Aftermarket Wood Steering Wheel

awk409ak

2 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Has anyone tried staining the veneer darker.  

Art

If the veneer in your car is original, restraining it would be difficult.  The original veneer has a coating of shellac over it that would prevent the new stain from reaching  into the veneer.  If you were to remove the shellac, it might be possible.

You can buy urethane that has stain mixed in it at Home   Depot or Lowe's. You could brush it on over the original

finish on your wood and it would make it darker. I bought a reproduction wood steering wheel for my GTO and it was

gorgeous except the finish on the wheel was way too light....not like the original darker walnut finish. I bought the clear urethane with

walnut stain added in a pint can and brushed 3 coats on my steering wheel and let it dry for seven days, then lightly steel wooled it with

0000 steel wool, and it came out correct and gorgeous, with a much darker finish.

DSCN0263.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...

I’ve been looking around for a wood steering wheel for my 64 and do see that the OPGI one that fits for a 64 is a Grant steering wheel.  I also saw one on Ebay for $225 (prices have gone up i see!). I downloaded a Grant catalog but have not called in for prices.  I have not seen any with the Riviera logo in the middle, only the Buick logo (which I dont mind).  Any suggestions?  Is OPGI still an option? ($220 with free shipping) or else Ebay seem to be decent options.  My ultimate goal is to restore the original steering wheel that is cracked but I know given my time, it will take a while and would like to just swap it with a nice wood steering wheel that doesn’t break the bank.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, Seafoam65 said:

You can buy urethane that has stain mixed in it at Home   Depot or Lowe's. You could brush it on over the original

finish on your wood and it would make it darker. I bought a reproduction wood steering wheel for my GTO and it was

gorgeous except the finish on the wheel was way too light....not like the original darker walnut finish. I bought the clear urethane with

walnut stain added in a pint can and brushed 3 coats on my steering wheel and let it dry for seven days, then lightly steel wooled it with

0000 steel wool, and it came out correct and gorgeous, with a much darker finish.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, RivNut said:

If you were to remove the shellac, it might be possible.

Ed, you may remember I bought some dark walnut pieces for the interior of my 63. I got the door panels and back seat wood panels installed and they quite nice. Not stock but who is going to know?

There were 2 console pieces that had to be recreated. The walnut wood I bought did not match the original walnut color I got from you. Imagine that. So, I’ve learned about dewaxxed shellac flakes to make the color .You grind the flakes in a coffee grinder and mix the powdered shellac with denatured alcohol then strain the fluid through a coffee filter. You can apply the concoction shellac with a pad or a brush. I’ll show you when I finish. ( no pun intended)

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)