MrEarl

For Sale - 1938 Century 4 DR Trunk Back, $5,400 OBO

Posted (edited)

MODEL 61-CENTURY-TOURING 4 DOOR SEDAN-TRUNK BACK - $5,400.00 or best offer

Title Status: Titles are not issued on 1962 or older year model vehicles in Georgia so therefore there is no title for this car. Not from the previous owner or the owner before him.  I can not obtain one from the DMV if I tried, they do not issue them, plain and simple. I will provide a Bill of Sale and the tag registration that the Executor of the Estate gave me. This registration does have a Title number on it if that is of any benefit. (Please don't turn this thread into a discussion of titles)       

History:  BCA and Dixie Chapter member Roddy Pearce purchased this Buick from its owner in Ohio in 1997. At that time it was a beautifully restored and excellent driving car. Roddy drove it and showed it at many area events. The car was last registered and I assume driven in 2004. The car was stored in his backyard in a portable garage which eventually deteriorated thereby leaving the car exposed to the elements. Roddy became ill and was unable to care for this and several other low mileage and nice Buicks. Roddy passed away last October leaving all the cars in his back yard.  I acquired the car from the estate through an auction.

Current Condition: Since purchasing the car I have cleaned the exterior and interior which has allowed me to be able to better assess the cars condition.

Exterior:  I have been over and under it with a flash light and magnet looking for signs of previous damage and rust  repair as well as for any new areas of rust and rust through since it's restoration and later poor storage. In short, while clearly seen in the photos there is obvious areas of paint de-lamination and surface rust, I found no signs of damage repair and only one area the size of a silver dollar having some light rust bubbling. The fenders appear to be straight as well as the sides, doors, hood and trunk. There is some VERY THIN (1/16" thk) body filler on some of the lower fender areas.  There is one nickle size dent approx 1/8" deep in the roof.  The frame and floors from underneath exhibit no signs of ever having rust through issues and appear to still be solid. The running board braces, metal base, rubber and chrome trim are in excellent condition and should need nothing, even for show. Condition of the glass and chrome should be evident from the pictures, if additional pictures are needed, please ask. 

Interior: There was mildew and mold areas mostly in the back seat and side arm rests created from water entering the quarter windows. I cleaned this with vinegar and shop vac however it did leave stains. The front seat, front floor mat, firewall and rear carpet does not appear to be hurt any at all and are very nice and presentable.  Some stains to lower front and rear door panels and more severe damage to the side arm rests. Headliner has one 3 inch tear in the rear near the window created when some knothead was vacuuming it. The dash and window panels have some surface rust but still retain some woodgraining.

Mechanics: I juiced the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and Acetone a couple days after bringing the car home and about 15 days later turned the engine freely by hand.  I was told by a friend of Roddy's that the engine was leaking water around the head gasket area. I have not and do not have any intention of starting the engine and would recommend based on this info that the head be removed and checked prior to any cranking. I have not hooked to a battery and therefore know nothing of the working condition of the gauges, clock, radio or other electrical items.

In general I believe this to be a VERY SOLID car with great potential for easy restoration back to original condition,  a driver or restomod.

Included in the sale will be a 320 straight eight block, head, pan and rocker cover which came with the car when I bought it.

I will also be offering for sale a set of '38 Century dual side mount fenders that would look great on this car. 

I have combed the internet looking for comparables for use in pricing the car. There are not many to be found. I did receive this info from Old Cars Report Price Guide from @suchan in the PreWar Forum and feel that this car fits between a #4 and #5. I've always had an affinity with the number "54" so lets start there, the car is offered at $5,400 or best offer.

6: $1320

5: $3960

4: $6600

3 (Driver-Quality): $14850

2: $23100

1: $33000

It's worth noting that the Special values in the guide are exactly the same. Anyone who's shopped for a Century knows that Centurys go for more than Specials. I think it's closer to reality to bump the top three categories up $5K or so.

NO. 1: EXCELLENT
Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area or perfect original with components operating or appearing as new; a 95-plus point show car that isn’t driven.

NO. 2: FINE
Well-restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original; also, an extremely well-maintained original showing very minimal wear.

NO. 3: VERY GOOD
Completely operable original or “older restoration” showing wear; also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored car with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts.

NO. 4: GOOD
A drivable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional; also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be “excellent,” but the car is mostly useable “as is.”

