Worlds most expensive car mascot?

Terry Bond

I guess I'm just not a serious mascot collector.  This has to be the most expensive one I've ever seen. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art-Deco-Egyptienne-Ailee-M-Bonnot-Car-Mascot-Hood-Ornament-1920s/273881282028?hash=item3fc498b5ec:g:PBwAAOSwkIJcoq3G

Terry

I reprinted an article from around 1909 in our region's

newsletter.  From the writer's first-hand account--she was

an early female driver--I gather that some people considered

"mascots" as good-luck companions in the days when cars

weren't always reliable.  When she was stopped by the side

of the road, someone yelled to her, "Get a mascot!"

This was in the days before most cars had beautiful hood

ornaments.  People affixed their own mascots to their cars

at the time, often purchasing them from some after-market

company.  Mascots often expressed the car owner's own

interests or personality.

She made her own mascot and attached it to the car.

Though not shown in the picture below, it was a store-bought

doll with a home-made "duster" costume and goggles!

Lady of the Car 1 edited.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

I guess I'm just not a serious mascot collector.  This has to be the most expensive one I've ever seen. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art-Deco-Egyptienne-Ailee-M-Bonnot-Car-Mascot-Hood-Ornament-1920s/273881282028?hash=item3fc498b5ec:g:PBwAAOSwkIJcoq3G

Terry

Terry I know you are also interested in car lamps. Even though it is not a set as the price reflects that I can bring it to Hershey for you. Not too far out of my way to pick it up. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2974374665936743/

Yup, like PT Barnum once said........

For real though, I believe the entire Chesney collection of Lalique mascots sold for just over $800k as a sngle lot several years ago at the RM Auction at Amelia Island.  That sale price was considered much lower than it should have brought if they had been sold individually.   That included what is considered the rarest Lalique, an amber colored fox.   So, there is value in rare mascots, however the piece of crap Egyptian winged something in the ebay listing is nowhere near that category. 

Terry

• Like 1

The Model T Lamp is priced at $1,234,567 or "best offer". I'll bet it could be bought for an even $1,000,000.

I think both of these were said to be found in King Tut's tomb so they might be worth the price. 

Don

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Yup, like PT Barnum once said........

For real though, I believe the entire Chesney collection of Lalique mascots sold for just over $800k as a sngle lot several years ago at the RM Auction at Amelia Island.  That sale price was considered much lower than it should have brought if they had been sold individually.   That included what is considered the rarest Lalique, an amber colored fox.   So, there is value in rare mascots, however the piece of crap Egyptian winged something in the ebay listing is nowhere near that category. 

Terry

She told me about her Laliques once. There's was only one collection that had a greater span of Laliques designs, and that is The Queen's, because they had some one-off pieces made for the royal family. She said it was good she sold them when she did, because her house got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy and the whole lot would have gone out to sea if it had been there.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

23 hours ago, DLynskey said:

The Model T Lamp is priced at $1,234,567 or "best offer". I'll bet it could be bought for an even $1,000,000.

I think both of these were said to be found in King Tut's tomb so they might be worth the price. 

Don

That light on the best of days at Hershey MAY get you $45.00 in the condition it is in. Seller must be a clueless helpless with tools type that has never seen a counter sunk dome headed slotted screw. Bob 

23 hours ago, jeff_a said:

There's was only one collection that had a greater span of Laliques designs, and that is The Queen's, because they had some one-off pieces made for the royal family. 

That sounds like an interesting article for some

enterprising car-club editor---