1955 322 piston set

50jetback

I am researching to purchase a set of 020 over pistons and rings for my 1955 Super with a 322 engine.

I have been looking at these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Buick-322-V-8-Pistons-Rings-Kit-1954-1955-1956-PST1040T-8/191612111053?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The people I'm dealing with seem helpful and the price including freight to Australia is reasonable. They are also supplying a BEST gasket set.

I inquired about country of manufacture for the pistons and have been advised ASIA - but no specific country.

Anyone used these pistons in a rebuild?

Suggestions on which company may supply the best pistons to use?

My engine was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the car and I believe pistons were supplied by a well known Buick parts supply company. My current problem has been caused by a manufacturing fault.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Stuart, I have built a few engines using pistons from Egge machine with no problems.  The only issue is that the engine should be balanced since there was a large weight difference between pistons and the cranking compression is lower than stock.  One engine now has over 100,000 miles.  0.020 over size pistons might be harder to find.  Is it possible to replace only the bad one?

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

.  0.020 over size pistons might be harder to find.  Is it possible to replace only the bad one?

During the rebuild the motor has been bored and new oversize pistons ( I believe .020 ) fitted.

I am unsure of when the rebuild was done but the motor is in excellent condition and won't need anything more than piston replacement. You can still see the finishing hone marks on the cylinder walls.

The defective piston seems to have a manufacturing crack on the top and a small hole has now developed in the top of the piston ( recent ).

It would be possible to replace only the defective piston but at this stage I'm unsure of the make and if I could source a single .020 piston.

Probably easier if I just get a full set.

Most likely those pistons made in China.  I once asked a parts supplier the same question on parts and his reply was ---   ' in China like everything else "   ☹️

Google centervilleautorepair.com   and talk to Russell.   You might pay more but get expert advice and hopefully good quality stuff.

• Like 1

I'd lean towards a quality piston like Egge's forged or Ross racing pistons.  I've had them make pistons for 4 different old engines and never had a problem.  I'm sure they have nailhead pistons in their database.  

To much work to put some cheap chinese cast pistons in there.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:19 PM, 50jetback said:

new oversize pistons ( I believe .020 ) fitted.

Be sure of the size by measuring or sometimes the over-size is stamped on the top of the piston.  Unless you don't trust the quality of the rest of the pistons, just get one piston, new or used and match balance to the old one before installing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago we put Jahns pistons in a 53' Skylark.  Nothing but trouble and they would actually swell up and scuff the cylinders.  It did it in two sets of pistons before we changed brands and never had anymore trouble.   

Every since then I try to put a quality forged piston in.  I really like using Ross pistons.  Easy to deal with and special orders take 3-4 weeks which is pretty good.  Customer service at Arias was pretty sad.  

• Like 1