Auburn for sale

This is the kind of car that drives me crazy.  

I could put a top on it, and make a boot, for less than $1500 in materials.

If I were a younger man (W. C. Fields uncle, a reference few will get) I'd be buying such cars and do the work, have a showroom to sell.

Nice car...

This is the kind of car that drives me crazy.  

I could put a top on it, and make a boot, for less than $1500 in materials.

If I were a younger man (W. C. Fields uncle, a reference few will get) I'd be buying such cars and do the work, have a showroom to sell.

Nice car...

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I was avoiding ebay and may only run it on there as a classified ad as last resort. 

It's a slightly less tough market than the A's as there are alot of them for sale right now. 

I really want to sell it to someone that can look at it in person if at all possible.  I want them to be happy with what they are buying. 

I stuck it on the barter section of craigslist and had a couple of inquiries.  One proposed a trade for a 69 Olds 442 Convertible.   It's a decent car.  Then again mine isn't perfect either,  but I'm not much of a Muscel Car guy so it really doesn't do anything for me.  He's also asking 7500 more than I am. 

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/milton-1969-olds-442-convertible-4-spd/6928770658.html

He needs paperwork and ownership history for the 442 and then I would be interested.   Paperwork is 1/2 the value of high end musclecar.  That car sells in a fairly broad market.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I've seen a pretty nice hardtop in the same color combo here in town for sale for a few years now.  I think he is in the mid 20's and it's not moving.  That makes me wonder if they are really selling or just over hyped. 

4 speed + Convertible in a 442 is a big deal.   The green won't be for everyone and the numbers (block, heads, tranny, rear end) as well as paperwork are important.

An automatic coupe is a dime a dozen.

Funny, I like green on a lot of prewar stuff but on this, well....

Had a 68 Cutlass S convert.  One of the few cars I actually made money on even after consigning with Tom L and paying the fee....  I think they are sharp lookers...

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

He needs paperwork and ownership history for the 442 and then I would be interested.   Paperwork is 1/2 the value of high end musclecar.  That car sells in a fairly broad market.

I forbid you to buy any post war cars........say it again and I will call your wife!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I recall an Auburn phaeton out west which is VERY similar to this one (the color has changed) It was running an Oldsmobile engine and trans thru the original dual-ratio diff. There is a reason why the hood is closed. 

9 minutes ago, Curti said:

I recall an Auburn phaeton out west which is VERY similar to this one (the color has changed) It was running an Oldsmobile engine and trans thru the original dual-ratio diff. There is a reason why the hood is closed. 

Remember the speedster that Johnny Pascucci had about 15 years ago with the Olds engine in it?   I think he wanted 250k which at the time felt like a lot of money.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I forbid you to buy any poet war cars........say it again and I will call your wife!

Believe me most Muscle cars excite me just a tad more than a Prius.   There are a few exceptions.  Maybe a 67-68 Firebird 400 convertible (I remember one a guy had when I was a kid). Not sure why I kind of like them,  and maybe a few others,  a 63 Grand Prix.

My greatest interest is in immediate post war and of course pre war cars.    A few 50's cars slip in there as well.  But never seems anyone has what I like.  Today's offer definitely gets the red buzzer.  In my least favorite color even.  2 strikes. 

Ideal trades would be something prewar and that list of interest is pretty big and goes back to the 20's,  maybe even the teens as I find my interest in cars maturing.

I have a list of later cars.

If you are talking even, maybe a

61 Olds Convt.

Might consider a 60 Buick Conv't

Actually for some reason I find a few 60'-61 Conv'ts interesting in the GM lineup.  Maybe some hardtops as well depending on numbers and cash incentive offered. 

Old trucks of all types but a Diamond T or Studebaker Coupe Express could walk right in. 

A 62 Chrysler Conv't or hardtop. 

I would take a Dodge Wayfarer roadster as partial trade. Actually most early 50's -late 40's conv'ts would definitely get a look.  Actually anything in ragtop pre 61 gets a look. 

I could probably name 100 cars that would garner a strong Consideration. Especially on partial trade scenario as many I like fall in the under 20 grand range.  

63 Galaxie, Depending on condition a 57-58 Ranchero or 59-60 Elcamino.  Some early Buick Wildcats, 

Lots of cars for various reasons.  I'm not even against some say 63-65 AMC products but they need to be real nice and a 2 door hardtop conv't or Wagon.  Oh yeah wagons rate high on the list as well so if it's got a long roof say 65 and earlier it gets a look. 

