Need 1932 Franklin bellhousing and pedals, driveshaft, etc

Gs70350

Hello to all. Recently purchased a 1932 airman 7 passenger sedan, and found I am missing some key parts to getting it back together. Car was disassembled when I got it and after unpacking all the parts it looks like I’m missing the bellhousing for engine. Have lower cover, have two t81 Warner transmissions that are freewheeling with a control cable so it looks like that’s what I’ll be reinstalling. The throwout bearing and fork are missing, as well as pedals. Looking at pictures these attach to bell housing. The driveshaft is missing. The steering arm/drag link from steering gear to the left front spindle is also needed. If anyone has any of these key items I’d love to hear from you. My email address is gs70350@gmail.com, telephone number is 256-852-7214. I can receive texts. I joined the Franklin club already and am enjoying the database. Thanks in advance! 

Jacob Morse 

Jacob, 

The HH Franklin Club website has a 1932 parts for sale listing that has been running since February 7, 2016. Don't know if the parts are still for sale, but it's worth a gamble. 

"Lots of Parts and supplies from James Drew. Email questions to james Drew at jimdrew417@gmail.com. There are approximately 80 photos of 1932 Franklin car parts and prices. It totals up to approximately $16,000. He would much prefer to make one sale for the entire lot either to one person, or to a group of people, and for that he would cut the asking price in half. The parts are stored in Batavia, NY."

If you joined the Franklin Club then you should have access to the photos and prices.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am bringing a load of parts to the Trek next week that belonged to a member that passed away recently. In the stash is a bell housing with pedals and some linkage. It's marked 31, but should be the same as 32. It's in the back of my truck right now. Too heavy and bulky to ship. Maybe it can hitch a ride your way, or maybe this is a good reason for you to come to the Trek next week.

The 1932 Warner T-81transmission is different than any of the 31 Detroit or Warner transmissions. 

Even the  31 bell housings won't interchange with just any of the three transmissions used in 31. So, they might not mate up to a 32 transmission. Might want to check the  size and shape of the bell housing opening, bolt pattern and depth of the housing first.

Paul

8 hours ago, PFitz said:

The 1932 Warner T-81transmission is different than any of the 31 Detroit or Warner transmissions. 

Even the  31 bell housings won't interchange with just any of the three transmissions used in 31. So, they might not mate up to a 32 transmission. Might want to check the  size and shape of the bell housing opening, bolt pattern and depth of the housing first.

Paul

Paul is correct. The 32 gearbox is different than all of the 1931 boxes. None of the 29-32 gearboxes/bellhousings are interchangeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Did there happen to be the steering box mounted head light hi/low beam switch and the connecting rod for the hand throttle in with those parts ?  They are needed by the new owner of that late member's Series 15.

Paul

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, PFitz said:

Steve,

Did there happen to be the steering box mounted head light hi/low beam switch and the connecting rod for the hand throttle in with those parts ?  They are needed by the new owner of that late member's Series 15.

Paul

I did not see those items. I believe the late owner would have had them on the car if he had them. That's the way he was. I will be back there soon, and I will look.

Thanks Steve.

We're trying to get the hand throttle working again not only to restore it to what should be there, but to make starting easier.

Seems the dimmer switch was removed when the head lights were hooked to a relay and the hand throttle won't work without the switch housing in place to hold the bits for the hand throttle friction clamp and lever arm in place properly. And the hand throttle linkage was likely removed to make room for a large truck oil-bath air cleaner. And then tried to make a hand throttle to fit around it using choke cable.

The Bowen oiler and lines were completely removed, instead of just shutting it off as most do. That left holes in the valve cages for oil leaks onto the cylinders and exhaust manifold.  Those can be plugged, but in the interest of preservation, what parts should be there is the preferred choice.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PFitz said:

Thanks Steve.

We're trying to get the hand throttle working again not only to restore it to what should be there, but to make starting easier.

Seems the dimmer switch was removed when the head lights were hooked to a relay and the hand throttle won't work without the switch housing in place to hold the bits for the hand throttle friction clamp and lever arm in place properly. And the hand throttle linkage was likely removed to make room for a large truck oil-bath air cleaner. And then tried to make a hand throttle to fit around it using choke cable.

The Bowen oiler and lines were completely removed, instead of just shutting it off as most do. That left holes in the valve cages for oil leaks onto the cylinders and exhaust manifold.  Those can be plugged, but in the interest of preservation, what parts should be there is the preferred choice.

Paul

This only shows how much I have to learn about Franklins !

Paul,

Bruce drove the wheels off that car, and he made some weird "upgrades" along the way. As you probably know, he was a mechanic for an International harvester dealer for many years, and there are definitely some IH parts on that car. The air filter for sure, and I think the pushrods as well. I have to finish cleaning out his basement, but most of his spare parts seemed to be series 9 and 1929, almost no side-draft stuff. 

Is the switch a CLUM switch that was used on other makes?

Steve. Not sure if the dimmer switch was used on other makes. It's the three contact version of your 32 steering box-mounted switch. It was used on all 1930 and 31.  Three pictures attached of a 1931 switch, and last is the same switch on a 1930.

Paul 

P1010029.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010030.JPG

30 hi-low swt, hand throt friction device.JPG

• Like 1