1937hd45

King Pin & Shackle bolts for Brass era cars

Restoring a Model T Ford is easy, call up Don Lang and get whatever you need, not so with a 1911 Hupmobile. I'll need to replace worm king pins and shackle bolts. Poked around on eBay thinking there would be something close to start with, or is there a ready source for needed Brass Car hardware? Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Become friends with your local machine shop, that's why they are in business.

What sort of steel would you make a king pin out of?

I would imagine they need a very smooth surface, so they would be ground and polished to finish.

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

What sort of steel would you make a king pin out of?

I would imagine they need a very smooth surface, so they would be ground and polished to finish.

4140 is what I would use for the king pins.

Bolts are often weird to a particular make and both size and shape are often different than modern bolts. Often times you have to make what you need......time consuming and expensive. Or use store bought modern and grind off the marks. 

This is one of the "only the owner knows" deals, I could clean up and paint the old parts and nobody including the judges would know, but that slop in the steering would bother me forever. Bob 

I get them made from soft steel, then get them hardened. 

I expect the king pins were just a regular grade of steel originally . Case hardened and ground to finished OD.  Case hardening was a very popular treatment 100 years ago.

Ed's suggestion of substituting a modern alloy steel like 4140 should work fine as well.  Have you done this in the past Ed ? Did you heat treat the 4140 post rough machine and grind to  final size ? Or just use it as is ?

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

NAPA was out of them?  🤷‍♂️  You would think they would carry a better stock of parts for 108-year old cars. I would complain! 

We use 4140 and grind them. Most of the time we upgrade to modern bearings in the spindles so it isn’t necessary to harden them. Sometimes we use Smith & Wesson to do our heat treating. Since most of what we do is rare and obscure we do each car on a case by case basis. 

Call me I have 150 new shackle bolts from the teens and 20s    how long. dia . fax  8604890614 with print  call 8608060448 john