Check out this funny obvious scam

KevinVal

Hudson River Valley?

Maybe the West Shore (Coast?) of the Hudson River?

Roadsalt Central?

• Haha 1

Well, everyone in Texas who has their car stored this month, to keep it from being cooked in the sun, can see how the other half lives. Looks like an honest ad to me.

Anyone calling that upstate New York needs to click the ad minus sign EIGHT times to get their bearings.

Yesterday my wife and I took a ride out to where you can see Toronto.

Toronto.thumb.jpg.7c904e0f48cabc9e4c315a48a80dacb6.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misterc9 said:

That Olds is in pretty good shape rustwise for upstate New York.

I consider "upstate" New York anything north of

the New York Thruway.  Suffern is a town nearly

as far south as you can go in that state.  I'd say

99.9% of the state's land is farther north than Suffern.

So, I guess Key West and Miami are in upstate Florida!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So, I guess Key West and Miami are in upstate Florida!

Well, no, actually.  Everything is upstate from Key West, so Miami is upstate from Key West, and Key West is the "bottom" of the State ... or sumthin'.  But Miami is downstate from upstate YeeHaw Junction which is downstate from Paisley, so ...

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Looks like a "rustfree" eastern car to me!

If it was rusty, you could bounce basketballs through the quarters......😁

Yes, the trunk lid has issues, not rustfree in my book, but for an eastern car, looks good! 

It is a driver car, not a restoration car.👍

• Like 2

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Remember anything north of the Island and City is considered Upstate. 

Actually to get this straight north of the Bronx is considered upstate. (ha ha)

When my my Grandfather went grocery shopping in an A&P in Yonkers he used to say with his thick Irish brogue "he was driving upstate", it was 6 miles away from his apartment.

Some of the most solid rust free cars were NYC cars. If stored inside, with mass transit, tolls traffic and difficult parking, limited their use. Just used for pleasure use when the weather was good. One of my cars was stored in a rented garage that the owner had to take a bus to get to, needless to say it came out once a month.  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 48Firetruck said:

In Northeast Ohio anything 10 years old or older that doesn't have holes big enough to throw a cat through is considered rust free...

If the salt doesn't destroy them, the potholes will!

Sounds like NYC! 

Looks to me that the car is no better or worse then many cars that I've seen come out of California, and touted as rust free. It certainly beats the hell out of some of the rusty eastern cars that have been restored. There certainly would be less surprises for a restorer. I would look at the car as if it were a good California core, for which the shipping has already been paid, and the travel insurance, not an issue.

3 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Looks to me that the car is no better or worse then many cars that I've seen come out of California, and touted as rust free. It certainly beats the hell out of some of the rusty eastern cars that have been restored. There certainly would be less surprises for a restorer. I would look at the car as if it were a good California core, for which the shipping has already been paid, and the travel insurance, not an issue.

I agree, I don't know how the OP thinks it is a scam, appears to be honest photos. That car is pretty solid for anywhere . It is far from perfect but is much further from being a rot box

• Like 1

I don't think that's a scam, but it does illustrate the difference between "rust" and "rot."

Most new and inexperienced hobbyists and quite a few older ones will think of "rust" as any oxidation on any surface. I have had dozens of people reject cars I'm selling because they spot "rust" on the undercarriage like this:

20190617_130640a.thumb.jpg.a28366de293a5733d66e283fb5718d02.jpg

Well, technically, yes, that's rust. There is iron oxide clinging to metal parts. I guess I won't deny that it's "rusty." You got me.

But to an experienced hobbyist, there are different kinds of "rust" and the stuff that is just on the surface or on heavy metal parts like the driveshaft, suspension, rear axle, or springs, well, that doesn't really count. Even surface rust on floor pans isn't an issue until it becomes rot, or perforation, which means all the metal is gone and the structure might be compromised. But the presence of surface rust does not suggest anything of the sort. Rust under carpets is the same thing--moisture gets trapped under there, but it doesn't necessarily mean the car has been neglected, abused, or otherwise mistreated to the point where metal parts are compromised and require replacement. Surface scale isn't the same as deep-seated corrosion.

This inexperience is why I never say "rust free" on any of my ads, but a car like the one in my photo above is about as close as you're going to get to "rust free" on a 55-year-old vehicle in the real world. Call me out for being a scammer, but there's a definite difference between "rust" and "rot" with only one of those things being something you should worry about.

• Like 2

I had one car like Matt's photo, came from New Hampshire. Almost didn't buy but was odd. I spent three days with it up in the air with a wire brush, emery cloth, rustolium, and goggles getting it clean and was a driver and not s how car. Have sold cars before with pictures of the underside that had never left central Florida.

What I look for is rust in a seam that is pushing it apart.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)