Sign in to follow this  
MoparMadnz

1950 Buick Backup Light Stuck On

Hi, new owner of a 1950 Buick here. The battery keeps going dead lately and I just noticed the driver side backup light and driver side front turn signal light are stuck on, even with the ignition turned off. I tried playing around with the different switches, and pressing the high beam switch turned them off briefly - but the lights came back on the next time I started the car. Also, the driver side blinker isn't working, but the passenger side is.  Anyone have a clue what the culprit might be? Thanks

IMG_8186.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

That is the signal light.   Backup light is in the bumper.    Try replacing the "blinker " unit. It is in the fuse panel just beneath the dash on the left side of the steering column.

Ben

• Thanks 1

1939, I will re-post in that section. I think I do have a file of the wiring diagram on my computer. Ben, you're right. I meant to type "signal light" - thank you.

You have a short in your wiring.  Those are slow going to find, but you can do it.  You will need a complete factory wiring diagram.  Trace it to see what is common to both lights, but not to the lights on the right side.  Take a test light and start looking for what is hot and what is not.  

Good luck on this.  It's very frustrating but is most likely a simple bare wire grounding on something.  BTW the headlight switch has power to it even if the switch is off, so that is an obvious place to start.

My gut tells me to look at he turn signal switch, or possibly wiring there of. (steering column)

On my ‘51, the backup light switch got sticky and would fail to release when the transmission from reverse, so the lamps would stay on. I suppose age and lack of regular driving were the cause.