Auburn for sale

Saw this on Facebook. Not mine. I know Auburns get discussed here a lot, so have at it & pick away. I don't give a crap what you say about it - it ain't mine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/112851948728196/?notif_t=group_highlights&multi_permalinks=2810294085742173&gid=140885462683062&ref=notif&fb_dtsg_ag=AQz7njorlo0Sqda23uezXuC55H1IAPKQe-pcTHGknH2fPA%3AAQwSvo_fqF_CeO0wGfLX4wJ2823yztEsc3CMOCA4iGGjmQ&jazoest=27864

1935 Auburn 851 Phaeton
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
$79,000

1935 Auburn Model 851 Roadster. This car is stunning, it has had a frame off restoration and is in excellent condition. The book on this car is $120,000. Car needs convertible top installed but top bows are restored. Price is $79,000. Serious inquiries only please. Call 204-6179 in the 413 area code. Thanks.

Two questions:

1.  Being from Mass I'm interested in where Feed Hills is?

2.  What is an Auburn Roadster?

If it is a non blown convertible coupe that is truly frame off with the correct parts,  it might not be a bad deal.   But restorations seldom live up to the description of the sellers.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Two questions:

1.  Being from Mass I'm interested in where Feed Hills is?

2.  What is an Auburn Roadster?

If it is a non blown convertible coupe that is truly frame off with the correct parts,  it might not be a bad deal.   But restorations seldom live up to the description of the sellers.

Two answers:

Answer to #1 question: How the hell should I know. I'm not from Mass. & it's not my car.

Answer to #2 question: How the hell should I know. I'm not from Mass. & it's not my car.😁

• Like 3

The ad reads it's a phaeton if you get into it.  Whether it's 100 percent correct it looks very nice underneath.  The dash looks quite nice as well. Too bad they didn't want a 36 Cord phaeton. 

I have found Facebook marketplace leaves a bit to be desired in the way it's executed.  Too bad craigslist is charging now for ads,  as it seems to have driven people away to facebook,  which needed a little more competition so they would have to improve the marketplace more before it became the new big game in town. Unfortunately not quite worth trading both my Ford and Cord for this Auburn, or maybe it is.  I think the person selling it is a dealer,  so it looks like something they are flipping or brokering. 

1935 Auburn 851 Phaeton
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
$79,000
1935 Auburn Model 851 Roadster. This car is stunning, it has had a frame off restoration and is in excellent condition. The book on this car is $120,000. Car needs convertible top installed but top bows are restored. Price is $79,000. Serious inquiries only please. Call 204-6179 in the 413 area code. Thanks.

67167546_2581892238497331_609986579821232128_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQmlivOB1H728eqaoOo1bpSsEPxQBv4yJy4hjYTFWTRXLg_npazd_kg2Hpm1y8MJzt8&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=9c95451638d845f34e8b46e32bee480a&oe=5DBB976B

• Like 2

We have a couple of experts in Curt and John on the forum. I would be interested in their opinion on the market for these cars.   If it was finished I think it would be a bargain, but sometimes the last 10% of a restoration is as expensive as the first 90.

btw,  the two tone isn’t helping me get excited.

• Like 1

I actually don't mind the two tone but usually the darker color is the accent and the lighter is the main body color though I don't think I would want the whole car red with a maroon accents.  I have seen many other hideous combinations and it isn't white or tan so that's a start. 

Problem with finishing up the Cord,  is the only thing I have really started on it,  was the parts collection phase.  Tons of dollars time and frustration until I get to this phase.  

Oh I forgot to mention I have a huge garage project that will definitely take precedence over the Cord,  both financially and in man hours.  

I should offer the guy just to see how long it takes him to reject the deal. 

I would be curious what an Auburn "expert "  thought of it.  Things look pretty correct to the untrained eye, except maybe the Upholstery. 

Of Course maybe none have chimed in,  because they are ,making arrangements for it to be shipped right now. 

Enough time to get the top on it and get it to Auburn for the meet and make a few bucks ,  if it's really all that. 

49 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

If you mean the Ford and the Cord, I would think that combo is worth a little more than Auburn's asking price?

I think they as well may be more than the asking price,  but the asking price does seem a little low when compared to a 6 cylinder car that also just got put on the market, then there is the factor that for a trade to work,  I always seem to need to be on the low end of value of my cars.  I've only been able to trade one car,  late model or antique and in the end,  I don't think I really came out ahead.  I always got frustrated with trying to trade things in as mine were actually in better shape than what I was trading for but what I was trading for,  fit my needs better.  I remember once going to look at a Dually on a lot with low miles and 4 blade tires in the back.  I told the dealer I was interested but it needed 4 new tires,  they were well past the wear indicators and had maybe 1/32 tread left, but they told me,  nope they were good to go.  Not sure who does their state inspections but there was no doubt they would fail inspection. So I walked away.  Of course mine had 4 new tires on the back.  Theirs was 4 wheel drive though and mine was 2 so I was trying to trade mine in on it plus my cash to make up the difference.  Mind you mine needed no detailing as it glowed in the dark inside and out and theirs ,  well wasn't very well detailed to say the least.  