NO. 5: RESTORABLE
Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior; may or may not be running, but isn’t weathered, wrecked or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts.

NO. 6: PARTS CAR
May or may not be running, but is weathered, wrecked and/or stripped to the point of being useful primarily for parts.

Please look closely at the following pictures and if SERIOUSLY interested in possible purchase feel free to ask for additional detailed ones. As the tires are probably 20 years old, no tire kickers please. 

We'll begin with a walkaround

In its restored glory back some 20 years ago

Image%204_zpsyw9pbqqj.jpg

Image%202_zpsdr4uuozu.jpg

Image%203_zps83mimy1o.jpg

Image%202_zpsw2br3rqh.jpg

And Today

IMG_1709_zpsddwozvqz.jpg

IMG_1701_zpsczxoslu5.jpg

IMG_1531_zps6ox6ecte.jpg

IMG_1532_zpsvf9b9py1.jpg

IMG_1530_zpsmonbagbl.jpg

IMG_1529_zpsaauyvljj.jpg

IMG_1542_zpsbecv0tiv.jpg

IMG_1540_zpscjcbpdy4.jpg

IMG_1541_zpsvhaxpwr2.jpg

IMG_1539_zps0srtdlzx.jpg

IMG_1538_zpsheg3qkxr.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

IMG_1599_zpspf8qcufa.jpg

IMG_1636_zpsdt3q6jkj.jpg

IMG_1630_zpsqkpy1anu.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsbtwgicmj.jpg

IMG_1617_zpsxdlfhxsw.jpg

IMG_1621_zpsrkrfylxq.jpg

IMG_1619_zpseqbixyxo.jpg

IMG_1622_zps0vaege2k.jpg

IMG_1613_zps27hdfobv.jpg

IMG_1623_zpsx5xpjxhb.jpg

IMG_1610_zpssmfxxhf4.jpg

IMG_1608_zpsdtjcsslz.jpg

IMG_1596_zpszqt2pgva.jpg

IMG_1594_zps9ifxjq1e.jpg

IMG_1581_zpsluwvhvrr.jpg

Said to be the original spare, thoughts?

IMG_1582_zpsyqup6ndn.jpg

IMG_1581_zpsluwvhvrr.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_1548_zpsr19o8whu.jpg

IMG_1688_zpswkcu52ad.jpg

IMG_1566_zpst9epbmv4.jpg

IMG_1565_zpsl5lnirtb.jpg

IMG_1564_zpszhozwb8v.jpg

IMG_1550_zpsjxvtdkh1.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsyj5hsbee.jpg

IMG_1575_zps5a2wnmcr.jpg

IMG_1704_zpsavnrqmvy.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsvhog08jh.jpg

IMG_1574_zpsk53c8nvn.jpg

IMG_1552_zps1ng6mzww.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsltgdlwhh.jpg

IMG_1568_zpsedzfsxi7.jpg

IMG_1579_zpsbi05lli3.jpg

IMG_1705_zpscrnitafu.jpg

IMG_1556_zpshldmqqle.jpg

IMG_1555_zpssttoa8dt.jpg

IMG_1577_zps8nvll5bj.jpg

IMG_1562_zpsdee3a7wv.jpg

IMG_1685_zpsrolkcm2h.jpg

IMG_1554_zpskxdtzu3d.jpg

IMG_1557_zpsj6znmcof.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I jacked the car up and with a flashlight looked all over the frame and floors. I did not find any damage or rust holes in the frame or floor, it appears to be VERY solid.

IMG_1683_zpstjrfcghr.jpg

IMG_1682_zps7znjtk7i.jpg

IMG_1654_zpsj6bzkcar.jpg

IMG_1642_zpswbzmyq7j.jpg

IMG_1662_zpsgwreoyoq.jpg

IMG_1663_zpsv9k0zlry.jpg

391D06C7-B3C5-4B01-84D2-A7A1DEF77B82.jpeg

301E34C2-F117-44A1-A41D-58BAC841564A.jpeg

CFDCF789-0FBC-403F-BD4D-204AF6CA5DEA.jpeg

• Like 2

What a great looking car, like the last art-deco gangster ride.....  If'n I were a younger man.... oh wait that's Lamar's line.  🙂   Love the video walk around!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The spare block and head that comes with...

