Just purchased serial # 900418 to go along with my identical serial 900419 convertible.

azreattacollector

I just purchased serial # 900418 to go along with my identical serial 900419 convertible. 418 (pictured in this post) has 29,000 miles and is red/tan/Saddle with red moldings and gold pinstripe. This car is one of four that were driven by an EV1 Exec, and was purchased by Ray Spoth, Buick's North America Marketing and Business Development manager in 1994. From there, it was sold to former Dallas, TX mayor Jack Evans, who then sold the car to Chuck Parry of Syracuse, NY in 1997. Chuck also owned my other identical 1991 convertible, serial 900419, around the same time. Chuck sold this car to a gentleman in 2017 who transported the car to Scottsdale, AZ, where it has been stored and driven less than 1,000 miles. I just purchased the car from that owner, and purchased 900419 from a different owner last year.

The thought of having two consecutive serial number '91 convertibles is alone astonishing, however, these two are especially special as they are identical twins, all the way down to the pinstripe and moldings. Looking forward to having "The Twins" out soon for the world to see!

1991-buick-reatta.jpeg

1991-buick-reatta (7).jpeg

Edited by azreattacollector (see edit history)
  • Like 4

very cool having two consecutive numbered cars,and in such great condition, and real interesting that they both traveled across the country to get to your garage!

(in good humor) i am trying to figure how do you choose which car to take somewhere the nice one the nicer one or the nicest one.

having a 91 red/tan vert myself 900336 i totally get the look, the combo just works so well 

i was wondering how you know so much of the history, was it just documentation that traveled with the cars?

i am asking because my window sticker shows my car was delivered to BMD show cars not a dealer and have been trying to find more info about where Buick may have displayed the car, and was wondering if you had a particular source

best of luck 

• Like 1

@MRJBUICK sounds like you have a great car ;) and according to the Reatta Database, yours looks like a nicely optioned car, as well!

It's funny you ask the question about which one to drive to shows and such, as I've actually been pondering that question myself! I just closed the deal on the lower mile 418 this week, so I haven't yet had a chance to have it out yet. As they are exact twins, I'm going to try my best to take them both to shows whenever I can...and that means I need to get to work finding some reliable, responsible drivers! Haha!

As far as documentation goes, I really didn't have much on 419 and 586, as I purchased them both from an estate. The previous owner, George Roberts, was a Buick dealer in Lapeer, Michigan, and my understanding was that he ordered the cars new through his dealership and transported them to Cave Creek, AZ, where he and his wife had a winter home. This story doesn't seem to add up now, though. When I found 418, I began to do some digging (due to the serial numbers being so close to one of my other cars) and found via the Reatta Database that both 418 and 419 were both owned by a gentleman in Syracuse, NY. 418 had Chuck Parry's name listed in the database, while 419 did not (but I can assume Chuck likely owned it as well). This blew the entire story on my original two cars to bits, as it was obvious that at least one of them was not owned by George Roberts since new. My best guess is that George purchased the car used, perhaps from Chuck Parry at some point. As far as 586 goes, my guess is that George might have purchased that car brand new (it only has 17,000 miles) and later tried to procure another identical car for himself or his wife so they would have a pair.

Lots of this information I've found just by digging and looking through the database. However, 418 is HIGHLY documented, much more than my other two cars. I have binders full of paperwork and actual written descriptions about the history of the car. Oddly, it's through this car that I've learned more about its twin, 419. I'll attach a summary write-up to this post that Chuck Parry wrote about the car during his ownership.

Best advice on your car...keep digging! You'll likely end up surprised at what you find, just as I have! :)

IMG_3522.jpg

Edited by azreattacollector (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, azreattacollector said:

I just purchased serial # 900418 to go along with my identical serial 900419 convertible.

I admire you for having the fortitude to invest your money in Buick Reattas. Most collectors have been reluctant to do that.  Looks like you have some really nice cars.   I hope your investment pays off.

• Like 1

Thanks Ronnie, I like the cars because they’re modern and drivable. Having a collection you can actually enjoy I think is really important. I’m drawn to cars with power everything, modern drivetrains and a nice ride - very different than my grandfather’s collection of the ‘30s-‘50s era. 

His cars sit most of their life while I’m not afraid to jump in mine and go to car shows, weekend cruises, etc. We’re lucky the Reatta offers us this opportunity while we hang onto them as investments. 

I have had multiple Reatta's in convertibles and coupes over the last 12 years and it amazes me how much more attention and respect the Reatta's are pulling now at a show even compared to a few years ago.  This statement of yours is spot on "Most people don’t remember them, but occasionally you’ll find someone who does and says it was their dream car at the time"

• Like 2

Very nice cars, Anthony!

I ended up with sequential polo green coupes. 1425 I bought in 2014 in Philadelphia PA. It was a parts car with 268,000 miles. 1426 I bought in 2018 in Abilene TX. That car I did up for this year's national meet. Even though they were sequential, one was a sunroof car with body color moldings, and the other was just a hard top with black. Both has standard seats and factory CD.

Come to think of it, I also had green coupe 1154 (wrecked parts car with 16 ways, body color moldings, and CD player) and 1153 (13k mile car with sunroof, body color mouldings, standard seats and no CD) here at the same time as well last year. 

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you, Marck! A consecutive pair of Polo Green coupes would be awesome, too. Seems like you’ve had your hands on A LOT of Reattas over the years. Wouldn’t it have been cool if they built a green convertible? I think it would have sold! I’ve always wanted a polo ‘93 Allante, just haven’t been able to find one in the condition and price I want. 

You could have had a green convertible, none where ordered though. It wasn’t that you couldn't Get it. Strange that none were ordered, you see the Allante’s in the combination come up fairly often.  I have often thought about buying a really nice convertible and doing a thorough color change to Polo