London to Brighton Run Souvenir

TerryB

So tucked away in my box of unusual automotive goods I’ve found over the years is this Irish linen towel type souvenir for the London to Brighton auto rally.  I’ve had it for at least 25 years and know nothing of its origin or if it even came from London.  Seems like a Terry Bond type item so maybe he knows something about it.  Anyone ever see one like it?  The bright line on the bottom is sunshine from a nearby window.

FDB72982-3CD8-45B6-9AE3-8B68A81EB75B.jpeg

• Like 1

Appreciate our thinking of me but I don't believe it's a specific London-Brighton event souvenir.  Many of the images are of cars well outside of the era of authorized run participants, which makes me believe it's a generic gift shop item.  If it were a specific item it would be dated and probably would contain a lot more information.  I'm guessing it is a souvenir shop item sold in Brighton, since the name of the town is in bold letters.  This would be similar to any kind of souvenir you'd pick up in an tourist stop, drug store, gift shop etc that happened to be in the popular resort town of Brighton.  An example would be items available as souvenirs in the Indianapolis area that commemorate the Indy 500. 

As a side-note, the British comedy Genevieve was so popular there was an early 1950s surge in interest in early autos and the London-Brighton run itself.  There was tremendous impact on the old car hobby, and a lot of souvenir items depicting old cars became available and are all over the place today. The movie is quite interesting and the London-Brighton run is the setting.  The "star" of the show was a Darracq named "Genevieve"  Both this car and the 1904 Dutch built Spyker co-star are in the Loughman Museum in the Netherlands.  Although Genevieve was subsequently dated as a 1905 built car and thus not eligible to actually participate in the Run officially, the car has been honored to participate "on show" as it is considered "the Mascot" of the Veteran car movement.

More than you wanted to know, but a fascinating chapter in the history of our hobby.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I figured if anyone had seen a similar item it would be you!  Certainly interesting artifact of of the hobby.  It must be the only one in the world as there are none for sale on eBay 😀.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Terry Bond said:

Appreciate our thinking of me but I don't believe it's a specific London-Brighton event souvenir.  Many of the images are of cars well outside of the era of authorized run participants, which makes me believe it's a generic gift shop item.   Although Genevieve was subsequently dated as a 1905 built car and thus not eligible to actually participate in the Run officially, the car has been honored to participate "on show" as it is considered "the Mascot" of the Veteran car movement.

I agree.  1904 is the cutoff date, as it is limited to 'Edwardian' cars only.  One of the British vintage car magazines featured that Darracq from the 1953 movie 'Genevieve' not long ago.

Craig

I really like the fact that a "Scar" from that 1954 event was left on the car. It caught my eye, and thanks to Google I found the answer. All Elmer Bemis owned cars are special to me since I own the first car he ever restored, the 1912 T Touring that is in my garage as I type this, it still has the 1950 restoration it received in time for the 1950 Glidden Tour. The restoration is three months older than I am. Bob 

437114.jpg

Funny you mention the Glidden tour, a tour participant number that ties in the car was also with this piece.  Naturally I sold the Glidden item years ago along with some Winton lit.  Yes I was young and dumb.

15 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Funny you mention the Glidden tour, a tour participant number that ties in the car was also with this piece.  Naturally I sold the Glidden item years ago along with some Winton lit.  Yes I was young and dumb.

The 1950 Glidden or another year? Bob 

If you have never seen the 1953 British comedy Genevieve, you should definitely give it a watch!  Very funny and vividly shot in full color in England.  The name Genevieve, by the way, is the name of the car, a 1905 Darracq, not a girl.  Here are some clips to spark your interest:

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The 1950 Glidden or another year? Bob 

1950s, I don’t remember the exact year.  I was selling some of my finds to pay for my 1937 Dodge project.  A local used car dealer would buy stuff like this to decorate his office and customer waiting room.