Kind of goes for alot of cars.  If it's a super clean original survivor from the early to mid 60's I would take a look though in 4 door form I would need a nice pile of cash as well. 

You would think la trade would be pretty easy to find. 

One later model thing i would consider is a Saturn Sky Redline.  Not sure but again,  those are trending at 10G for a pretty nice car.  

Unfortunately not much made after 70 even raises an eyebrow in my realm of interest.  Nothing wrong with some of those cars,  they just don't interest me enough to want to walk out to the garage and look at. 

If it doesn't make me smile when I look at it,  I don't really want to own it. 

thumbnail.jpeg

Quite a few cars post 1970 interest me. But very few are North American. Small back window 2nd. gen Z28's, TA's. 4 speeds of course. Even the 71-73 Mustangs as long as a Mach 1, 4 speed , Boss 351 etc. And a few others , but things do thin out rapidly. 

Most of the cars you mention also appeal to me. But the gas company's in Western Canada are holding us  for ransom. If it doesn't get at least 30 MPG, I can't afford to live with it.

Lots of non North American cars stayed interesting long past 1970, but that is an aside to this forum.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Curt, I was referring to AJ saying he was willing to buy the Olds 442...............I have been trying to restrict his collection to interesting pre war stuff..............so I can borrow them when I am in town.......as he tends to buy interesting things. I was aware that the Auburn 6 was not a CCCA listed car.............but they are very nice cars, and offer a great value into a running car for the ACD events and club.👍

I caught a 1 line meeting minute note in CCCA Bulletin speaking of researching the making of Packard 120 cars CCCA classics - My guess is the volume matched to such as the ease of driving, the Club being in the red for a couple years now, and ....  Personally, I have no problem with it, but I would basically start a club within the club with its own publication, tours, meets, and .... -and the reason why I say this is there is no reason for it as a Packard 120 alone as they are no more a higher quality car (worked on plenty) than an Auburn 6, Franklin Olymics, the LaSalle's not accepted, many of the rejected Chrysler cars, and .... (ie if you take the Packard in and leave all the rest of the comparable cars out it will cause too much of a "division" (there is a Packard club that covers all Packards made). 

The note  was either two or three bulletins back (not the most recent) 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I caught a 1 line meeting minute note in CCCA Bulletin speaking of researching the making of Packard 120 cars CCCA classics - My guess is the volume matched to such as the ease of driving, the Club being in the red for a couple years now, and ....  Personally, I have no problem with it, but I would basically start a club within the club with its own publication, tours, meets, and .... -and the reason why I say this is there is no reason for it as a Packard 120 alone as they are no more a higher quality car (worked on plenty) than an Auburn 6, Franklin Olymics, the LaSalle's not accepted, many of the rejected Chrysler cars, and .... (ie if you take the Packard in and leave all the rest of the comparable cars out it will cause too much of a "division" (there is a Packard club that covers all Packards made). 

You neglected to note that 120s are probably far more plentiful than those other cars and many are already in the collections of current CCCA members who want them to be worth more money when they are awarded Full Classic status.

I stayed for the Town & Country.

I said, "I don't agree, but I get it," when they went back to 1915.

I will hit the eject button when they add the Packard 120.

• Like 1

The 120 is no more a Classic in the spirit of the club than the 442 we are talking about.   A great car, with a strong following but it is not what the CCCA is supposed to be about.   But, I'm torn because they are obviously struggling to keep the club going.     10 years ago I was about as militant as you could be about keeping the club pure.   These days I'm a little more open minded.

Btw Ed,   this is a dead ringer for my HS car and checks all the boxes.   You need to talk me out of it.

https://www.daniellmotors.com/1969-Pontiac-GTO/Used-ClassicCar/Hattiesburg-MS/8782323/Details.aspx

image.png.b19f6143ecd69a643bfc4ad5ec5365ed.png

They are nice and I wouldn't walk away from one if the deal was right,  but boy the 31-33 Styling in a convertible sedan is about as close as a poor man can come to a Duesenberg.   I love looking at the Convt' sedan from every angle.   Maybe someday even the Driver's seat. 