I had a chance to trade the 40 for a 32 Roadster this weekend.  The guy drove it up.  It was nice and attractively finished but it was a glass car so I was reluctant.  Alot of glass 32 Ford's for sale.  Tough market to sell in. Even tougher than steel 40 Ford coupes. 

I'm not sure how all these other guys that trade in always make out so well,  unless they are just looking at payment or something and not doing the long form on the math. 

Anyways,  I'll let you all know if I get a response. 

66434683_2581892048497350_1959843076662886400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQmzBOIvU-SkFA0y5ZUSERs3mHpttOZBsAc0TjLU6_1bI_R4TB3rZ1oNAoXzrdLWNcQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=c651d7c69ca05d4b3bc99706cbe0d3b5&oe=5DEC95E766506999_2581892168497338_8909084420535746560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQl-rpdGm1_c-Lwa3bJg0mTcRPUKon3UAgQRwhFJOncXc0ghklB5fAYZyNHRSylNjn8&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=bc2dc77936be4ab95fcc086858c59b80&oe=5DBB433966494908_2581892275163994_3998047664137568256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlfCGTG0A0GESVuw5Mw1yFfGLcy4n3A2nPybF-43Z5gY7PdcDf5yfEY_95ykUzJFLg&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=f0bb2e26988a76ce9337eb9e7e144a1b&oe=5DAD34BF66419022_2581892205164001_9210774339429859328_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQk7xZ6MQDytf0sLDCFDx_Jt_v14A9vK-7DE_xy4u1lddR9rHMERHItlrR3lxwQsueA&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=8b4e013a3bad167095811610e523e42a&oe=5DAE30C4

I counted 11 pictures of it on FB. I just copied and pasted some here, so people don't have to go to the link, and apparently for some the link doesn't work anyway.

There are no engine pictures provided; that's why I didn't copy and paste one.

I haven't heard back from the seller.  The only thing I will say is the photos leave a little to be desired.  It would have ben nice if they moved it away from the bus and got back and took a bunch of good photos then as mentioned one under the hood would have been nice.  

I also noticed the top wasn't on it,  but figured since there wasn't any canvas on it,  it wouldn't do you much good to put it on until you had the material put on it. Might even damage the boot area if you don't have the material on it and finish on the bows.  

Looks pretty correct to me.  Any thoughts on that?  

I wish I had cash to look at one,  I might take a spin down to look at it.  I think it's about 3 or so hours away. 

I always pay close attention the the location and backgrounds of car advertisement pictures. It can be very telling. I was noticing the bus, "Hey! Don't swing the door of our treasured Auburn into the bus!"

Heavy construction equipment seems the most common background for the uninformed seller. Those are easy places for Dad or Gramps to fund those long term projects.

I think the car looks good, price is in the range of a new Tahoe. Buy the car for cash, lease a Tahoe.

Bernie

Guilty as charged -- my '35, which I restored in 1994-1996 and painted red on my wife's request. When I first took it to the ACD Meet back in 1997, I was afraid red would be too common a color, but I counted only a couple of other Auburns in red on the field. I haven't paid much attention since. 

35 Auburn.JPG

4 hours ago, jrbartlett said:

Guilty as charged -- my '35, which I restored in 1994-1996 and painted red on my wife's request. When I first took it to the ACD Meet back in 1997, I was afraid red would be too common a color, but I counted only a couple of other Auburns in red on the field. I haven't paid much attention since.

Better paint scheme than the subject car of this thread.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Still no reply.  Would be nice if the guy just told me to Go to hell or something.  I guess he doesn't want to talk a trade he could make money on.  Oh well.  I really want a 31-33 anyways.  

Hold out for what you want.

I will.  Unfortunately I think the two best deals for what I want already passed me by.  We'll see with all the old timers passing on the market will be flooded and I will buy one for chump change, right?   That's what they have been telling me for the last 20 years.  Unfortunately all the cars I like seem to be bucking that trend except 36 Cords. ;) 

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Hate to say it- but most guys dont want glass- very very difficult to sell. everybody wants metal...........

This is universal across all of the "kit" cars... Corba's , Willy's. etc.   But usually the glass car is less than 1/2 the steel car,  there is just not as big an audience.

I know that's why I didn't jump on it.  It's nicely finished and nothing funky about it.  like alot of rods,  but Glass doesn't seem to have the soul of metal.  Hard to describe, but I think most of you know.  

I think my 40 is headed for the local swap sheet.  No activity on Craigslist or Facebook.   I mean none.  So have to try a different strategy.  I thought with the trades I would get some more interest. 

