frnkeore

Lincoln O/D Transmission?

I have what I believe to be a Lincoln Zephyr OD trans.

Am I right and did Ford offer it in any other marque?

Also, I'd like to know the value, as I intend to sell it.

Thank you,

Frank

OD trans.JPG

OD Trans1.JPG

OD Trans2.JPG

OD trans3.jpg

If you brush the muck off it and tell us the case number and any other identifying marks on it, I may be able to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Give me a day or two and I'll get it cleaned up and offer any number that I find.

Also, if you look at the clutch linkage, it appears it has some kind of auto-acting linkage.

Edited by frnkeore (see edit history)

Ok, I got it cleaned up, enough to get more detail.

The number on it is H121254* Does that make it 1941 and what does the star indicate?

The number on the OD housing, seems to be 24400 and under that L144, what would that indicate?

The Zephyr seems to have a very different clutch actuation, I've not seen anything like it.

OD Trans4.JPG

OD Trans5.JPG

OD Trans6.JPG

OD Trans8.JPG

OD Trans7.JPG

Posted (edited)

I cannot see that number in The Hollander. Usually case numbers are cast in raised alpha-numerics. Stamped ones might be in your parts book.

'41-42 Zephyr, Continental & Custom appear to use case 26H7005A. '42-48 used the same case with a different MDG.

Are these raised castings?

image.png.ee36f20f5b3feb7a7adb0458354c72c5.png

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Comparing the overdrive part to the line drawing for 1941-46 overdrive in MoToR's Manual 1947, it certainly looks like a Lincoln gearbox from that era.

The Hollander has let us down before with known gearboxes having different case numbers to those shown. There are a number of entries that say something like "no case data available" too.

I have a late model 1950 Lincoln OD trans in my 32 Ford coupled up to a 283 Chevy.

The late 50 does not have the large bell housing and only required sanding down the bell housing hole by hand on the 283 in order for it to fit.

I fabricated a simple adapter in order to bolt it up.

I eliminated the electric kick down controls and use only a switch and one lever in order to operate it.

The over drive unit that bolts onto the back of the trans. is of similar design to all OD's in use at the time. (I think that it was made by the same company)

Thank you Roger, for the suggestion.

This trans could be done with a early Ford adapter but, I can not find one for a SBF, only SBC (new or used) and used ones for Olds, Cad & Buick. I was supprized at that.

I was hoping that Spinneyhill would get back to me, on the picture of the last casting numbers. I assume that the 11-20 is a date but, don't know about the other one.

Frank

R10-1 is the OD box type. All manufacturers used the BW R10 about that time - the first electric-control OD. I don't know the 11-20, but I suspect it is a casting date as you say. The gearbox in front of the OD often had a type alpha-numeric cast on it too, although I believe it was often not cast on Ford boxes. It would be a T191. The Hollander says Lincoln used gearbox case type 28H7005A when it was an OD version. The non-OD box would be a 06H7005 case, '41-48. The gears in this box will "speed up Ford", the Hollander says. Ford and Mercury '41-48 used a version of the same gearbox with a different case number - 01A-7005 for the passenger cars.

The gears in these transmissions fit most T83 transmissions, which were used by a number of car makers in the mid-'30s.

Thank you, very much, Spinneyhill. My last question is, about the speedometer sending unit, it appears to be electric. I wasn't aware that they had electric sending unit, that early.

Frank

That's the governor unit, not the speedometer gear. Speedometer gear should be on the other side near the back of the overdrive unit.

Spinneyhill,

Thank you, very much, that was a interesting read.

I actually have a more modern OD trans. I have a '84 Corvette, with a Doug Nash, 4+2 transmission. It's a T10 BW, 4 speed with a OD unit.

Frank

18 hours ago, frnkeore said:

Matt, thank you, very much.

It keeps the OD from engaging, until a certain speed?

It does a number of things, including dropping it out of overdrive when you slow down and preventing the overdrive from engaging at too low a speed. It basically interrupts current to the solenoid relay based on speed.