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

The 120 is no more a Classic in the spirit of the club than the 442 we are talking about.   A great car, with a strong following but it is not what the CCCA is supposed to be about.   But, I'm torn because they are obviously struggling to keep the club going.     10 years ago I was about as militant as you could be about keeping the club pure.   These days I'm a little more open minded.

Btw Ed,   this is a dead ringer for my HS car and checks all the boxes.   You need to talk me out of it.

https://www.daniellmotors.com/1969-Pontiac-GTO/Used-ClassicCar/Hattiesburg-MS/8782323/Details.aspx

image.png.b19f6143ecd69a643bfc4ad5ec5365ed.png

If you buy that post war production tXxxh, I’m going to tell you wife all about you Pebble Beach escapades......while she stays home and minds the farm and the children. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:49 PM, auburnseeker said:

It is actually a pretty decent car too and I would say priced fairly too (a decent cabriolet rarely if ever comes up in this price range)

The interior upholstery(incl rumble seat)  is a major fail as to pattern - this is not a Cord  (but clean and usable for a while),  

Should have armrests on doors

Incorrect interior door handle orientation (the door handles should point up)

Top (which can be found in separate link)  has wrong rear window (should be chrome framed), but overall decent (wrinkled is fine as nature of the beast)

Also, cannot see from the pictures if car has the fancy chrome plated cover over the top's front wooden header bow (great for cleaning bugs off of). 

The radio face plate for the delete goes behind the dash not on the front side - possibly covering over some alternative radio arrangement over the years

Incorrect running board stainless moldings

Spare tire cover is missing 

Taillight bases look painted black and they should be maroon (same color as car) and light itself shoul be painted too and not chromed (but chrome looks nice) 

Headlight bases look black and they should be maroon (same color as car) 

Model A Ford rumble seat grab straps

Incorrect chrome rumbleseat steps - they should be painted

Incorrect rear bumper center bolt

Acorn nuts on the windshield side posts are not correct

Firewall looks to need a bunch of holes corrected and has finish paint quality issue(s)

Startix should be silver cad plated 

Wrong radiator cap (AND RIGHT NOW THEY ARE UNOBTAINIUM, but some ok enough substitutes out there).

And, I could go on and on about the engine detailing and some of misc. hardware and ..., but it is mostly fairly easily  fixable things over a few evenings 

No rear spring covers

Some rust on rear floor board retainer (not uncommon on an cabriolet, but someone should have fixed when interior was out of it) and overall grungy underneath.

Runningboards are surprisingly nice in the sheet metal department.

Transmission not well detailed - someone may not have "been there" and should be black too (not silver)

Also, incorrect taillight lenses - the glass lens should say Auburn in it. 

By the way, this car still sports a honneycomb radiator with original tags on it - the radiator is an open system and filler neck arrangement makes it hard to look into, so not uncommon to overfill and then  with running it will overflow. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Wrong radiator cap (AND RIGHT NOW THEY ARE UNOBTAINIUM, but some ok enough substitutes out there).

I think I have a correct NOS one in a box of parts for my Cord.  I think I will keep it then when I sell the Cord just to be sure i have one.  Thanks for the tip. 

16 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I think I have a correct NOS one in a box of parts for my Cord.  I think I will keep it then when I sell the Cord just to be sure i have one.  Thanks for the tip. 

You can always shoot me a picture and happy to ID it for you (Auburn caps are the same as a Cord) - quest for having perfect Cords and open Auburns pretty much cleaned out the supply. 

On 7/19/2019 at 4:33 PM, alsancle said:

The 35/36 cars are awesome. You should consider one.

I've never driven one, but they sure are purty to look at. I love the exterior of the '31-'33s, too, although the interior seems bland.

8 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I've never driven one, but they sure are purty to look at. I love the exterior of the '31-'33s, too, although the interior seems bland.

1934-1936 Auburns are really good drivers, but you have to spend some time with them (balanced wheels, straight/true wheels, aligned axles, good king pins, suspension bushings, rebuilt steering boxes, and ... - I would say probably one of the more fine cars pre 1953 or so).   A very different feel from a Packard or Cadillac as Auburn cars were much less expensive and as a result  lighter, but the lightness is what makes them handle so well.  I have ways heard a well sorted Cord is probably the finest cars to drive (only problem is what it takes to sort one). 

Also to plain verses fancy you have to keep in mind the period of time  - often modern is considered plain and old is considered fancy/fussy. 

• Like 1