Rutenber 33/4x5 (354.4) Engine 1905-18 or so

Bud Tierney

Rutenber was an old-time once quite successful engine builder; auto, launch, stationary per old ads...

One model was their 4cyl 43/4x5 (354.4) offered to the trade in the pre-teen and teen years; used in the 2T and 3T, and some of the 5T Avery Farm and City  Tractor models (a combination farm tractor/road truck) now avidly sought by collectors, I wondered, as idle curiosity, what else this engine may've gone into...

The Jewel advertised this engine, but it was quite short lived...

Does anyone here know of, or have , a list of the early cars/trucks/boat builders that used Rutenber engines?? My own list is made from my own catalogs (very weak on this early period), the Std Cat US cars, Mroz's Truck Ency, Lou Phillips book and random comments from old forums.. I have some 60+ makes listed, most their later 6s, not all verified.

This may be Rutenbers model "U" engine (the ads showing the model U as a six do not match the engine list in those ads, and I think one squib stated the "U" was 41/4))...

Any references or comments appreciated...

WHAT A  GOOF---THAT'S 43/4x5...another senior moment...

Many thxx for comments...

So far the Clark seems to've had a smaller Rutenber (41/2x5=318) one of their then advertised sizes...

However, the Glide did use the 354 engine in several models; or appears to, the b/s matching...

GROAN--(edited)--another goof---half marked off Clark until thought this AM to finish checking--right there in Std Cat, which should be first check, are 30HP fou and 40HP four---the 40 could well've been our 43/4x5, often listed as 40-45 HP (I think one source said it could develop 50)...

Edited by Bud Tierney
Additions (see edit history)

I definitely heard of Rutenber but couldn't remember where they were made or what companies used them. A quick Google search was enlightening. To answer your question they were used for many years by Auburn, also used by Stoddard-Dayton, Moon, Lexington, Meteor, American, Berg, Halladay, Jewel and Westcott. Some were exported for use in the Australian Six.

Also used in Indiana trucks, Wetmore tractors, Howe fire engines, and various marine and stationary applications including carousels.

Here are some pictures of the Rutenber engine used in the Lexington car http://lexhistory.org/wikilex/lexington-motor-car-specifications

Rutenber started in Chicago but moved to Logansport Indiana and renamed the company Western Motor Co. So I would expect they were mainly used in cars made in Indiana and surrounding areas.

RO: So far i have almost 60 names on my Rutenber list, including that Wiki list, altho not all verified. Rutenber himself left the company, the new owners reorganizing and renaming the company Rutenber Mtr Co to retain the reputation. After being passed around, probably in financial deals, they were absorbed by/became a part of/merged/were engulfed by??? Indiana Truck (it's confused; I never took the time to pin it  all down)...

That Lexington motor may well be our 43/4x5, as classic car database has a 354 for the "A" and "B" series, which're in the right timeline...

Somewhere in my scribbles there's a 354 that could be a Rutenber, but it's apparently in pairs, and I wondered if they'd produced the same engine for awhile in "more modern" pairs instead of separates, altho separates seem to've lasted longer in marine applications...fascinating...

LAYDEN: Oh, yes, wonderful old example of advertising people running amok; I remember that illustration from some of their period advertising when I got into Rutenber several tears ago...if I'm counting the manifolds correctly that's probably their introduction of their new six...very nice piece to acquire...