Need help identifying my motor

The number above the water pump shows this to be an Olds 455 block from the 1968-1974 model years. The exact model year it was used will appear in the VIN derivative stamp located on the LH side of the block near the front. The second character of the VIN derivative is the model year. See the attached photos. The "E" casting heads are from the 1970 model year only, used on every 455 that Olds built that year except the W30 motors.

Head_ID.jpgolds_engine_id_pad.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Josephabercrombie said:

One more question, I have a 455 why do I have a 350T transmission?

This is on a 1981 Delta 88 oldsmobile 

Because you have a 1968-1974 motor that someone installed in a 1981 car.  The last year of 455 production was 1976. Obviously that motor was not original to that car.

And "Rocket" is a name made up by the Oldsmobile marketing department. It means nothing. All Olds motors were "rockets".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

The number above the water pump shows this to be an Olds 455 block from the 1968-1974 model years. The exact model year it was used will appear in the VIN derivative stamp located on the LH side of the block near the front. The second character of the VIN derivative is the model year. See the attached photos. The "E" casting heads are from the 1970 model year only, used on every 455 that Olds built that year except the W30 motors.

Head_ID.jpgolds_engine_id_pad.jpg

30M366934

This is the number I have

1 hour ago, Josephabercrombie said:

30M366934

This is the number I have

The "0" in the second position indicates a 1970 model year motor. The "M" indicates the car it came in was built in the Lansing, MI assembly plant. 366394 is just the sequence build number of the car that it originally came in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All real Oldsmobile V-8 engines were Rockets. Not all Oldsmobiles had Rocket engines in them. G.M. lost a huge lawsuit in the middle 70's because Oldsmobile was installing small block Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and calling them Rocket Olds engines

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 12:44 PM, Pfeil said:

All real Oldsmobile V-8 engines were Rockets. Not all Oldsmobiles had Rocket engines in them. G.M. lost a huge lawsuit in the middle 70's because Oldsmobile was installing small block Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and calling them Rocket Olds engines

part of the solution was to list them as corporate engines you would get an olds 307 yet it was listed as 305 even in a buick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 54vicky said:

part of the solution was to list them as corporate engines you would get an olds 307 yet it was listed as 305 even in a buick

Uh, no. It was listed as a 5.0 liter engine. 307 cu in = 5.030 liters, 305 cu in = 4.998 liters. The 307 Olds was called a 307 and not to be confused with the 305 (despite the fact that many people do).

Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, and even Chevy used the 307 Olds motor in the second half of the 1980s. I have a 1986 Caprice wagon with a factory installed Olds 307. The VIN proves this thanks to the engine code.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Uh, no. It was listed as a 5.0 liter engine. 307 cu in = 5.030 liters, 305 cu in = 4.998 liters. The 307 Olds was called a 307 and not to be confused with the 305 (despite the fact that many people do).

And not to be confused with a Chevrolet 307 either (though it was out of production by that time)..

Joe has it right. As I recall the Olds 307 engine said 307 right on the smog sticker, in addition to 5.0 liters, no matter what it was in. The public may have been confused, but those of us working on them were not.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, padgett said:

Would have come with a single quadrajet.

^^^THIS. On a "stock 455", the "best" carb will be the one that the factory calibrated for it. You, unfortunately, have a unique situation. Since that motor is not in it's original application, you have to consider the different trans, different rear end gears, and potentially different connections (like the kickdown cable for your TH350). A 1970 455 would have been mated to a TH400 that uses an electric kickdown; your TH350 uses a cable kickdown that likely connects to a fitting on the carb throttle arm. You would need to replicate that connection and lever ratio on whatever carb you use to get the trans to operate correctly.

• Like 1

So this is a former diesel car that was converted to a gasoline engine when the DX motor crapped out? That makes the whole linkage issue even more complex. Obviously whoever did that swap cobbled together linkages based on the diesel throttle control and adapted it to the carb.

• Like 1