IMG_1522_zpsg63akf47.jpg

IMG_1521_zpsfyswr5x8.jpg

IMG_1523_zpspp6djfhk.jpg

IMG_1524_zps8ix0oeyr.jpg

2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

What a great looking car, like the last art-deco gangster ride.....  If'n I were a younger man.... oh wait that's Lamar's line.  🙂   Love the video walk around!

You need something to do after Buttecup. Have I ever lead you wrong?

• Haha 1

Folks as I am sure you can tell I have spent many hours readying this car for sell and to be able to represent it honestly and square. And several more in preparing this For Sale ad. My sincere hope is that someone here will see and appreciate the car for what it is and can purchase it. I will be carrying it to the Northeast Georgia Gear Jam, Car Show and Swap meet Friday.https://gearjamvintagedrags.com/  I have trailer several Buicks to this event for sell and never brought one back home. I have not felt good about any of those sells as I never knew what happened to the cars. I would love to see this car go to someone here or at least in the AACA arena. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

and the dual side  mount fenders @ $2,000.   I will post these separately but with the understanding that the buyer of the '38 has right of first refusal. 

IMG_1693_zpszdww5bgc.jpg

IMG_1695_zpsmztff5lq.jpg

IMG_1696_zpsbzpmhuql.jpg

IMG_1503_zpsnrqd2ymz.jpg

IMG_1500_zpsos0ncw4l.jpg

IMG_1502_zps2rdwplmf.jpg

IMG_1510_zpstx43vhjh.jpg

5A87699A-F661-4B75-9E36-D6D9A549196E.thumb.jpeg.b49143857a0b0495dde407cf08eb2697.jpeg

21DD5688-4215-4108-9F0F-08BCB4F36BB5.thumb.jpeg.980b0382aa503532d801b68bb40bd7bd.jpeg

• Like 1

Mr Earl, 

Please check your private messages. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well done.

Now, if I was looking to have a Georgia car to come down and visit, contracting with someone for storage and stewardship, this would be mighty tempting.

Is it an illusion with the grass, or is this a green car?  Sometimes I thought it was green, other times wondered if it’s black.

Edit: Paint code 517 is Van Gogh Green.  Cool

Edited by Thriller (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sale Pending

• Like 5

Excellent buy for someone.  Very sad to see cars like this sit out, but this one will have a happy ending.  Thank goodness it was in GA at least sitting out!

• Like 3

Looks like you got it just in time.  Another few years of elements and it would be a much bigger mess and maybe relegated to parts at that point. 

• Like 1

Heading to Texas. 

Thanks for the purchase and fun transaction @47buicknut 

4AA790D9-0272-48E5-A64E-D40BB00CE1B3.jpeg

• Like 1

2B7CC7E1-2521-4F7B-A97C-A9ADAAA98562.jpeg

• Like 2

2977CBA5-8442-4849-9EB6-3314D973988F.thumb.jpeg.8ff642be4577ff3db2ba2789d6fec456.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

His personal hauler winched it onto the trailer, left the winch cable attached then hooked a chain onto the rear axle and pulled the car up tight with the winch. I was wondering if that was all he was going to use when he then strapped the wheels down in this manner which I thought was neat and beats crawling under the car and strapping to axles

42614D92-4274-4323-93BE-2AAC41E2B699.jpeg.7697736f6c2e74a4f220d1b85f7ca82f.jpeg

• Like 1

He got a great deal on that car.  Man, what a beauty!

• Like 1

I can't believe you couldn't sell him those sidemount fenders!

😄 I tried, called him and told him there’s room on the flatbed and offered them to him CHEAP. He just said he doesn’t like side mounts 🤷‍♂️ 😄

27 minutes ago, lancemb said:

Man, what a beauty

I agree. I truly enjoyed having it around for the time that I did. 570531E4-0B6E-4F58-B83A-3FEE7FB2B556.thumb.jpeg.b879fb45f098abd0263ac3b931b2b1e0.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, MrEarl said:

His personal hauler winched it onto the trailer, left the winch cable attached then hooked a chain onto the rear axle and pulled the car up tight with the winch. I was wondering if that was all he was going to use when he then strapped the wheels down in this manner which I thought was neat and beats crawling under the car and strapping to axles

42614D92-4274-4323-93BE-2AAC41E2B699.jpeg.7697736f6c2e74a4f220d1b85f7ca82f.jpeg

Sidewalls can get scuffed so the professionals seem to have opted for this method here now.

buickplus 006.JPG

buickplus 008 (800x600).jpg