Aftermarket Wood Steering Wheel

awk409ak

Grant Steering Wheels has universal wood steering wheels. Several eBay sellers have them.

Beware: the wheel kit I bought for my 68 Riv has a turn signal cancelling cam that does not line up correctly with the turn signal switch when the steering wheel is installed and oriented correctly. The cancelling cam should line up between the turn signal switch "arms" when installed so that the turn signal is disengaged when the wheel is turned. The cam for the Grant wheel I had lines up outside of and not between the arms. Thus when you turn to the left, for example, after signaling and turning right, the switch is not disengaged by the cam, resulting in having to manually turn off the turn signal.

Another complaint I have with the Grant wood wheels is that they are too smooth. While they look very attractive, the wheels get very slippery when your hands get sweaty.

I eventually got tired of both issues and reinstalled my stock, original steering wheel and cancelling cam. I will deal with my cracked steering wheel hub until I can find a nicer original steering wheel.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I got my wood wheel on eBay a few years ago. I don’t see them on there now. Mine has a thicker rim, which I like, but as noted above, my turn signal no longer turns off automatically. Not a big deal to me though because one of the signals sticks anyhow and you have to jiggle it no matter what.

A67A9C5E-D7D0-44B3-9F61-33309D709FC2.jpeg

I just bought a set of Bilstein shocks from them. Damn well hope they fit (they're in the mail).

I bought an AC compressor from them last year and it did not fit, or it didn't fit until my mechanic made some adjustments to the metal plate that hangs below it.

So yeah, I've had multiple issues with OPGI parts. The quality is usually good, but the fitment, never be sure.

Greetings Art!  Grant makes a nice wood wheel which looks great in the Riv. It is a Corvette style wheel, w three spokes that are very close in appearance to the ones found on the optional Riv wood wheel.. If you're not a stickler for authenticity this wheel is actually an improvement over the highly coveted & very expensive GS wheel. The weak points of that one are the poorly designed horn bar which eventually breaks, & the steel trim ring around the outer rim, which has a tendency to come off. The Grant wheel has a center horn button, which comes complete w a very authentic Riv logo. It is also made of real wood, unlike the factory wheel. You will find one of these and other Grant wheels suitable for your Riv on eBay for around $170., which beats the $600-$1200 some want for a decent GS wheel. My only critiques of the Grant wheel are that the rich dark red mahogany color is not a great match for the Riv's walnut interior trim, and the wood is covered in a thick layer of polyurethane which is a little too shiny for my taste. I actually had mine lacquered black by a local paint shop. To the untrained eye is has the appearance of a stock item.   Good luck!!   Drew

• Like 1

Thanks RIVNIK,

I have been looking at the Grant #965 and #974.  These are two that they say will work.  They have a 3 bolt mounting pattern.  A few things I don't like and that is the adapter cover is black and they do not have the Riviera "R" horn button anymore.  So trying to decide how important this is to me.  Not too crazy about the tri-shield cap, but I could go with the plain chrome.  Would prefer the stainless cap, but not offered.

Art

s-l1600.jpg

looks like word got out that Grant stopped making the Riviera horn button.....there's a new Grant wheel w Riv button on eBay but  asking twice as much as one w the tri-shield. Maybe you can contact seller & talk some sense into them. Listing is for" '63-'75 Buick Riviera steering wheel, horn button" 

While on the subject there's another critique I have about the Grant wheel....the edges of the spokes are not finished off properly, creating a sharp edge which makes one finger steering uncomfortable. I remedied this w my Dremmel Tool, carefully grinding the edges nearest the rim to a fine radius. Huge improvement in minutes!

On July 20, 2019 at 9:54 AM, awk409ak said:

Yes, saw this one today.  The spokes are chrome, the other one the spokes are stainless steel, prefer the stainless, but like this horn button.  I have tried contacting the seller, but they never reply.

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Art- that is a beautiful steering wheel ! Definitely a step up over the others above. Hope it works out . Keep us updated . 

KReed

ROA 14549 

I do prefer the stainless spokes.  Have tried to contact seller, but he has not replied.  So I was thinking of buying both, but using the stainless steel wheel with the R cap in my Riviera.  The chrome one I can use in my 47 Chevy Woodie Wagon, which is still process.  Or just paint the tri-shield to match my interior, that cheaper.😁

Art

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, awk409ak said:

Have tried to contact seller, but he has not replied

I also sent questions to this seller but never received any responses. If an Ebay seller can't bother to answer questions sent to them, they don't deserve my business. AND, this wheel is one of the more expensive ones being offered on the site so you would think the seller would be interested in communicating with potential buyers.

My two cents worth... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's an update on my steering wheel.  Went with the chrome spokes (prefered the SS spokes, but...).  The wood is darker than the wood in the car, but I think all were that way even the original simulated wood wheels were dark.  Anyhow trying it out.  Install went smooth, no issues and everything works.

Bodayguy,

You mentioned your turn signals do not cancel, did you install that roll pin on the backside of the adapter?

Art

20190807_175541.thumb.jpg.554f8841bff32e6362ee2274ec753422.jpg

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)
  • Like 6

If Bodayguy is going with an aftermarket wheel, that's his choice.  The "simulated wood factory  wheel" didn't match the other veneer either.  Plus, there's little chance that he's going to break the horn bar.  Bill Mitchell put a three bar wheel in his SIlver Arrow I:  he must have known something. 

Image result for bill mitchell silver arrow 1 steering wheel

But it if were me, I'd redo the other veneer to match the steering wheel.

• Like 1

N

2 hours ago, dr914 said:

There is just something that does not look right on the first generation with an aftermarket wheel. This is more like it, and readily available used.

IMG_3358.jpg

Readily available ?.. Where ? 

KReed

ROA 14549 

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

If Bodayguy is going with an aftermarket wheel, that's his choice.  The "simulated wood factory  wheel" didn't match the other veneer either.  Plus, there's little chance that he's going to break the horn bar.  Bill Mitchell put a three bar wheel in his SIlver Arrow I:  he must have known something. 

The original shade of the wood veneer and the wood wheel/shift knob were a much closer match (much like the Silver Arrow)  when new than the UV faded veneer everyone assumes is "correct".

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

Tom,

Are you saying that my veneer has faded that much?  I see KReed's is fairly light too?  Just asking.

Rivnut,

Maybe I should look into replacing the veneer as another winter time project.

KReed,

I agree, I could not spend the $1500 for the original wheel and horn kit.  That's my lose I know, so went with an aftermarket wheel.  Not perfect I know.

Art

21 hours ago, kreed said:

gene guarnere has them and ebay always does, new horn bars are available and that stock look makes the car nicer looking and more valuable and more appreciated!  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=buick+riviera+wood+steering+wheel&_sacat=0

21 hours ago, kreed said:

Readily available ?.. Where ? 

KReed

ROA 14549 

On 8/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, RivNut said:

It would be much much much easier to have the color of the wheel changed to a color that matches the veneer.

Messing with the veneer on the door panels is a major project. The wheel can be removed and sent off to be refinished

in 10 minutes.

DSCN0353.JPG

4 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

It would be much much much easier to have the color of the wheel changed to a color that matches the veneer.

Messing with the veneer on the door panels is a major project. The wheel can be removed and sent off to be refinished

in 10 minutes.

DSCN0353.JPG

Refinished in 10 minutes.  What kind of guarantee comes with that? 🤔