen on my 2000 Eldorado last month.  Not only did the mechanic I used totally destroy the front mounts, he over filled the grease cups on the new front links blowing them out thus making them useless. 

Aren't you even considering taking it back?   I am pretty sure he will tell you he isn't fixing it, but I would want some satisfaction. 

I was a mechanic and I hated struts and anything to do with springs.  I would have to go look at my Reattas to see what the issue is, but from your photos, it looks unattached, floating and thus - clunking.

From these picture s something does not look right. The top mounts look to be to small for the strut towers holes on the car.  You should not be able to see much of the lower part of the mounts when installed.  Also on my car the slot in the top is oriented left to right and it aligns with one stud closest  to the fender.   Its does not look like these  are oriented correctly.  Also one of the 3 studs is not drawn up like the rest on both sides The  Also the rubber in the top mounts looks old but could be just the pictures.   I am not sure if strut mounts for the 91 were different than the 88 and 89 cars Ronnie or Dave may know. I think when I did the mine the Reatta Store was open and I recall different parts for 88-89 and 90-91 cars.   I did all my strut replacements and I can take a picture of what it should look like from the top later today.

Edited by Dashmaster (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Dashmaster said:

From these picture s something does not look right. The top mounts look to be to small for the strut towers holes on the car. 

That's what I was thinking.  Of course the installer should have seen that too (if that is actually correct) and brought that to your attention.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:52 AM, '91 Polo Green said:

Parts bought:

(2) MONROE 71966 OeSpectrum Struts

(2) WESTAR ST2971 - Strut Mounting Kit

Something's not adding up here.

According to RockAuto:  (they usually list the correct parts)

MONROE 71966 OeSpectrum Struts are for the REAR.   MONROE 71854 OeSpectrum is the correct strut for the FRONT

WESTAR ST2971 - Strut Mounting Kit is for the REAR.   WESTAR ST2965 - Strut Mounting Kit is the correct part for the FRONT

Looks like two mistakes were made. 

1. You purchased the wrong parts if you listed what you bought.  

2.  He installed the wrong parts or he just left the old worn out parts  in place.  

Looking at the photos I think we are seeing old torn rubber parts.  They certainly don't look new to me.  There is a good possibility that you got screwed.

image.png.a8347fc19f6655ffc19d9dc4e8c4eea7.png

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I don't think there was an intent to screw anyone, he just tried to make it work with what he had. However he should have called the client and said the parts were wrong with what was there originally, or stopped.

Also this is why many shops won't allow the customer to bring in their own parts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

I don't think there was an intent to screw anyone, he just tried to make it work with what he had.

You could be right. Maybe the photo I re-posted of the strut mount with rotted and torn rubber was a "before" photo of the old mount and he didn't make that clear.  There could be more to this story than we've heard so far...

Here is the "Rest of the story" . . . .

Time frame was slightly off as well - maybe it has been a month/6weeks since work was done.

In any event, my bad guys - I unintentionally listed the strut part number for the rear shocks

- so yes, everyone is correct for info provided.

Second thing is - The pictures are "After" the work was done - and yes instead of 22ftlbs for the top nut - he probably put about 150ftlbs or more on that nut. 

Turd thing is - The mounting nut that wasn't tightened down far enough was actually stripped!!! Gonna have to dremel-cut that baby off! (Have new top mount kits in hand)

What I actually purchased was:

(2) MONROE 71854 OeSpectrum struts

and the (2) WESTAR ST2971 - Strut Mounting Kits

So now what ye say? (As far as clunking noises) Everything seems tight and right visually.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Ps. I know there was no bad intent on his part. God Bless him - we are all getting old.

I'm curious, did you have trouble getting your car aligned. When I changed out my struts as well as other things, I had trouble finding anyone to do the alignment. I ended up taking it to Sears in North Austin, Tx. At first the he didn't want to do it, but he kept trying, then finally he got it. It drives perfect now.  

Hey Bikemikey - wasn't a problem at all. Finding competent mechanics is the only problem I have these days. Especially the ones that aren't computer literate. First thing I ask nowdays - 'are you a computer guy'. If they answer no, I'm gone.

What year is your Reatta btw?

Any suspension shop should be able to install the strut and mount with no trouble.  There is nothing terribly unique about the Reatta setup.  I've done the job and it is a PITA what with compressing the springs and all [which, as I recall is not necessary in the rear].  I know some folks don't like them, but I put in a camber kit when I do my struts.  The whole business is, after all, almost 30 years old and without the kit, most shops will not adjust the camber as  part of an alignment.  I run 255/50/17s in the rear and I need to put some shims back there to keep the tires from wearing improperly.  Only the more modern machines in the hands of a careful tech can provide the actual specs on the alignment, front and rear.  That allows you to fine tune for yourself, particularly the rear.  Wish there were a slightly larger front sway bar for our cars.  If I could find a convertible in the wrecking yard [several coupes but no verts], I'd put the torsion strut  across the shock towers from that model  into my coupe.

Richard

1 hour ago, wufibug said:

If I could find a convertible in the wrecking yard [several coupes but no verts], I'd put the torsion strut  across the shock towers from that model  into my coupe.

What kind of torsion strut did the verts have that the coupe didn't?  The coupes have a steel brace that runs between the strut towers in the front. Are you talking about something the verts had in the rear?