Replaced the horn relay, horn still doesn’t work. 

Any ideas where to troubleshoot?

64 Riviera 

thanks 

Does the relay click when you hit the horn?  Have you tried applying voltage directly to the horn?

I have had a horn burn out before...

2 hours ago, 64Nail said:

Replaced the horn relay, horn still doesn’t work. 

Any ideas where to troubleshoot?

64 Riviera 

thanks 

Does the horn work if you run a jumper lead straight to it ?

Horns work with 12v put to them. Installed a new horn relay and it does not click when horn button pushed. 

Arrg

You should be able to probe the relay socket and verify that 12v is getting to the relay.   The next thing....when you push the horn, you are grounding that connection,  possibility that you have lost ground

I think your relay is a 3 pin unit,  the three wires are........12 v coming to the relay,  one wire is power going to the horns, and the last wire is from the horn button.

If you have 12 v at one wire,  jumper from that wire to the horn wire to verify that that wiring is good.   Next ground the wire at the relay that come from the horn,  if that works then the problem is in the steering column/horn button

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep. Looks like the steering wheel button. I suppose I need the special puller to get the wheel off

26 minutes ago, 64Nail said:

Yep. Looks like the steering wheel button. I suppose I need the special puller to get the wheel off

Probably not the button but the connection where the circuit enters the steering column.  I don't know what that connection looks like by 1964, but that is subject to much more wear and tear than the horn buttons isolated under the steering wheel,  UNLESS you know if the steering wheel has ever been removed in the past.  

I think it’s wired backwards. 

Is is it green left, black right?

it was clicking when I pushed the horn button on steering wheel...

C208E827-67DA-42C3-BABD-FFCCA85497A0.jpeg

Did you pull the green and black wires out of the connector and swap them? No? Then it is right. You cannot plug that connector on backwards either.

So, now the relay does click when the horn button is depressed?

OK, after a slight bit of research, I see this is a reproduction relay, slightly different than OEM. 

If you have a voltmeter or test light, ground the black lead and connect the other to each of the terminals of this relay. The bolt should have +12 on it always, right? Then one of the two terminals should also have +12 volts showing with the harness disconnected. This would be the terminal that connects to the horn button /steering column. The terminal without any voltage should go to the horns. Does this test match the green and black wires?

Put +12 volts right to the green or black wire that goes to the horns and see if they still blow.