Classy Tow Car

TerryB

Somewhere I have a photo of our 1962 Rambler Classic 400,

using a tow strap to pull our 1978 Suburban 3/4 Ton, itself pulling the open trailer.

Grandson Nathan, still in a child safety seat, wanted to go to a McDonald's Playland - when he saw a McDonald sign, he knew there would be a Playland,and would claim to be hungry.

Up the off-ramp from I-10 to Tillman's Corners in Mobile, Alabama, on the way home from the AACA Divisional, the Suburban's 454 engine timing chain decided not to cooperate.

Rather than calling for two wreckers, one for the truck and another for the trailer, my always quick-thinking bride suggested that we back the Rambler off the trailer and use it to pull the Suburban and trailer up the ramp and into the wal-Mart parking lot. Once there, we offloaded the Rambler and packed it with our luggage, tools, and child seat. The plan was to drive it the 140 miles home, returning the next day with the other Suburban, then winch up the broken one and tow it home. 

That is exactly what happened, but with one exception - a couple of gentlemen who had driven from Mobile to New Orleans to look at a Falcon were disappointed in its rusty decrepit condition. When they saw our mint condition all-original unrestored Rambler, shiny beige with coppertone seat-beds, Mark-IV A/C, OHV-6, stick shift, and less than 3,xxx miles from new, they made an offer I couldn't refuse. We drove it home Saturday, went back for the Suburban on Sunday, cashed their check at their bank Monday, and let them pick up the Rambler Tuesday. Along with the sale, I offered them an AACA membership, along with an introduction to Deep South Region, but don't believe they followed up.

More then twenty years ago a friend and I were given a personal tour of the Nethercutt collection storage area. There was a never to be forgotten picture of a 66hp Pierce Arrow being towed behind another 66hp  Pierce. It was either across the desert, or maybe the salt flats. We were told that the tow was performed at substantially higher speeds then would be considered prudent. 

20 hours ago, TerryB said:

Not one but TWO Daytonas - I think I hate this guy!  🤣  Great to see that they're not trailer or garage queens (OK, the white one gets trailered, but it also gets raced).

An interesting tidbit from the article - apparently a tow hitch was a factory option on the Daytona.  Kinda surprising - just doesn't seem to go with the image of a street-legal NASCAR racer.

...Machado's actually been using his Daytonas to haul car trailers around for years—just like his father did with his own Charger Daytona decades ago...Machado picked up the family legacy years ago after he acquired the red-orange car in 1991 and the white car years later—neither came with a factory tow hitch like dear ol' Dad's Charger...