One of the few times I wish I had my old shop.  I could have stuck it out front.  Lots of traffic there. 

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I know that's why I didn't jump on it.  It's nicely finished and nothing funky about it.  like alot of rods,  but Glass doesn't seem to have the soul of metal.  Hard to describe, but I think most of you know.  

I think my 40 is headed for the local swap sheet.  No activity on Craigslist or Facebook.   I mean none.  So have to try a different strategy.  I thought with the trades I would get some more interest. 

One of the few times I wish I had my old shop.  I could have stuck it out front.  Lots of traffic there. 

Did you post the 40 here with a price and photos?

Maybe I missed it.

I actually haven't posted it on here officially.  I'll try later today.  I was hoping for a quicker local sale as most members aren't near by.  Then if trades come into the picture that makes it even more difficult if there is any distance involved. 

Ideally I wouldn't mind a half trade half cash deal so I have a fresh toy to play with.  Maybe even a couple of cars if that doesn't sound too crazy. 

Smart to hold off on that hot rod Seeker.  Steel A-v8s and even hopped p 4 cylinder traditionally styled cars are selling faster than clean glass cars with all new components that obviously cost more to build.  If it feels like a kit,  I think it is a problematic car to sell.   

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 6:47 AM, alsancle said:

We have a couple of experts in Curt and John on the forum. I would be interested in their opinion on the market for these cars.   If it was finished I think it would be a bargain, but sometimes the last 10% of a restoration is as expensive as the first 90.

btw,  the two tone isn’t helping me get excited.

The market is fine and car is priced about right.  

Obviously, it needs a top and it will need another top-boot made as I guarantee you owning 3 phaetons that you need "more" boot to fit over a folded down top.  

Car should be worth about 90K (looks like pretty nice work and good color choices) with a few needed  corrections 

The first major one being the top canvas.

The second major one is there are two large vertical assembly seams running the whole distance from top to bumper on the body part of the rear - these were leaded over originally 

Headlight stands need painted, as well as at least taillight stands (and taiilights if you wanted to get them "spot on", but chrome always looks nice)

It needs a clock for the glovebox

Trim rings on the wheels are wrong style

Tire cover needs pin-striping and Auburn decal

Incorrect rubber hood corners

Interior door handle orientation is incorrect - handles should point up.

Rear seat arm rests should  protrude a little more into car - someone adjusted them to deal with their door handle orientation 

Rear Door pocket stikes me as sewn onto door panel instead of I belive they were when new sewn to backside of panel (show through a hole)

Not spotting the rear seat ashtrays in rear doors via angles of pictures 

Originally it would have had a black rubber front floormat verses carpet

Dash would have originally been black on painted sheet metal surfaces

Incorrect cigar lighter receptical, but correct lighter is present

No engine pictures or underside pictures, so cannot evaluate these areas.

A super well restored spot on non-s/c Auburn Phaeton should be well over a 100K - unfortunately there has not been one for sale in a while.  

Bonham's holds the record via 2015 at 192,500 and next lower number is a private sale via 2016 at 140K.  

As to pricing as a whole:  There was a loose cannon S/C Phaeton that sold for peanuts by RM recently - the new owner got a high point car for slightly less than 50 cents on the dollar (car was yellow with red trim and we are all not sure reasons other than possibly there were "some not so sharp tools in the shed" involved in auctioning it at no reserve - the new owner just made a top boot for the car and other than some little stuff now equally being corrected is on its path to winning AACA and CCCA awards this year.  

And, a few older done/so-so done  Boattails have sold a little on the weak side too (but, a few have sold privately for much higher than the public).

As to why a lot of Maroon colors - these cars came in a standard several colors and maroon is probably the better looking of the original color choices. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was avoiding ebay and may only run it on there as a classified ad as last resort. 

It's a slightly less tough market than the A's as there are alot of them for sale right now. 

I really want to sell it to someone that can look at it in person if at all possible.  I want them to be happy with what they are buying. 

I stuck it on the barter section of craigslist and had a couple of inquiries.  One proposed a trade for a 69 Olds 442 Convertible.   It's a decent car.  Then again mine isn't perfect either,  but I'm not much of a Muscel Car guy so it really doesn't do anything for me.  He's also asking 7500 more than I am. 

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/milton-1969-olds-442-convertible-4-spd/6928770658.html

00606_6OehDyx00Mg_600x450.jpg

01313_l388vx4qTbx_600x450.jpg

00G0G_755uHMwd2bt_600x450.jpg

This is the kind of car that drives me crazy.  

I could put a top on it, and make a boot, for less than $1500 in materials.

If I were a younger man (W. C. Fields uncle, a reference few will get) I'd be buying such cars and do the work, have a showroom to sell.

Nice car...

• Like 1