Need help w/ '56 door hinge

JohnD1956

While the door was open today, something sprung and now the door will not close.  It swings freely between 12 inches out to it's full open position, It just won't close in that last 12 inches.  Obviously something is broken and stuck in the hinge.  But the hinge is enclosed in the door jamb and I have never had one off.  It appears that there is a strap that is bolted to the door and that is then bolted to a sleeve from the hinge.  Does anyone know if that is true?  If so can I take that apart and remove the top hinge without removing the entire door?  There is minimal clearance to look into the top hinge and I cant see anything or feel anything with a long thin screwdriver that seems out of place or loose. but I can see that there is nothing holding it up in the bottom hinge.  

Hope someone has some experience and can send some guiudance

Thanks

John if it's like the small series car you will need to take the door panel off and then take the door off and you will see that there's a spring-like thing that holds the door in the open position and you just need to get that fixed:. Either remove the spring replace the spring or replace the hinge.

The door is held open by two rather heavy flat springs that bear against the arm of the hinge to hold the door open. They are rivited to the sides of the hinge box. Its not unusual for one or both to fracture. I,m guessing one of yours broke and a piece is restricting the hinge. You might be able to fish the piece out with a pick up tool type magnet. In any case your door likely will not now stay in the open position. Im not aware of anyone selling repro replacement springs and a hinge replacement is in order. If you do remove a hinge door removal is needed.

To remove a hinge........Remove door panel, unbolt hinge arms from door, Hinge box is held to door pillar by two phillip head screws and one bolt at rear of hinge box. Mark hinge arm position on door before removal. Be advised hinge box position has some adjustment on door pillar and will factor into door alignment......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks @old-tank and @Bhigdog for your responses.

Here is how far my door was stuck open.

1228221857_201971556steeringwheelanddoorhin(4).thumb.JPG.f7af3a99908adecb72b27eccfc1e451b.JPG

Turns out the door stopper is separate from the hinge and can be removed with two fasteners. Luckilly those and all my hinge "screws" all came free with out any problems.

571326172_doorstopper.thumb.jpg.078f87bf82ded3cd97374e08d6d5a6f9.jpg

I can see the pins that used to hold the flat spring washers.  the bottom pin is almost ground away.  The other was probably the one I heard break off.

287965484_201971556steeringwheelanddoorhin(5).thumb.JPG.733365c86fe5e097c38b6fd20037a632.JPG 

As mentioned, without the stopper the door pretty much has a mind of it's own.  But at least I got it closed and the car is still safe to drive.  And I'll have to search for a new hinge. 

5 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Thanks @old-tank and @Bhigdog for your responses.

Here is how far my door was stuck open.

1228221857_201971556steeringwheelanddoorhin(4).thumb.JPG.f7af3a99908adecb72b27eccfc1e451b.JPG

Turns out the door stopper is separate from the hinge and can be removed with two fasteners. Luckilly those and all my hinge "screws" all came free with out any problems.

571326172_doorstopper.thumb.jpg.078f87bf82ded3cd97374e08d6d5a6f9.jpg

I can see the pins that used to hold the flat spring washers.  the bottom pin is almost ground away.  The other was probably the one I heard break off.

287965484_201971556steeringwheelanddoorhin(5).thumb.JPG.733365c86fe5e097c38b6fd20037a632.JPG 

As mentioned, without the stopper the door pretty much has a mind of it's own.  But at least I got it closed and the car is still safe to drive.  And I'll have to search for a new hinge. 

If I don't have one i bet @MrEarl does!